PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland versus DisneyWorld

curious
10-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Which place do you like most and why?

stan4d_steph
10-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Both parks have their pros and cons. It tends to come down to which park you grew up with or in which you spend most of your time.

missuniverse78
10-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Disneyland, because it's the original one. It just seems "cozier" to me, if that makes sense.

Permanecer Sentados
10-14-2004, 08:08 AM
I think the comparison is unfair. One park vs. a whole resort?

Why not just compare Disneyland with Magic Kingdom instead?

Oh, and despite ALL the problems, I still choose Disneyland over MK.

sediment
10-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Again?
Someone will point out the recent and historical threads on this.

Question back to you: what are you looking for? Are you trying to decide which one to go to on a vacation? Are you one of those energy thingies from Star Trek that gains strength when others are fighting?

If you're trying to decide which one to go to, I suggest going to both at lest once in your life. That way, you'll have an answer that fits you.

I like them both, for different reasons.

Disneyfreak
10-14-2004, 11:29 AM
It's funny how Disneyland is compared to a whole resort. It goes to show how good Disneyland is if you are comparing it to a whole resort. I also believe it is better then all of WDW. So Walts imagination defeated a whole plan of greedy business men.

daannzzz
10-14-2004, 11:51 AM
If you just compare Disneyland with the Magic Kingdom I would give the edge to Disneyland but if I could I would alternate between the two parks on each trip. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
If you want to compare Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort I will take WDW amolst all the time. Aside from the MK I think Epcot and the Animal Kingdom are much, much superior parsk to DCA and equate DCA and the Disney MGM studios to a degree as beeing the weakes parks but having all that property and all those hotels and water parks and a larger DtD makes for a nice long vacation.

Javanod
10-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Are you one of those energy thingies from Star Trek that gains strength when others are fighting?

LOL Now that takes me back!

In true geeky, non-disney fashion, I believe sediment is refering to this

http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200303/tos-066-the-beta-xii-a-entity/320x240.jpg

from here. (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/TOS/detail/68792.html) :geek:

Otherwise, having not been to MK in WDW, I can't contribute to this discussion.

I would, however like to know if there is ever a good time of year to make this comparison, because I've never been in Orlando and been happy with the weather.

Mark Goldhaber
10-14-2004, 06:40 PM
LOL Now that takes me back!

In true geeky, non-disney fashion, I believe sediment is refering to this
In a really odd bit of synchronicity, I was just pondering today the possibility of naming our newest server Kang. :geek:

alora
03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Which place do you like most and why?
I only ever been to Disneyland, and yes, we love it there. But we have the opportunity to fly over to Orlando (a big trip for us), to see Walt Disneyworld.

ActionMarco
03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
I just visited WDW last may and am heading there agian this end of may. Both resorts are great IMO. Disneyland vs Magic kingdom. Disneyland gets the edge on this one. The one thing I was really excited about the magic kingdom was the castle. WOW. Huge and beautiful. I spent like 40 mins last year just staring at it. But Disneyland is better though. But as a whole resort, wdw is a better vacation spot than disneyland resort. You can see big differences between Disneyland and the Magic kindgom. I have to agree though that Disneyland does feel more cozy than MK. There is just something about disneyland knowing that walt was there to see it. Also no matterhorn!! Something I love to see when I enter disneyland. My favorite park in WDW turned out to be Animal Kingdom. Something I wish we really really had. :( Both resorts are beautiful and make people happy. Thats what counts!

seattlemom
03-21-2005, 07:23 AM
I'll tell you why I like Disneyland better than Magic Kingdom. We typically go in November, and we have been to both WDW and DLR during the same time of year. We have small children who need a nap in the afternoon. Let's say we're done with our nap and leaving our motel room to visit the park again around 4:00 or 4:30.

Disneyland: we walk across the street and stay until close at 8:00 or 9:00.

Magic Kingdom: we get into the car, drive there, catch the ferry or the monorail, and stay until close at 6:00. Yes, we can go to EPCOT until close, but we're really more into the Magic Kingdom type parks.

For us it's no contest. If we went at other times of the year, we might reconsider.

Crazy4DL
03-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Let me just say I have only been to DL and we hope to make a trip to DW when the grandkids are a bit older so I can only say we love DL but I have a funny story that kind of ties in on this thread.

My dil was using a map of the United States to teach her 4 yr old the different states. He was showing me the map and pointed to California and said "that is where Disneyland is" and then pointed to Florida and said "and the pretend DL is over there" :D :D It is only because he has never been to DW but we got a chuckle out of it.:D

HorizonsA
03-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Both parks have their pros and cons. It tends to come down to which park you grew up with or in which you spend most of your time.

