PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys find such great deals?

Pages : [1] 2

Hakuna Makarla
10-15-2004, 04:54 PM
we were going to cancel our trip to disneyland as our car gave out, but I can get it fixed cheaper then getting a new one so I was wondering how to go about getting a good deal on our trip if we are able to go. Do I wait until the air fares go down,then book, or do I book it all now and pay the high prices just in case there is no motels when the air fares are cheaper? Living in a small town we have only 2 air lines and they are not cheap! any help would be great.
We will really have to budget if we are going to go.

Susan L
10-15-2004, 05:28 PM
I paid with a credit card in full our current trip coming up in 7 days 8 months ago, I had them charge the credit card when I booked so by the time our trip rolled around it would be paid off. It worked, I'm down to 200.00 left and that is just sweet. I book packages through AAA and we always stay on site, AAA has always treated us good. We never fly, we drive down from No. Calif and we always rent a mini van, I would rather put the wear and tear on someone elses vehicle.

got2travel
10-15-2004, 05:36 PM
Check out mousesavers.com. Its a great site that lists all kinds of Disney discounts, as well as non-Disney hotels, airline discounts and rental car discounts.

I usually reserve a room once I have an idea of when I want to go. Then I check airfares daily. Yes daily, the prices change that often. I have an idea of what I want to pay, and if the price gets close, then I book. Once I book airfare, I'm usually locked in since most times its nonrefundable. Other times I'll just drive from Northern CA.

I check my hotel every now and then and rebook if it goes lower. Of course I just love all kinds of travel planning, just look at my user name.

Leap for Joy
10-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Book the motel as soon as you find a decent price. You don't have to pay for it until your trip. I usually make a reservation and then watch for better prices and change it as needed. Just make sure you know what the deadline is for changing and/or cancelling a reservation.

For the plane tickets, ask around to determine what other people have paid. Then watch the websites until you get a price you can live with. Keep checking prices for your dates, but also check prices for no specific date -- I think Travelocity does this. Since the airfare is the cost that is driving your decision making, if you find a cheaper price on different dates you might consider changing the timing of your trip.

Wendi
10-15-2004, 06:34 PM
If you are booking a package deal, you really can't find anything cheaper than getawaytoday.org - so check there first. As far as airfares, I always fly Southwest because they are the cheapest. I would suggest trying sidestep.com for travel deals, they are one of the only internet bargain finders that also search the low-fare airlines like SW, Blue, Song, etc. What airlines are available to you? Would it be feasable to travel a little farther to get a cheaper airfare from another airport?

rentayenta
10-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Just by shopping around. Getawaytoday is great. You could use the two rooms at the Fairfield and then add the rest with getawaytoday. March shouldn't be too bad because of the 50th coming up. The hotels will probably offer good deals because so may people are waiting to go. Let us know what you find. How many people and what dates? I'll look for you too.

kisroo
10-15-2004, 06:50 PM
I make sure I've investigated all possible avenues for discounts: Entertainment card, AAA, frequent flyer/frequent "stayer" perks; if you have access to the internet, this is very easy. And I don't stop when I've booked. I check for rates that have dropped so I can call and adjust our price.

I've also learned to not be shy about asking for a good rate based on giving them my business~especially for airlines or hotels that we've been faithful to. Sometimes it really pays off.

Karla~I agree with Wendi~if possible open your search up to an airport within 50 miles and driving for that better rate? We've done that as well and saved as much as $100 a piece on airfare. Just a thought. :)

We also plan our vacations about 6 months to 1 yr in advance to give us time to "pay as we go"...a little each month. That's how we've done Victoria, BC., DLR, Vegas and soon, Hawaii! Plus it gives me more time to figure out exactly what we'll go do and see and more time to be crazy excited about going on a trip! ;)
~kisroo:)

