PDA

View Full Version : I scream, you sceam, for Fantasia ice cream!

villain
10-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Hey All!

Sunday I was at DL and a CM at Gibson Girl shared with me that DL recently changed from Carnation to Dreyer's Ice Cream.

The bad news was that she stated that Dreyer's is not making everyone's love it or hate it Fantasia Ice Cream. :( The CM also stated that once the current stock is depleted that will be the last of Fantasia Ice Cream.

Has anyone heard any additional information about this??

Andrew
10-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Carnation and Dreyer's are both Nestle brands. In fact, the Carnation brand is only used for "Instant Breakfast (http://www.carnationinstantbreakfast.com/)" products anymore, notwithstanding the nostalgically-named Carnation Cafe and Carnation Plaza Gardens. I see no particular reason why Nestle/Dreyer's couldn't supply the parks with Fantasia ice cream, since Nestle/Carnation has done so for years.

Dlandmom
10-13-2004, 09:36 AM
I sure hope Andrew's right. I'd really miss Fantasia ice cream! Well, maybe if they discontinue it, they'll just bring back the flavors individually, and we'll just all have to order a triple scoop!

DCAWhites
10-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Man I'd wish they would change it over to Haagen Daaz ice cream, also a nestle brand. MMMM dulce de leche :D

villain
10-13-2004, 10:28 AM
I believe this flavor is only served at DL! I wonder if they are discontinuing this flavor due to cost? All the other flavors are standard ice cream flavors, this one is a unique recipe.

This may be another example of Disney saving a buck at the cost of guest satisfaction.

How effective is making a complaint at City Hall?

sediment
10-13-2004, 10:37 AM
I believe this flavor is only served at DL! I wonder if they are discontinuing due to cost? This may be another example of Disney saving a buck at the cost of guest satisfaction.

How effective is making a complaint at City Hall?
Effectiveness is directly proportional to your cost of admission for the day.

If Disney wants Fantasia ice cream, then Dreyers/Carnation will make it. If Dreyers/Carnation wants to continue serving ice cream at DL, that is.

It will probably depend more on whether Fantasia ice cream is selling as well or better than other flavors, especially if it costs a nickel more to produce (speculating).

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-13-2004, 12:14 PM
What is flavor is it?

Andrew
10-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Banana, pistachio, and cherry.

rentayenta
10-13-2004, 12:26 PM
If the banana were chocolate it would be close to Spumoni which is my favorite. I have never tried Fantasia but it sounds good.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-13-2004, 12:45 PM
oh, that does sound good.

The Mouse Is Back
10-13-2004, 02:12 PM
They still use the "Carnation" brand on their malted milk powders.

I've never tried Fantasia ice cream - what's it taste like?

Edited to add: D'oh!! (Note to self: read before posting.)

It doesn't sound like something I would like. And anyway, I am kind of a Haagen-Dazs snob.

-Allegra-

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Personally I tried it and didnt like it (sorry), but Im a picky eater.

Opus1guy
10-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Love Fantasia ice cream! Hope this is just a rumor.

I was so bummed about 15 years ago when Club 33 discontinued it off their menu!

It was just another one of those "little things" that made Disneyland unique.

TimBuk2
10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Fantasia Ice Cream has been there for years and is THE BEST. Why do they treat us like this ?? :crying:

10-14-2004, 06:40 AM
Can I just say that the line at Gibson Girl after the parade is horrid? Only two people working the registers and every other customer wanting to taste several ice creams before deciding.

No ice cream, not even Fantasia, is worth that wait.

sediment
10-14-2004, 08:30 AM
And it closes early!!!
And the prices are sky-high.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
10-14-2004, 09:50 AM
And when we went in last holiday season after the parade to get Egg Nog ice cream the crowds were very large and one of the CM's behind the counter told everyone to go to the cone shop because they were not busy and they had ALL the SAME flavors that they had at Gibson Girl so we hot footed it over to the cone shop, which by that time was VERY busy and stood in line for 15 minutes and were told "yes, we have everything they have across the street EXCEPT specialty flavors like Egg Nog and Peppermint."

Hmmmm...

tod
10-16-2004, 12:01 PM
They did make it up to us. If anybody's interested, click here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/cp040511sl.htm) for details.

--t
loving husband

villain
12-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Well.....it seems that it is now official. I posted this news back in October hopping that the Cast Member that informed me of the news that Fantasia Ice Cream was being disscontinued was false. I will miss out on this great treat! :(