PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Cove??--Anybody

AIRLINE
11-26-2001, 12:14 PM
Avalon Cove opened last Wednesday (the day before Thanksgiving) and was wondering if anyone from MousePlanet (general members or those who write columns for MP) has been over there to check-out the "new" menu, food, service and character greetings?

If so, what were your impressions, thoughts, likes and dis-likes?

We were going to over this afternoon for lunch, but my dog became ill this morning, so I'm watching her instead.

We'll find out soon enough.

I did notice that as we passed by the restaurant on Sunday, I had the chance to glance downstairs at the outdoor patio and nobody was out there...it was cold Sunday (for Orange County), so, that was not an indicator as to how the crowds were as I could not see inside the indoor section of the dining area.

We went by at about 4:30 p.m., and as we passed by the hostess stand, we did not notice anybody waiting to be seated or for that matter, anyone other than cast members outside the front door.

I'm sure someone from the MP staff (Al, Karl Buiter, etc.) will have a review...but then again, maybe not...as I come away with the opinion that most MP staff do not like or care for DCA.

downingfamily1
11-26-2001, 12:55 PM
Somebody please reply.
My family is coming to Disneyland and DCA next week and we were also wondering if Avalon Cove is worth a visit.

Julie
11-26-2001, 06:08 PM
I'm interested to know too. :)

I was at DCA yesterday around dinnertime, and noticed that Avalon Cove looked pretty deserted. Unfortunately, the group of friends I was with didn't want to check it out.

MickeyD
11-26-2001, 09:10 PM
Ok, we went to Avalon Cove tonight. It was.....eh, average. First of all, the restaurant was pretty empty, I felt kinda bad for them. The cool thing was that the characters were out in full force. Ariel was there, Goofy, Pluto, Minne and briefly Chip and Dale. Second of all, $20.00 is a good price for three courses, but I don't know about most of you, but I don't generally eat three courses, I didn't finish anything, the soup, dinner or dessert. I had the chicken noodle soup, and didn't like it because there was too much pepper in it for me. My boyfriend had the onion soup, and didn't like it, but I'm not sure why. I had the chicken pot pie for the entree, and I didn't care for that too much, I was expecting it to be more traditional. My bf had the cheeseburger,which looked good to me. For dessert my bf had the churro and ice cream and didn't like it very much. I had the brownie and rocky road ice cream and liked it a lot, but found it to be too rich to finish. Sorry, I wish my review was more positive. All in all, it will be a while before I return to Avalon Cove. Any questions?

80S ERA
11-27-2001, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by MickeyD
Any questions?
Yeah - how did the 2 of you manage to ditch Napsto? :D

Just kidding.

Was the bar section of the resturant open? How was the service?

AIRLINE - Hope your dog is doing OK now.

oohykitten
11-27-2001, 10:07 AM
Stupid question, how does the Ariel thing work? Is she in human form or does she just have a location like in Disneyland.

MickeyD
11-27-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

Yeah - how did the 2 of you manage to ditch Napsto? :D

Actually if you must know, Napsto was not only invited, but I actually groveled (sp?) to try to get him to come with us. But he wouldn't. Not even when I told him it's what I wanted for my birthday. *sniff* :crying:

Anyway, the bar is upstairs, right? If it is then it was open, but we didn't go in there. The service was really good, because there were very few of us in the restaurant. The bus person waited near our table and cleared plates away as soon as we were done.

Ariel is a person who sits on a bench or something and talks to you as you come in the restaurant. It was fun to interact with her since she actually talks.

FredofLasVegas
11-27-2001, 12:31 PM
Yes, I went to Avalon Cove while at DCA last Friday while at DCA. I am very skeptical about paying $20 for a meal at today's corporate theme parks, but I must say that I felt it well worth the price. The price includes soup or salad, one of their entrees, a dessert, beverages, and two nice touches which I will get to later.

First you are started off which a basket of pretzel sticks with dipping sauce, followed by the soup or salad. I had the onion soup, hope it would be similar to French Onion and it almost was, so I was happy.

I ordered the Vegetable Lasagna, which surprisingly was very well portioned and quite tasty. I love lasagna, although not too excited about it without meat, but this was quite good. Afterwards I ordered the peach cobbler, which again, was delicious!

