PDA

View Full Version : Should I renew using my AP discount, or buy a NEW AP? - November 2004 version

Darkbeer
10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
OK, all those who already received the renewal notice in the mail from Disney should renew under the old prices if you plan to go to the park sometime in 2004.

But this is for folks who will have to renew under the new Annual Passholder Prices effective October 18th, 2004.

I just checked the math in regards to which is better, to renew with a discount, or letting it expire, and get a new AP on the next visit.

If we are talking about a $329 Premium pass, that will be discounted $20 dollars to $309, the cost is 84.658 cents per day, which makes it 23 days worth with the new price.

Therefore for example, if your pass expires 12/1/04, and you would plan to go prior to December 24th, then you will want to renew. But if you weren't planning to return until sometime in 2005, then you will want to let your old pass expire, and purchase a new pass when you return, say February 14th. You pay $329, but you will get an new expiration date of 2/14/06.

With the Deluxe at $209, and $20 off, that makes it $189, and 51.78 cents per day, and therefore, 38 days. So this time, if you would go anytime in the first 38 days after the current expiration date, then renew, otherwise let it expire.

A deluxe with parking, it is 30 days.

Since the SoCal or SoCal Select does NOT offer a discount for renewing, of course, just let the old pass expire and just get a new one on your next visit after the old one expired.

So, let's recap.

If you are a SoCal holder, or a SoCal select, DON'T renew!

A Deluxe holder should renew if they plan to go within 38 days of the expiration date.

A Deluxe with Parking should renew if they plan to go within 30 days.

A Premium AP holder should renew if they plan to go within 23 days.

Andrew
10-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks as always for working this out! It's very helpful for those who need it.

AVP
10-18-2004, 02:36 PM
A Premium AP holder should renew if they plan to go within 23 days.And if you frequently measure the time to your next visit in hours, just fork over the $329 now. I know I will. :eek:

AVP

jiminycesq
01-01-2005, 01:53 PM
My passport expires literally less than a week before the May 5th "unveiling" events. I was thinking about getting a hotel package starting the 4th with an AP certificate, since it is only an extra $170 above the included 4 day pass (and I did not invest time checking whether direct reservations through the hotel without the 4 day pass were more than $159 savings over reservations with a pass...).

But I have always wondered, if you go in and want a new pass, do they care that your old one just expired? I know that the CM's generally want to follow policy without questioning, and I could see one possibly insisting that I cannot use the hotel certificate, but have to renew my previous one.

And, does anyone know if the hotel AP certificates have to be "signed" at the hotel to the person staying, or can be passed on to someone else? Lastly, do you take them to the front gate for admission, or do you go to a ticket booth first for something to get into the Park with?

Thanks for any guidance!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks for doing the math.
Our APs, deluxe, expire on May 18th. We will be going at least one before then, but after that, have no planned trips until the first week in November. By your calculations, it makes sense to not renew and just get a new AP in November, when we go.

friendlypixie
10-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I have a annual passport the i need to renew very soon. Last time i renewed it (last year) i got the discount but that was before they raised the price from $279 to$349. So when i renew my pass this year will i have to pay the new price of $349 or do i pay the price i bought it for? If anyone can answer this it will be greatly appreciated.

hlbtimes2
10-05-2005, 01:43 PM
You'll pay the new price.

K & S
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
I have a annual passport the i need to renew very soon. Last time i renewed it (last year) i got the discount but that was before they raised the price from $279 to$349. So when i renew my pass this year will i have to pay the new price of $349 or do i pay the price i bought it for? If anyone can answer this it will be greatly appreciated.

You pay the new price, but if you renew before your AP expires you will get a $20.00 discount.

$329.00 is better than $349.00.

Darkbeer
10-05-2005, 03:16 PM
^Only if you plan to go to the park within 22 days of renewing a Premium AP.

If you only go every few weeks or so, then follow the guide (I just posted a new version, but the only change was to the Premium)