PDA

View Full Version : Toontown: yay or nay

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pirate Girl
10-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Personally, I cannot stand Toontown. I went in once when it first opened and I have never been back since. Personally, I think it is wasted space that could be used for something that is actually interesting: like a great new e ticket or two.

What s everyone elses opinion?

Wendi
10-17-2004, 09:36 PM
I really don't like it either, but maybe that will change when Max is the right age to enjoy it... I'll let you know soon!

missuniverse78
10-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Personally, I'm not a big fan of toontown but my neice and nephew absolutley love the place. There are a lot of places there for them to explore and play and they are constantly smiling and laughing when they are there. For me, that is reason alone to keep the place. Also, Cartoon spin is alot of fun.

sleepyjeff
10-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Toon Town is an afront to the very reason Walt built the Park in the first place. More than half the attractions there can only be experienced by a very small number of people( gotta be this old, but not taller than this)....Walt wanted attractions that Everybody in the Family could enjoy together. Toon Town is the anti-Tom Sawyers Island :(

CoasterChickie
10-17-2004, 10:26 PM
For younger kids, it's a yay.
For older kids, it's a nay.

We never go in there anymore. Two things stand out vividly from the last time we went....one, we could smell the manure from the petting zoo while we were waiting in line for the roller coaster and two, a family sat next to us while we were eating lunch and let their kid scream and scream and scream!

I Heart Disneyland!
10-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Okay guys, don't shoot me, but, I think Toontown is kind of cute! :confused: I love the slushy drinks they sell down there, and though I do get a little batty with all of the kids (mine are grown up), it's a cute place to sit and people watch for a little while, as I have my slushy! :) I think Minnie and Mickey's houses are cute to walk through, and enjoy Roger Rabbit too. Call me crazy (go ahead, I can take it), it's not my favorite spot at DL, by a long shot, but, I don't dislike it at all. :D

Pilot Mickey
10-17-2004, 10:30 PM
i like toontown, because of Roger Rabbit, and mickey, i just wish i was able to go in goofys bounce house, because even when it first opened i was never able to go in :crying:

ModHatter
10-17-2004, 11:40 PM
I think it served its purpose and milked as much usefulness as it could.

Someone elsewhere was almost violently offended at the mere suggestion of putting a Pixar toon in Toontown. Say what you will, it makes infinitely more sense than Tomorrowland. Be that as it may, if Toontown can't make room for newer, more relevant, more family-friendly attractions, it should be replaced. It certainly needs an upgrade of some sort.

Mistersh0w
10-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Ok, seriously? Toontown rocks!! The only thing that gets me about it is, the trees need to be cartoony too!! How hard would it be to replace the real trees with big cool looking cartoony ones!!? The trees seem so out of place there...Am I alone on this?

Ok here's a perfect opportunity to "pitch" my ULTIMATE Toontown idea!! So, in the movie Roger Rabbit,(which is CLEARLY where the Toontown idea came from...) The entrance to Toontown was through a tunnel with a big red curtain that opens to reveal the cartoon town. So here's my idea...Cover Toontown in a HUGE dome, then re-create the tunnel entrance to Toontown in front! And to explain the dome? i'll get to that in a sec...So to get into Toontown you have to board a six passenger vehicle that goes through the tunnel to enter Toontown. At the end of the tunnel, they could project a cartoon curtain that opens just as you enter! And once inside you see animated cartoon characters EVERYWHERE!! How can they acheive this? Well a cartoon sky can be projected on the dome on the inside, and an animated sun can romp about and greet people as they enter!! It's all projected, much like "Soarin'"...And this would be perfect for gloomy days, and nights, cause the inside of Toontown could always be sunny! Now for the "cartoon" characters. Ok this is sort of a sketchy idea, though I don't see why it wouldnt be possible....Ok, so picture clear Audio-Animatronics with fiber optic projection, much like Madam Leota in Mansion!! You could have all the major disney characters great you as you enter!! And they could all look cartoony by using advanced digital projections! Then, after moving through the entrance to Toontown, you get off of the ride vehicle and enter the Toontown as we know it today, just under the big cartoon sky dome!! And every hour or so, there could be a show in the sky! with all your favorite Disney characters performing a sky show! They could even project fireworks if they wanted to! Though, they would have to project a night sky onto the dome! Think of the endless possibilities!!!

Ok, so maybe I have an overactive imagination....But wouldnt that be a great addition to Toontown!? Think about it! It may not possible to acheive all this now...But I think one day it could be possible as technology advances....I just love cartoons and animation in general, and this would be a fantastic thing to see in person! I dunno, maybe i'm just insane....But wouldnt that be cool?!

Pirate Girl
10-18-2004, 12:02 AM
More than half the attractions there can only be experienced by a very small number of people( gotta be this old, but not taller than this).

That is one of my main reasons for not liking it.

The first and only time I went there I was about 7 years old (give or take, I don't know exactly what year it opened). My brothers and I were very excited about the "cartoon land." So the first thing we did upon arriving (along with the masses) was head for toontown. And we found it massivly boring. Even my 4 year old brother was bored. But we were all very excited about going in Chip and Dales Acorn Crawl (because of course...you definatly couldn't climb through a pit full of acorns at McDonalds, as we informed my mom).