After of all that---our waitress brought out a nice touch---a fairly large ball of cotton candy! Ireally don't care for cotton candy due the large portions that are sold, but the modest size here was fine for me.

Our waitress Vanessa was very pleasant. As being a waiter myself, I could tell she was breaking in her script--as I have gone through that many times---but she was did very genuinely friendly and made the experience all the more enjoyable.

As for the characters, I really don't take much of it all to heart, but one very funny thing happened. Minnie was greeted a table full of boys near us. One of them did something to her (maybe hit her in the nose), and she then stormed off. A few minutes later we saw Minnie coming back while dragging Goofy along to "scold" the boys for doing what they did to her. It was quite hilarious. While Goofy was at the table, Minnie came to ours and took pictures with us. It was the icing on the cake!

bluepearl
11-27-2001, 12:36 PM
They wouldn't at all be willing to let two people split the fee, would they? I mean, I don't eat large meals when I'm out there, and I most certainly wouldn't be able to finish all that was available to me, so my friend and I were wondering if they'd let us share a meal (otherwise, it would be a big waste of uneaten food). I'm really curious about that.

Lani
11-27-2001, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by bluepearl
They wouldn't at all be willing to let two people split the fee, would they?Unless the restaurant is offering prix fixe menus, I don't see why not. Some of the nicer restaurants will charge a plate fee so you may end up paying an extra $7 or so to split a meal. You might also consider speaking to the restaurant manager and suggest offering lighter portions for a cheaper price.

80S ERA
11-27-2001, 01:04 PM
Actually if you must know, Napsto was not only invited, but I actually groveled (sp?) to try to get him to come with us. But he wouldn't. Not even when I told him it's what I wanted for my birthday. *sniff* :crying:
Guess he didn't want to be 3rd wheel?:cool:

bluepearl
11-27-2001, 02:40 PM
Thanks lani! I'll be sure to check that out when I get the chance next time.

AVP
11-27-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by AIRLINE

I'm sure someone from the MP staff (Al, Karl Buiter, etc.) will have a review...but then again, maybe not...as I come away with the opinion that most MP staff do not like or care for DCA.

Hey, Hey, Hey!

Some of us like DCA! Kevin Yee, who usually does the foods columns, has been a little sidetracked these past two weeks. I'm sure he'll tell you all about it when he gets back!

AVP

MickeyD
11-27-2001, 08:11 PM

Guess he didn't want to be 3rd wheel?:cool:

Oh sure, take his side.

I also forgot to mention that the atmosphere was really awesome. My boyfriend and I both really liked the decor (sp?).

MickeyD
11-27-2001, 10:02 PM
My boyfriend had the onion soup, and didn't like it, but I'm not sure why.

Apparently my boyfriend is a lurker because he said to me today, "What do you mean you don't know why I didn't like the soup?" He says it tasted like water and onions. (Well, it WAS onion soup!)

AIRLINE
11-28-2001, 01:59 PM

AIRLINE - Hope your dog is doing OK now.

Thanks for your concern. I took her over to the vet and ordered her a couple of euthanasia pills and that took care of the problem. Talk about going to the "glue factory"!

Just kidding...she has a slight bacterial infection.

I mentioned to the vet it couldn't be the food we give her...we buy the 100 pound bag of Bargain Hound at Food 4 Less for $6.99.

Sure we do.....LOL

No, she is fed Science Diet.

I have to assume that on Turkey Day, someone in the house "snuck" her some goodies from the table and whatever it was, made her ill. Kind of like what airline food does to me! Everyone says...oh no...we didn't give Helga anything...I say you're all full of XXXX!

She's now taking medicine and eating a special kind of Science Diet. After a few days of meds...she'll be as good as new.

Right now, she's laying down at my feet (upside down), just sleeping away the afternoon!

Too bad I can't take her over to DCA...she would be an attraction all on her own! Would that get the attendance up?

hbquikcomjamesl
11-28-2001, 03:40 PM
I have to assume that on Turkey Day, someone in the house "snuck"
her some goodies from the table and whatever it was, made her ill.

Funny: I had a dog who lived to be downright ancient on a diet that consisted largely of stale bologna. As I recall, he could also tolerate far more chocolate than he had any right to.

Of course, he was a mutt from the pound; that may explain much about his ability to eat things that would kill a purebred rather quickly.