PDA

View Full Version : Help... pigeons, seagulls at Disneyland!

Pages : [1] 2

calguy77
10-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I was curious as to why there are no pigeons or seagulls at disneyland. Do you think they kill them or poison them? It odd, but most theme parks have droves of birds that pester you when you are eating. Any help as to why this is would be great.

TruSlack
10-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Mallard Ducks are the natural enemy of gulls. With the ducks around,
the gulls won't fly anywhere near DL. Check out what the par is like when the ducks are missing vs. there, and you'll see for yourself.

Disney Vault
10-17-2004, 02:38 PM
You should see the Magic Kingdom though. There were sooo many birds it freaked me out.

GrumpyUTboi
10-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Maybe they feed the birds Alka Seltzer. That is enough to get rid of the birds permantly. :~D

rentayenta
10-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Thank goodness there are no Seagulls. I live in Utah and the state bird is the Seagull; can you imagine choosing that as your state bird :rolleyes:

sleepyjeff
10-17-2004, 06:40 PM
I live in Utah and the state bird is the Seagull

That's just wrong on so many levels :eek:

Captain Josh
10-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Crows, we mostly have crows at Disneyland. Or at least we did a few times a year or so ago.

rentayenta
10-17-2004, 06:56 PM
That's just wrong on so many levels :eek:

You have no idea ;)

Pirate Girl
10-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Isn't DL a bird sanctuary?

blusilva
10-17-2004, 09:25 PM
The gulls used to rule the parking lot, and many of them seemed to have settled into the Pacific Wharf area of DCA when it first opened. Do they still live there, or have they been chased out?

It's weird, my mom and I were just discussing last night how our neighborhood's crows have disappeared. I live about 20 minutes west (or North, if you go by freeway designation) of Disneyland and we used to have crows in our neighborhood like they had them in Frontierland. They're just gone all of a sudden. She seemed to think it was West Nile Virus. Is there still a thriving colony (or, more properly, murder) of crows at Dland?

sami869
10-18-2004, 10:27 AM
There may not be a lot of pigeons or gulls but there are so many crows it's kind of sary. Sometimes the trees look more black than green because they're jsut full or crows. Crows always seemed sort of evil and creeped me out.

mkcbunny
04-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Mallard Ducks are the natural enemy of gulls. With the ducks around, the gulls won't fly anywhere near DL. Check out what the par is like when the ducks are missing vs. there, and you'll see for yourself.

We have both Mallards and gulls all year round on the lake here in Oakland, plus oodles of pigeons. And in winter, we have thousands of migrant ducks and hundreds of gulls. Gulls are definitely not intimidated by ducks of any type. [It takes a lot to fluster a seagull.] The gulls do try to pick off ducklings, and the Mallards are definitely on the watch for that, but all three birds are perfectly happy hanging around human-filled areas looking for food together.

I'm still curious whether anyone [bradk??? where are you?] knows the real reason there aren't tons of gulls and rock doves [aka pigeons] at DL? I wondered if there was some kind of sonic deterrent, but it seems the crows would be affected, and as several folks have pointed out, there are lots of crows up in the high trees at the park. And occasionally you'll see an egret back behind TS Island when you are riding the train.

As an earlier poster mentioned, WDW is swarming with birds [ibises and egrets mostly, not to mention lots of cute swamp bunnies hopping about!], while DL has a surprisingly low count.

MsYumiBr
04-14-2005, 09:12 PM
The crows moved to Knotts. :p

Flint
04-14-2005, 09:16 PM
they probably spray with chemicals. Most birds HATE the chemical that is used to make "grape soda" flavoring. Airports use that a lot.

(not poisonous, they just hate it... like cats and aluminum foil...)

mkcbunny
04-14-2005, 09:30 PM
they probably spray with chemicals. Most birds HATE the chemical that is used to make "grape soda" flavoring. Airports use that a lot.

(not poisonous, they just hate it... like cats and aluminum foil...)