I agree. But after going to WDW and visiting their Magic Kingdom twice, I can compare and contrast the two parks: (This may take a while)

Main Street
DISNEYLAND: We have The Walt Disney Story, Featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.
DISNEY WORLD: They have The Walt Disney Story.
DISNEYLAND: The Disneyland Railroad has four stops all together, New Orleans Square, Mickey's ToonTown Depot, Tomorrowland, and Main Street Station, plus we get a view of the Grand Canyon and the Primeval World.
DISNEY WORLD: The Walt Disney World Railroad has three stops all together, Frontierland, Mickey's ToonTown [Fair], and Main Street. They have no GC, or PW. You have to go to the Universe of Energy to see those, minus the GC.
DISNEYLAND/DISNEY WORLD: The shops/dinning are pretty much the same, only they have different looks/facades

Adventureland:
DL: We still have the original Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, minus the Offenbach number.
WDW: They HAD the original show, renamed, Tropical Serenade, but now they have The Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management, featuring Iago and Zazu as the managers for the show. The original show, totally taken out :mad:
DL/WDW: I have not been on WDW's Jungle Cruise
DISNEYLAND: We have the much shorter version of the Swiss Family Treehouse entitled, Tarzan's Treehouse.
WDW: They still have the original version.
DL: We have the awesome, irreplacable, Indiana Jones Adventure
WDW: They don't
DL: We have Aladdin's Oasis
WDW: They have The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (a dumbo/astro orbitor-like ride)

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE/LIBERTY SQUARE
DL: Our Pirates of the Caribbean is themed to a bayou at first with swamps, banjo music, plus we have two dips, one long one, and one short one.
WDW: Their PotC is in their Adventureland. Their's is themed to a fort-like style, with dungeon type walls and an Indiana Jones-like queue. They also have one tiny dip that goes right into the Bombardment Scene.
DL: Our Haunted Mansion is themed to a Southern Plantation manor home. Pretty cleaned up and very kempt on the outside.
WDW: Their Haunted Mansion is themed to a more Gothic feel. It looks spooky just by looking at it. Their version is pretty much the same as ours, except you don't have gallery of morphing portraits, instead that is exchanged for a Library with marble busts that seem to move with you. The only morphing portrait is the picture of Master Gracey, you this in the Foyer as he transforms into his skeletal self. We at Disneyland may notice this painting in our Haunted Mansion as it replaced the April/December portrait.
DL: We have The Disney Gallery
WDW: They have The Hall of Presidents, which I've yet to see. (I hear it's fascinating)

Frontierland/Critter Country
DL/WDW: Both Big Thunder Mountain Railroads have the same, they are just mirror images of themselves. Although WDW's Thunder travels to the waterfront, ours is more "inland."
DL: Our Splash Mountain is in its own themed land. Our boat system is now the seven passenger log. 5 people sit single file, two persons are allowed to sit side-by-side in the back.
WDW: Their Splash Mountain ispart of Frontierland; Critter Country does not exist. Their boat system allows eight people in each log, each row side-by-side. The attractions are generally the same with a few slight differences, but I can't say that either one is better than the other. Although, I do like DL's facade better. People might say that they are the same, but they really aren't. Look at photos of both.
WDW: They still have the original Country Bear Jamboree
DL: We have The Many Adventure's of Winnie the Pooh.
DL: We have Davu Crokett's Explorer Canoes.
WDW: They don't
DL: We have the Mark Twain Riverboat and the Sailing Ship Columbia
WDW: They have [I Forget What Their Boat is Called]Riverboat.
DL/WDW: Both Tom Sawyer Island's are the same, with a few differences here and there.
DL/WDW: Both have the Frontierland Shootin' Exposition/Arcade

Fantasyland
DL: We have...Snow White, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Dumbo, Casey Jr., Mad Tea Party
WDW: They have...Snow White, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, an enclosed Mad Tea Party, a no water Dumbo.
DL: We have King Artur Carrousel
WDW: They have Cinderella's Golden Carrousel, same attraction, different name.
DL. Our Small World is much larger than their.
WDW: They've put a copy of our facade into their attraction at their laoding platform.
DL: We have my all time favorite, Matterhorn Bobsleds
WDW: They don't.
DL: We currently have Snow White...An Enchanting Musical
WDW: They have Mickey's PhilharMagic, which I have no clus what it is about.

Tomorrowland
DL: We're embarrassed to say that our Astro Orbitor is on the ground.
WDW: They still have their's on the Observation Deck.
DL: We have Star Tours
WDW: They have the TimeKeeper, which is really good. Their ST, is in a whole other park.
DL: We have Hiney, I Shrunk the Audience
WDW: They have Stitch's Great Escape!
DL: We have the Innoventions inhabiting the Carousel Theatre
WDW: They still have Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress, which I applaud them for.
DL: Our Space Mountain is one tracked, twelve people can sit in each train.
WDW: Their SM is dual tracked, six people may sit in each train, much more sudden drops.
DL: We have an abondoned track
WDW: They still have the PeopleMover, or Tomorrowland Transit Authority.
DL: Our Autopia is way longer and we go all over the place
WDW: Their Tomorrowland Indy Speedway goes in a figure eight.
DL/WDW: Both now have a Buzz Lightyear attraction.