Hakuna Makarla
10-15-2004, 08:00 PM
If you are booking a package deal, you really can't find anything cheaper than getawaytoday.org - so check there first. As far as airfares, I always fly Southwest because they are the cheapest. I would suggest trying sidestep.com for travel deals, they are one of the only internet bargain finders that also search the low-fare airlines like SW, Blue, Song, etc. What airlines are available to you? Would it be feasable to travel a little farther to get a cheaper airfare from another airport?
I would but not several hundred. The closest place we live to take south west airlines is spokane. Also we did take a flight out of Bozeman once, the parking cost us a fortune.
I need to look for other airlines I guess, but we have only 2 here, horrizon and delta. Delta is the 90 miles away airline we took once.
I will go look at getaway.org now, thanks wendy.

Hakuna Makarla
10-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Just by shopping around. Getawaytoday is great. You could use the two rooms at the Fairfield and then add the rest with getawaytoday. March shouldn't be too bad because of the 50th coming up. The hotels will probably offer good deals because so may people are waiting to go. Let us know what you find. How many people and what dates? I'll look for you too.
Hi hon, it will be myself and the 3 kids. I am looking at staying at the fairfield all the time so we do not have to move unless another motel gives us a better rate after the 2 days there. I am doing a search every night on air fares, I am praying for a better deal then I am seeing.:eek:

stan4d_steph
10-16-2004, 08:41 AM
My suggestion is to save up and wait. Disneyland isn't going anywhere.

adriennek
10-16-2004, 09:56 AM
I agree with Stephanie.

I think you are dealing with some handicaps that other travellers don't face, Karla. The most obvious one is distance and location. Many other posters live closer to bigger airports that offer much more reasonable airfares. Others save money by driving to Disneyland instead of flying. For many, Disneyland is less than one day's drive. Even if you drove instead of flew, however, you would be faced with a dilemma because it would take you several days and hotel costs.

I'd cancel this trip and save up for later when you can better afford it. Even people who live closer and have better travel options often have to do this to afford their trips.

Adrienne

Hakuna Makarla
10-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Rachal and I talked about it this morning, we really want to go back, even Beau wants to go bad, but you are right, we will hold off and save up because we want to really see magic mountain, and also the subs so if we go in MArch we will miss the new stuff and the 50th. So like rentayenta we will go at christmas time next year ( around thye first week in December) we can save up, and slowly pay on our trip,this way we can stay at the on site motels :) and have a magical time. Its just not possible now and with christma and such saving 3,000 diollars by march is highly unlikely now. Thanks all for your input I appreciate it much**karla

MammaSilva
10-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Karla, I applaud your decision to wait/save. A couple thoughts from a mom and very experienced traveler with special needs kids. I'm not sure what the draw of Magic Mountain is for you but let me share a few things. Beau is so NOT going to like Magic, AT ALL.....it's not special needs friendly under the best of circumstances. They have NO type of special assistance considerations, the lines are awful, there is little to no shade and to be a bit un PC, the guests at Magic are not the same type of guests you find at Disney or even at Knotts (and I'm not a big fan of knotts but do admit they have a decent special assistance program) Their staff are not endoctrinated with guest service qualities and rude is just the standard of the day.

IF you wanted to experience something other than Disney on your next trip, why not think of Legoland, a place that beau might flourish in? A park designed for small ones might just be the thing for a second park on a trip like that.

Hakuna Makarla
10-16-2004, 10:23 AM
Karla, I applaud your decision to wait/save. A couple thoughts from a mom and very experienced traveler with special needs kids. I'm not sure what the draw of Magic Mountain is for you but let me share a few things. Beau is so NOT going to like Magic, AT ALL.....it's not special needs friendly under the best of circumstances. They have NO type of special assistance considerations, the lines are awful, there is little to no shade and to be a bit un PC, the guests at Magic are not the same type of guests you find at Disney or even at Knotts (and I'm not a big fan of knotts but do admit they have a decent special assistance program) Their staff are not endoctrinated with guest service qualities and rude is just the standard of the day.

