PDA

View Full Version : Disneylandia y Zorro!

merlinjones
10-19-2004, 06:33 AM
In today's miceage update, Al indicates that TDA is finally interested in the needs of the Latino community, a huge unserved guest population. They are changing the food at Rancho del Zocalo to a more authentic menu and bringing back the mariachis in the plaza (both of which make this gringo happy as well!).

Speculation: So that brings me to the rumored Frontierland expansion... it would make sense that the funds would become available if they served to draw an untapped resevoir of guests... so do you think the new area will be Latin-appeal based?

I hope so... because that would mean... Zorro! Latinos still love Zorro, and so do Walt Disney fans. A perfect compliment.

Go Matt and Greg! Viva el Zorro (you can get the rights back if you are determined!).

And don't forget The Three Caballeros - - a perfect bridge from toontown to Frontierland!

stan4d_steph
10-19-2004, 06:53 AM
So what constitutes a "more authentic" menu? :rolleyes:

Hopefully it means something more flavorful than bland Taco Bell-quality food.

AliciasMom
10-19-2004, 07:43 AM
I'll be impressed if they can impress with me with a more authentic menu. I'm huge critic of Mexican food because I was raised with it. My mom, aunts, and grandmothers food... mmmm, just drooling over the thought of their cooking.

I do have to give props to TDA. It would be nice to see a little of the hispanic culture at Disneyland. And I would to love to see anything with the Zorro theme.

tstan70
10-19-2004, 09:25 AM
I doubt you will see more "authentic" mexican food served there. First of all, most visitors to the park enjoy the americanized version of the mexican dishes. Second reason would be that it would be difficult to handle large amounts of food in a way that they would need to to get that "authentic" taste. The food is made on an assembly line and doesn't have the "hand-made" touch that authentic mexican food does

It is a good thought - one I would love to see, but unfortunately we will just see the assmebly line, americanized dishes

olegc
10-19-2004, 10:54 AM
I was thinking about the expansion myself - seeing that the original intent of Frontierland was to talk about the old west, how the pioneers and Union army spread out west on the open range. The other inhabitants were the American Indians.. back when I was a kid (sheesh!) they had the Indians running dances, crafts, war paint on your faces (no curly-qs or smileys!). I don't know the date but at some point the Latino flavor came in - I guess rightly so - and provided some California influence to what the old west was about.

If Frontierland does expand - I hope it's with the premise of still focusing on the wild west. I think it provides a broader spectrum that can include the Southwestern influence of Mexican heritage but also of the pacific northwest and the exploration and invention period (a la Discovery Bay). I'm just a little concerned that we may get another Fiesta Village like knott's up the freeway.

The fact that CM Matt and Greg are on the ball with the "guest experience" (at least from an attractions perspective) this fear is mitigated - but it's still there..

How soon can Eisner be out?!?

disneyperson
10-19-2004, 11:28 AM
I loved the all female mariachi band when we saw them last Dec. in DL. They are all excellent musicians and performed with a lot of class and energy. I hope we see them again soon.

CarlieB
10-19-2004, 11:40 AM
This occassional visitor to the parks would love to see more authentic food - one of the complaints we have about a lot of the food in DL is that it is often so bland:( This is exciting news - I look forward to seeing what happens:)

stan4d_steph
10-19-2004, 12:06 PM
If you want more authentic Mexican on your visit to DLR, go to Tortilla Jo's in DTD. I had their carnitas tacos from the walk-up window. They're fantastic, especially with the salsa verde, and a great deal too.

Andrew
10-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Second vote for the taqueria window at Tortialla Jo's. Try the "MexiCone".

CarlieB
10-19-2004, 12:30 PM
We're definitely going to Tortilla Jo's in December. It wasn't open the last time we were there, but it sounds great.

tstan70
10-19-2004, 01:31 PM
If you want more authentic Mexican on your visit to DLR, go to Tortilla Jo's in DTD. I had their carnitas tacos from the walk-up window. They're fantastic, especially with the salsa verde, and a great deal too.

We will definately be going to Tortilla Jo's when we go in just 41 days!!!

KinLA
10-19-2004, 02:21 PM
I loved the all female mariachi band when we saw them last Dec. in DL. They are all excellent musicians and performed with a lot of class and energy. I hope we see them again soon.
I saw them too and thought they were thoroughly enjoyable. I remember at least one multi-generational hispanic family enjoying the performance as well which is in line with the survey results discussed in the miceage article.

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Good thing im taking Spanish in school instead of French. :)

10-20-2004, 04:41 AM
Good thing im taking Spanish in school instead of French.

Why?

experiment626
10-20-2004, 06:51 AM
The [Vegatarian] Taco Salad is one of our favorite park meals. I hope that they will have something simular to this with the new menu. If not I will be very disapointed.

SoCalDude
10-20-2004, 08:56 AM
oh well -- Rancho del Zocalo was THE place we loved to eat more than any other place in the park. The food there was just great - always had a great meal there.

:crying:

Andrew
10-20-2004, 09:00 AM
oh well -- Rancho del Zocalo was THE place we loved to eat more than any other place in the park. The food there was just great - always had a great meal there.

:crying:
/me misses Casa Mexicana. RdZ was a disappointment after the first month.

SoCalDude
10-20-2004, 09:04 AM
lol, nice little chain going on huh?

We like Mexican food - so we have hopes for the re-done menu, but time will tell.

cstephens
10-20-2004, 10:32 AM

I didn't much care for Rancho at first, so we didn't go for the longest time. We've been back a couple of times lately, and I like it better now. Still Not Casa, but it's somewhere I can eat at now.

tstan70
10-20-2004, 10:49 AM
My guess would be that they will add different types of tacos, burritos, etc to the existing menu. Don't expect to see posole, menudo or tacos de ceso anytime soon!

Just some regional twists to "mexican" food that most americans know and enjoy