DL: Our Sleepin Beauty Castle is colorful with pink, gold and enriched blue.
WDW: Cinderella Castle is just gi-normous! Their castle is pretty good looking.

That's my Compare/Contrast Report. Someone else can do ToomTown, I haven't been to theirs.
Based on the info above, you be the judge.

WITron
03-21-2005, 10:47 PM
One thing you forgot to mention is thet at DL in Frontierland/New Orleans Square at night is Fantasmic. At DW it is in a different park in a stadium built specifically for it.

mkcbunny
03-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Someone else can do ToonTown, I haven't been to theirs.

Toon Town in DLR is better. In WDW, it's a straight path from the train station without the high backdrops and "surround" feel of Toon Town CA. It's kind of boring. I am not a big fan of TT, but DLR is better IMHO; it has a better kiddie coaster, plus it has Roger Rabbit.

[BTW, Hall of Prez at WDW is quite impressive; the animatronics are almost creepy, with all of the figures twitching and chatting and moving.]

I just went to WDW for the first time last May, after years of being accustomed to Disneyland, and I agree that DL is much cozier, inviting, and charming. WDW is bigger, MK is more spread out, and honestly, we found the crowds more obnoxious and pushy.

The biggest advantage DLR has, we thought, is actually the smaller scale. At DLR, we never rent a car. You can stay within walking/shuttle distance, walk to Downtown Disney, and walk between parks. At WDW, it's miles between parks and from yoour hotel, wherever you stay. I know a lot of people use the WDW transportation, and that's fine, but we always rent a car to allow more park-hopping, midday rests, grocery shopping etc. Even with a car, there's still the whole Transportation Hub you MUST use to get to the Magic Kingdom. The whole traveling around process is exhausting. On that count alone, being at DLR is so much more relaxing. My friend and I are seasoned Disney guests, and we know how to do it well and quickly, with minimum waits and maximum fun. And we were beaten down tired after both trips to WDW [in a good way, but exhausted nonetheless].

If you are used to DL, I think the main disappointment in MK is Fantasyland. What really makes DL feel so magical is the charm and coziness. Fantasyland at MK is too spread out and cold. The castle really is awesome, MUCH bigger than at DL, but inside the land ... there's no Alice, no Matterhorn, no boats, no train ... it feels like half of Fantasyland is missing. And the teacups, while faster, are covered, so there's no view of Disney spinning around about you.

I'm not saying that WDW isn't worth a trip. It is. And MK has some better rides [see below]. If you grew up on WDW, you might think DLR is "too small" and be disappointed in another way. I'm just saying that we didn't "feel the love" at MK the way we do at DL.

What's better in FL?

This is almost sacreligious, but Splash Mountain is better. It's the same, but also totally different. Most of the scenes are different, the song selection is different, and most importantly, the paint is fresher and the colors brighter. Even the leaves hanging down from the trees look good and varied. It's our favorite ride at DL, and I was shocked to admit that WDW is just a bit better.

Same for BTMRR. It's not identical. The ride feels like it has more oomph at WDW, and the desert sets, while very similar, are more interesting. That may be subjective, but we found it to be a better experience. And, as with the castle, it's BIGGER. Everything at WDW is BIGGER. It's sometimes a bit overwhelming rather than welcoming.

Some people say Haunted Mansion is better, but we didn't see that. [And with Pirates, there's no contest. WDW is much shorter, and DLR is far superior.]

We also came down in favor of WDW's Space Mountain. Really cool effects [which are presumably being imported into the revamped version at DL this year]. And they have the Tomorrowland Transit Authority, which is like the old DL PeopleMover. It's a great, relaxing ride. One of our favorite hidden gems.

I'll be visiting DLR in May, for the first time since going to WDW. So we'll see if my memories hold true and I feel the same way after going back...

mkcbunny
03-28-2005, 06:57 PM
What's better in FL?

And I forgot to mention the funnel cake: WDW wins. At MK, it's made fresh and piping hot from batter and deep-fried in front of you. It was so fresh and hot, you had to wait to eat it so you wouldn't burn your mouth.

Last time we went to DCA, at Paradise Pier the funnel cake was not "real." It was pre-made, frozen, then cooked. If I recall correctly, it was indeed fried, but it's not the same. Has to be "funnelled" out using fresh batter.

Checking threads about funnel cakes at DLR, it sounds like they don't get high marks, so I am guessing the pre-made process hasn't changed. But maybe it has. And we only investigated that one stand. When I go back in May, I will be looking for fresh funnel cakes!

Hi-Ho
03-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I would definitely have to say WDW. I grew up going there as a kidd, so I am certain that plays a major role in my preference. That said, I like the variety of parks and the option of the water parks. LOVE Blizzard Beach. The number of affordable themed Disney hotels is fun too - DL just doesn't have those options. My husband and I went to Pleasure Island in downtown Disney and really enjoyed the Adventurer's Club. Again, WDW offers some variety in the entertainment. And every park, hotel, restaurant is contained in what seems like it's only little world! A world that I just love!