Unfortunatly, I never got to go in the acorn crawl as I was precisely 1 inch too tall. When my mom asked about the logic behind the heighth restriction we were very rudly informed by the cast member working there that I was way too old to be going in the crawl and they have a heighth restriction so that older kids would not hurt the younger kids. This made no sence to me as I was 7 and there were kids who were older than me already inside. After my mom inquired as to why they didn't just use an age restriction if the older kids were such a problem we were informed by another CM (again, rudely :rolleyes: ) that people lied about their kids ages all the time, but they could always tell how old the kid was by their height. My mom got a good laugh when they informed her that I was at least 10, and there was nothing she could do to prove otherwise. She suggested they cut me in half and count my rings. :rolleyes:

Anyway. So that is my one and only experience with Toontown. Bored stiff and then feelings hurt. :|

Tutter
10-18-2004, 01:34 AM
I love Toontown - I think it looks great. I love Mickey and Minnie's houses, I love Roger rabbit's Cartoon Spin. I just wish I could go into the other houses and attractions. Visually I think it is stunning.

rentayenta
10-18-2004, 07:04 AM
ToonTown is clearly geared toward younger kids. My 7 y/o will tolerate it but it's not her favorite. My 5 y/o enjoys it because although she is almost 6, she is the size of a 4 y/o. The baby, 3 y/o, really likes it. I don't mind it so much and now that DH and I have a ToonTown game plan, we can get out of there in less than 2 hours.

Like Tutter said, visually it's stunning. I like how the buildings are interactive as well.

Susan L
10-18-2004, 08:00 AM
I think if my kids were little we would probably be more into it. But, they are teens and we just never seem to end up there. Except for on time me and my daughter went to Toontown in the pouring rain, no one was there and it was kind of freaky.

10-18-2004, 08:34 AM
aka Migrainetown!

mad4mky
10-18-2004, 08:34 AM
I can't stand ToonTown. I hate it.

I will tolerate it for the kids...but I am not crazy about it at all.

Luckily my girls are older now, and they can take it or leave it. Leave it...I encourage them!
But, Kendall still likes it...so we go. I hated it when she was little...and she would run around and do all the 'pushes and pulls and pops' that you can do around the town.
She would go so fast in the crowds, it was hard to keep up with her...and keep an eye on her.

Now...she is at least old enough to let us know she is going...and we can hang back until she comes up to us.

But...if they shut down Toon Town...I wouldn't be sad about it.

sediment
10-18-2004, 09:53 AM
I like it, but it's pretty far off the beaten path, especially when you include DCA as part of the walking decision. There should be more touching of stuff and occurring of noises. Mickey and Minnie's literary choices are worth a chuckle or two. The roller coaster is a 10-minute max wait (meaning any longer and we pass on it), but it's a good starter for the timid little one.

sdfilmcritic
10-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I don't enjoy it because I am older than the target audience, so there isn't much ToonTown can offer me.

sami869
10-18-2004, 10:23 AM
We really like Toon Town (and we're in our early 20s). We always swing by there to ride the Roger Rabbit ride and to take a few goofy pictures. Once we have kids I'm sure we'll spend a lot more time there and enjoy it even more.

VickiC
10-18-2004, 11:01 AM
The roller coaster was the fastest ride our fraidy cat would go on for a very long time so we went a lot. I hate to admit this but what Acorn Crawl? I've never noticed that!

Pirate Girl
10-18-2004, 12:48 PM
I hate to admit this but what Acorn Crawl? I've never noticed that!

I believe it's been closed for a while. A fellow geek told me it was because some of the youngest kids would urinate while they were in there and it was getting unhygenic. :confused:

mystycalchyk
10-18-2004, 12:52 PM
I have a soft spot for Toontown because that's where my hubby proposed. But , umm, yeah, we rarely go there. :(

Vegitabeta
10-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Handling the question in hand...nay

CarlieB
10-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I hate to say it, but I went in for the first time last year. Didn't stay long, either. I can see why kids would love it. But for adults? Meh. On a similar note, I haven't been into the Bug's Land part of DCA yet either. Might venture in for a look this time:)

ModHatter
10-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah... if your kids are urinating in public, maybe just maybe they are not old enough for a theme park. That's a public nuisance.

Having a ride, and even an entire land, that are kid-friendly is fine, but such a place shouldn't be kid-friendly at the cost of excluding older kids and adults. And there should be lands like Tomorrowland that are older-kid friendly, but not to the exclusion of little kids. But from the shows and attractions being opened lately, it seems like every land is becoming a kiddieland, and any form of thrill is being shipped out to DCA, but surrounded by more kiddie rides.

sami869
10-18-2004, 01:19 PM
On a similar note, I haven't been into the Bug's Land part of DCA yet either. Might venture in for a look this time:)

You really ought to at least walk through it once. I know it's not saying much but IMO it's the best themed land in DCA.