PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite thing to do at DL for the Holidays?

tstan70
10-13-2004, 05:48 AM
I have only spent a few days in Disneyland during the holidays, but I would have to say that I love just taking in the holiday decorations. I love enormous Christmas Tree and the sparkling lights strung across Main Street.

I really like the Believe...In Holiday Magic fireworks

This year I need to do the cookie decorating with my kids.

What do you like to do????

tod
10-13-2004, 06:04 AM
The Lovely Mrs. tod loves the eggnog ice cream on Mian Street. We have to walk down the west side of Main Street to make sure we don't miss it when it comes.

--t

tlovesdis
10-13-2004, 06:22 AM
I love everything about the holidays at Disneyland! One of my most favorites is seeing all of the decorations, the tree, the lights, etc... It actually brings tears to my eyes (I am a wimp!!!). I will be there Dece 4-8 this year and I cannot wait! 52 days to go!!!

Earkid
10-13-2004, 08:50 AM
We go in Dec every year, usually during the first full week. Going Dec. 8-11 this year and doing the gingerbread house workshop in DTD on the 11th.

Our favorite thing to do is ride the train all around the park at night. You get to see the Christmas lights for the entire park. They usually put ALOT of lights at IASW and the train goes right through them all.

Of course you have to have hot chocolate and a churro.

Don't miss NOS, always done up festively.

Have fun!!

Mommy2NicknMax
10-13-2004, 09:03 AM
The fireworks would make the top of my list, that's for sure!

But something else I love is when they turn the lights on when it's getting dark. Especially IASWH, that is something to see. :)

DLRCM
10-13-2004, 10:50 AM
I agree with most people here. The Holiday fireworks are the best! I also love New Orleans Square at Christmas. The hanging lights from the balconies above are so exquisit. I would also recommend to anyone who hasn't done this to ride Splash Mountain and buy the photo of you on the drop. I went last year to discover (I'm not sure if this is new, but I hadn't been for Christmas in 2 years, and last year was the first time I noticed) that the photo's surroundings are Christmas themed! You see the Splash characters in Christmas gear and christmas lights on the mountain. It's so cute!

stan4d_steph
10-13-2004, 10:52 AM
In addition to what's already been said, I like the tiny little wreaths and evergreen boughs they use to decorate the scenes for the Storybookland Canal Boats.

olegc
10-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Watching kids sit on Santa goofy's lap in ToonTown with mouths wide open - or when they see the Christmas Fantasy parade... priceless...

lynnspire
10-13-2004, 11:45 AM
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]I Have never actually used mousepad before, so I hope I'm doing this right.
Personally to name just one thig that I love about Disneyland in the holidays would be selling myself short. I suppose the atmosphere is what I love most!!! The gorgeouse decorations (especially on Main Street) and the blaring Christmas Carols overhead throughout the park is what I love!!

rentayenta
10-13-2004, 11:48 AM
This year we will be there from the 20-26 and it will be a whole new deal for us. We are staying on property which we never do. I am looking forward to the hotel decor as well as the parks. I can't wait to have the kids wake up to their stockings filled with goodies. We are having Christmas morning brekkie at Goofy's Kitchen. I love the huge tree on Main St. as well as all of the little touches. It seems that no area is left bare when it comes to the holidays at DL.
I enjoy the characters that are in holiday attire and I cannot wait for the snow- yes I know it's not real snow ;) We will also be doing the cookie decorating but we'll be too late for the gingerbread house activity.

Have fun and please post a trip report.

disneyperson
10-13-2004, 12:52 PM
We'll be there dec 11-13. We love the HMH and are true suckers for all the lights. We love that it gets dark early and have more of that ol' DL nightime magic to absorb. Don't forget to visit ToonTown. The decorations there are great!

Wavesprite1
10-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Do you have to sign up for the gingerbread house thing? Where? my son would love that and we will be there from December 8th-12th!

bandboy1985
10-13-2004, 05:03 PM
hot spiced cider while watching the fireworks. nothing beats it!

CarlieB
10-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Catching the train at night time is a great idea - I'll make sure to do this:)

I love the decorations and the music - it's very immersive.

ozbeauticn
10-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Watching kids sit on Santa goofy's lap in ToonTown with mouths wide open - or when they see the Christmas Fantasy parade... priceless...

When I was there last New Year's I went to get Santa Goofy's autograph. He went straight for my boyfriend so I just sat down in his chair and waited for him. When he came back up, Santa Goofy sat on MY lap!

Also I agree, the holiday ones are GREAT fireworks. If you haven't seen IASW Holiday and HMHoliday, those are also musts. The song isn't as annoying with christmas songs mixed in.. The holiday tour was fun last year. We got a lot of free goodies and if I didn't spend all my free time reading everything Disney I probably would have learned a lot.

sediment
10-13-2004, 06:17 PM
My answer: stay at home.
Well, maybe go to the Cast Member party.

Earkid
10-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Do you have to sign up for the gingerbread house thing? Where? my son would love that and we will be there from December 8th-12th!

Taken from the Park Update for 10/11:
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen's will be hosting their 2nd annual gingerbread house-building workshops in December. Tickets are $45 per party of two, ($10 for each additional person in your group). Participants will receive building supplies, refreshments, jingle bell, t-shirt, and a photo with Santa.The workshops on December 15 & 16 are reserved for passholders; workshops on December 11, 12, 18 and 19 are open to the general public. All workshops are from 1-3 p.m. Call (714) 776-5200 for reservations.

SallySkellington
10-13-2004, 07:38 PM
I don't have to tell you guys what my favorite holiday thing at DL is. ;)

A close second is the mixing of the DL magical feeling and the Christmas magical feeling. :)

missm
10-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Ooohhh...you guys are making me so excited for my trip in 47 days! It's my first Christmas Disneyland trip.

Maus
10-14-2004, 06:17 AM
For a holiday treat I've taken my staff in December the last couple of years. We do the cookie decorating together--it's a team-building experience. ;) (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

thinktink
10-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Will they let you take hot choc. and cookies on the train? I know food and drink are not allowed on attractions, but it sure would be nice to see the Christmas lights while riding the train, sipping on hot choc!

disneyboy7
10-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Skiing down Main Street on the Disneyland snow followed by an apres ski hot cocoa.
:cool:

tstan70
10-15-2004, 05:58 AM
You know, the snow thing just doesn't do it for me, then again living in a cold climate where I shovel real snow all winter long off of my sidewalks gets me a bit spoiled for the real stuff! :fez:

Two years ago when we were there for the holidays, it rained for 3 days straight and it was a bit chilly and kind of foggy. When it "snowed" on Main street, we could almost imagine that it was real as the weather was similar to when there is a light snowstorm - but I guess that is what it is all about - using your imagination and dreaming, huh?

I think it is cool to see all of the characters in Toontown dressed in winter gear - like they are stuck in the 1950's ski wear... pretty cool stuff

cheshire cat
10-16-2004, 10:57 AM
I love the Holiday fireworks but I also go for the Haunted Mansion Holiday.