IF you wanted to experience something other than Disney on your next trip, why not think of Legoland, a place that beau might flourish in? A park designed for small ones might just be the thing for a second park on a trip like that.
Canyou believe it, I meant to say space mountain. I am so blond at this moment:D I would never go to magic mountain,. thanks for clearing this up mamma silva . I probably won't be able to take Beau on many of the rides in disneyland next year, I am praying I will have a friend ( coasterchickie or rentayenta :) ) with me for a few days :D so I can go on a few big rides with rachal. and of course the coaster with coasterchickie!

MammaSilva
10-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Disney is almost always more fun when shared with good friends! And don't underestimate Beau, another advantage of waiting a bit longer is that at his age they are changing almost moment by moment. He may be a lot more mature/ready to experience things in another year or so.

mystycalchyk
10-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Count me in as another who books her hotels early and then checks for airfare rates afterwards. Also we always drive to a better airport. We COULD fly out of Flag but egads the prices are horrible, so we bite the bullet and drive 2 1/2 hours to the Phoenix airport for cheaper rates. Literally I can fly out of (and have) from Phoenix for $25 one way. The stupid thing is that with the 2 1/2 hour drive, plus getting to the airport 2 hours early, then the hour flight to John Wayne and the hassle of getting a cab and getting to our hotel we are usually at close to 6 hours and we can drive from Flag in 8 :rolleyes: But with gas prices so high its still better to fly than drive. YMMV

rentayenta
10-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Canyou believe it, I meant to say space mountain. I am so blond at this moment:D I would never go to magic mountain,. thanks for clearing this up mamma silva . I probably won't be able to take Beau on many of the rides in disneyland next year, I am praying I will have a friend ( coasterchickie or rentayenta :) ) with me for a few days :D so I can go on a few big rides with rachal. and of course the coaster with coasterchickie!

Count me in :D DH won't return until Space is going again so next Dec. sounds great. My oldest is like a little momma so she'd get a kick out of helping tend the boys.

CoasterChickie
10-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Karla...I am really flexible with my dates so whenever you decide to go just say the word and I will be sure to go at the same time. I want you to get the beat deals possible. I'll keep my eyes open for any good deals I see and let you know. :)

rentayenta
10-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Karla...I am really flexible with my dates so whenever you decide to go just say the word and I will be sure to go at the same time. I want you to get the beat deals possible. I'll keep my eyes open for any good deals I see and let you know. :)

We are still going in March; I said DH won't go until March. I'm coming out for my birthday :D

CoasterChickie
10-16-2004, 07:35 PM
We're still planning to go in March too. Disneyland Forever and his cousin are going too so we'll probably all drive down together. I'm also going to see if my sister wants to go since her birthday is March 4th. So if anyone knows of any really great deals at any of the DLR hotels that week please let us know!!

drew1house
10-19-2004, 05:29 AM
After waiting (Not kidding) at legoland for the bike powered coaster for 2.3 hours I am a huge fan of fastpass... Our kids were about done after spending 25% of our day in that line... Were not going back there... also disney is better for really little kids... familiarity and all. Legoland is good for 6-12 year olds.

TimBuk2
10-19-2004, 05:45 AM
I always check ORBITZ.COM first to see prices of all airlines and hotels in the area. And if need be, get a hotel a little farther away in Orange County.

I just booked a hotel right across the street from D-Land for the 50th Anniv next July. It's a 3-bedroom suitefor only $159.

rentayenta
10-19-2004, 06:51 AM
I always check ORBITZ.COM first to see prices of all airlines and hotels in the area. And if need be, get a hotel a little farther away in Orange County.

I just booked a hotel right across the street from D-Land for the 50th Anniv next July. It's a 3-bedroom suitefor only $159.

WOW! That's a great deal; what hotel?

LLevy
10-20-2004, 12:17 PM

Also for more of us that travel in groups..- What hotel???

Thanks

L

Hakuna Makarla
10-20-2004, 12:21 PM

What hotel???????????? we are all dying to know LOL!:D