Interesting, thanks. Mallards are definitely weird on that account. As you can tell, they don't mind swimming in the "special" green water at DL, and they'll swim in chlorinated pools. So maybe a little grape soda can't deter them, either. :)

Whether that's true of all ducks, I don't know, but if there aren't any yummy plants or fish in the water, then many migrants wouldn't find enough food in there to make DL worth staying at. Mallards eat all kinds of things, and the non-migrating ones are basically domestic and adapted to humans and their hand-outs, so they are better adapted to park living than some other kinds of ducks.

mkcbunny
04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
... oh, and now I have visions of CMs spraying the park down with grape soda at night. Maybe that's the special DL smell??? :)

RStar
04-14-2005, 10:09 PM
The gulls used to rule the parking lot, and many of them seemed to have settled into the Pacific Wharf area of DCA when it first opened. Do they still live there, or have they been chased out?

It's weird, my mom and I were just discussing last night how our neighborhood's crows have disappeared. I live about 20 minutes west (or North, if you go by freeway designation) of Disneyland and we used to have crows in our neighborhood like they had them in Frontierland. They're just gone all of a sudden. She seemed to think it was West Nile Virus. Is there still a thriving colony (or, more properly, murder) of crows at Dland?

I live only 5 minutes away from DL, and I know that last summer all the crows in my area dissapeared, and dozens were found dead of West Nile. The people that came to pick them up said we can't get it from the birds, only from the mosqitos and then only the realy sick people would get sick from it.

But the crows still haven't come back. Not that I'm complaining much. I hate the buggers. The wild parrots are noisy, but still cool to watch and fortunatly they are still around.

ILoveChurros
04-14-2005, 11:44 PM
You know, people do eat pigeon in some parts of the world...heck I had some pigeon cous cous in Abu Dhabi, it was good, tastes like chicken. So maybe those pigeons are in the bellies of people...j/k...I dunno.

SCUBAbe
04-15-2005, 06:46 AM
just be happy the sea gulls are not there. they are very aggressive. When I was at sea world a sea gull flew down and took my sandwich right out of my hand. Yes, they had sign everywhere warning about the seagulls, btu I really didn't think it would take food right out of my hand while I was about to take a bite of it...*sigh*

mickeynminnie
04-15-2005, 08:20 AM
I don't remember where I read it, but I heard that DL broadcasts a recorded bird sound that sounds like a bird in distress, which in turn keeps the birds at bay. Don't know if this is true, but it makes sense.

SCUBAbe
04-15-2005, 08:30 AM
I read somewhere that there is actually an invisible dome over the park that keeps all unwanted birds out, but the desired birds know the secret password to get in....:D....there was a rumor floating about that the crows were involved in espionage and tortured a poor duck until it gave the password up. There is now talk of changing it before the crows tell the seagulls...:eek:

mkcbunny
04-15-2005, 08:41 AM
just be happy the sea gulls are not there. they are very aggressive. When I was at sea world a sea gull flew down and took my sandwich right out of my hand. Yes, they had sign everywhere warning about the seagulls, but I really didn't think it would take food right out of my hand while I was about to take a bite of it...*sigh*

The gulls at Epcot were pretty aggressive, as well. They were stalking us for fish 'n' chips. One loud girl was feeding them and then chasing them toward us. I had to go over and talk to her mother, it was so annoying. More the kid than the gulls in that case.

sediment
04-15-2005, 09:17 AM
I like to think it's more that DL is a lot cleaner than other places.

Opus1guy
04-15-2005, 10:36 AM
I was curious as to why there are no pigeons or seagulls at disneyland.

It's thanks to the menu and the voracious appetite of the Cast Members that frequent The Inn-Between.

:)

DisneyCharacter
04-15-2005, 02:33 PM
A lot a times, I will see ducks In Paradise Pier or just randomly walking through either park. I also see crows perched on the top of Space Mountain all the time. They have a problem with bird poop, however, on the roof of the Plaza Inn.