PDA

View Full Version : How to fix California Adventure: the hard way

fjhuerta
10-13-2004, 09:00 AM
1) Destroy California Adventure and Downtown Disney, create something worthy of Disney (DisneySea? Epcot 2?).

A man can dream, can't he? :D

sediment
10-13-2004, 09:23 AM
If you have a billion dollars, you might be able to buy the place and do as you please with it.

fjhuerta
10-13-2004, 09:33 AM
If you have a billion dollars, you might be able to buy the place and do as you please with it.

It would have been way easier for the people with that kind of money to build the damn thing RIGHT the first time... sadly, it seems the only way to experience a real Disney Park nowadays is to go to Japan.

DLRCM
10-13-2004, 10:09 AM
It would have been way easier for the people with that kind of money to build the damn thing RIGHT the first time... sadly, it seems the only way to experience a real Disney Park nowadays is to go to Japan.

So you're saying that Disneyland isn't a "Real" Disney park? I beg to differ. It's the original.

Forbin
10-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I tink fjherta meant outside of Disneyland.

Disneyfreak
10-13-2004, 03:54 PM

Try 5 billion.

sediment
10-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Well, you'd do a little leveraging,...
You need a billion to buy it. Then, yeah, a few billion to make something good.

ModHatter
10-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Well, people are always going to squabble about what is "worthy." Obviously, that is different for a lot of people. Personally, I find the DCA concept "worthy." It was just done wrong, in my opinion.

I think there are things worth keeping about DCA, even if there is something fundamentally flawed about them (i.e. GRR being a good ride but positioned horribly, and even the park gate itself being too far East for the real estate used). The key is to determine what really should stay, what goes, and BEFORE it goes, what will be put in its place.

DisneylandForever
10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
You got the green light from me, fjhuerta! Just make sure you bulldoze around ToT!

RagtimePrince
10-13-2004, 11:44 PM
DisneySea cost somewhere around $3 billion, unless I did the conversion wrong in my head. Still though, that place doesn't have any more attractions than DCA, it just looks ridiculously fantastic. I have the feeling that if we had TDS here, people would still complain about there being too few attractions.

ModHatter
10-14-2004, 12:07 AM
DisneySea cost somewhere around $3 billion, unless I did the conversion wrong in my head. Still though, that place doesn't have any more attractions than DCA, it just looks ridiculously fantastic. I have the feeling that if we had TDS here, people would still complain about there being too few attractions.

If DCA looked anywhere as good as TDS, that would still cut all the DCA bashing in hald, which ain't bad. To paraphrase a cliche'd t-shirt, rides you can add, but ugly is forever.

When you walk through something like Condor Flats and ask yourself, "Is this supposed to be a -land?" that makes you feel how on the cheap the park was done. You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle, and TDS has a big sizzle that DCA just never had.

sediment
10-14-2004, 08:26 AM
You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle, and TDS has a big sizzle that DCA just never had.
It also has the steak.

ModHatter
10-14-2004, 10:01 AM
It also has the steak.

Well, I haven't been there yet, so I don't want to be one of those jump on the bandwagon folks. But the fact that I, a self-professed hater of any sort of travel, would even be thinking of going to TDS in the coming year, is a testament to what they are doing right.

fjhuerta
10-18-2004, 06:13 PM
I tink fjherta meant outside of Disneyland.

Exactly! Disneyland will forever be Disneyland. :)

sambo
10-19-2004, 11:14 PM
It also has the steak.

...and California Adventure is just a Mc Rib...

ModHatter
10-19-2004, 11:22 PM
...and California Adventure is just a Mc Rib...

If only. McDonald's knows that making the McRib a limited-time only item will drive up comsumer demand. They can get away with making the McRib not as satisfying as its predecessor because you don't get it all the time.

sambo
10-19-2004, 11:25 PM
They can get away with making the McRib not as satisfying as its predecessor because you don't get it all the time.
For us non-locals - that IS the case.

Tigertail777
10-20-2004, 12:28 AM
HEY!!! I like mcribs! Do you know how darn increasingly hard it is to get any kind of good barbecue sandwich at a fastfood place??? Arbys dropped their ArbyQ (at least in these parts), A&W used to make a awesome barbecue beef sandwich, they dropped that, Carl's Jr's is one of the few places left, and even they dont make it like they used to anymore. Burger king used to have a decent barbecue beef burger, its gone.....sighhhhhh Kentucky fried chicken has a decent barbecue chicken, but only if its very fresh if the mix has been sitting around in the pot its yucky.

Oh and umm yeah DCA doesnt have the barbecue beef or the sizzle... umm something like that. LOL