PDA

View Full Version : Tortilla Jo's, Storytellers Cafe and Catal Restaurant

cstephens
10-12-2004, 09:39 PM
For anyone who's interested, I've posted some recent restaurant reviews.

Tortilla Jo's dining room (lunch) (http://www.colddeadfish.net/tjs/tortillajos100104.html)

Storytellers Cafe (dinner) (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/storyteller100304.html)

Catal Restaurant (dinner) (http://www.colddeadfish.net/catal/catal100804.html)

Thanks!

SoCalDisneyLover
10-12-2004, 10:25 PM
I had read somewhere previously that Storyteller's offers a Dessert Only Buffet. Is this still the case, and how much is it?

CarlieB
10-13-2004, 02:31 PM
The new menu at Catal sounds lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Autumn/Winter menu at Uva is like, as we always eat there at least once during our time at DL. This time I'm hopeful that we will also manage to eat upstairs at Catal (I'm a sucker for pumpkin ravioli, and theirs sounds amazing:) )

cstephens
10-13-2004, 06:19 PM
I had read somewhere previously that Storyteller's offers a Dessert Only Buffet. Is this still the case, and how much is it?

I've never heard of it, but if they did offer it before, they don't now. There's nothing on the menu about a dessert buffet.

SoCalDisneyLover
10-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Here is the link to the topic from 2003 where this was discussed.

Storytellers Buffet (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=15646&highlight=dessert+buffet+storytellers)

cstephens
10-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Hmmm, how weird that they offered it but did not include it on the menu. No idea whether they're still doing that. Maybe someone else knows.

pisces
10-14-2004, 11:48 AM
In terms of the Storytellers buffet:

When you say something is just OK, what is lacking for you?

Is it because the food was not spiced enough and needs more flavor?

Is it because the food tasted stale and was not at the peak of freshness?

Were the hot foods not as hot as they should have been?

Do you think some of the food didn't move and was sitting around too long?

I'm just trying to understand whether it was a quality issue, or perhaps the presentation? Did some of what you labeled as OK, simply not look appealing?

Were there cleanliness issues?

I'm trying to get an idea, as food is a big consideration for me, price-wise and crowd-wise, since I will be staying during New Years, and need to narrow down my choices.

One last thing: is there any rhyme or reason to when the Storytellers offers their dinner buffet? It seems just like, on some days they offer it, and some days they don't.

If you had to guess, would you say they will definitely be offering the dinner buffet during the week between Christmas and New Years?

10-15-2004, 05:19 AM
pisces, I can add my opinion of Storytellers dinner buffet. I ate it two nights running last weekend. For the DLR, the price is reasonable and quality high.

I agree with cstephens take. The salads, vegetable, and entrées are simple and straightforward. The dessert offerings are the highlight.

My 12 year-old found macaroni and cheese, Mickey-shaped chicken nuggets, and steamed broccoli to be exactly what she craved. My 14 year-old has a more sophisticated palate and chose the nut-crusted salmon. Verdict: very nice. I had the prime rib - something I haven't had in literally years. It was not fatty and, as cstephens indicated, they will give you a piece done as you like it. The first night I was there without my girls and there was also fried chicken. The second night, it was chicken in a hunter sauce with mushrooms. Both girls loved that, also.

The big fun for my girls was the dessert. So many choices, so little room left! They tackled the desserts systematically, each taking a sample of exactly half the offerings, then tasting off the other's plate. A few highlights: raspberry sponge cake, flourless chocolate cake, bread pudding with crème anglaise, all beautifully presented, fresh, and naughty-but-nice.

The first night (a party of maybe 10), service was spotty. The second night (just three), our waiter was a real pro. The restaurant's atmosphere is famous, of course, and conducive to good conversation.

Can you tell that I'd go back again?

cstephens
10-15-2004, 09:16 AM
In terms of the Storytellers buffet:
When you say something is just OK, what is lacking for you?

I guess it would be the taste. The second slice of prime rib was much better than the first, but then, that's probably because I no longer like my meat cooked all the way. Someone who likes their prime rib a bit more done might have been fine with my first slice and hated my second. I don't know that I would have minded the broccoli as much if I wasn't just staring at the asparagus, knowing it was there and available but not available. The salmon was just ok for me because I don't eat a lot of cooked fish, and there are very specific circumstances when I do. I think in that case, having the fish sitting out probably didn't help it, and it would have been better as a separate entree, as my friend had. I was probably most disappointed in the salad selection. And the wealth of desserts really did surprise me. While it might be preferable to some, I guess having more desserts than "regular food" seems odd to me.

I'm trying to get an idea, as food is a big consideration for me, price-wise and crowd-wise, since I will be staying during New Years, and need to narrow down my choices.

It really depends on your individual tastes and what else you're considering. If I was going to be at the resort on New Year's, Storytellers Cafe wouldn't even enter my mind to dine at. It also depends on your budget. Storytellers is not that expensive, compared to some other choices. I know some people absolutely love Storytellers. I don't happen to be one of them, though I like it a bit more now than after my last experience several years ago.

One last thing: is there any rhyme or reason to when the Storytellers offers their dinner buffet? It seems just like, on some days they offer it, and some days they don't.

If you had to guess, would you say they will definitely be offering the dinner buffet during the week between Christmas and New Years?

At one point a while ago, I went in and asked about the buffet, and they couldn't really give me an answer about when it was offered. They said it depended on the crowds they were expecting. I would think they'd have the buffet during the busy holiday season, but perhaps someone who's been at the restaurant during that time could better answer your question.

millionairegirl
10-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks Cstephans! My husband and I are staying at GCH this weekend for my birthday (hooray!), and we're going to eat at Catal. I wanted to go to Napa Rose, but I guess they're having a private party (boo). Anyway, I was disappointed, but now that I know Catal has their Fall menu up my sadness has been abated a little.

And breakfast at Storytellers is fabulous, just fabulous.

pisces
10-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Well, breakfast at Storytellers, of course! That's a no-brainer, and it's hard to mess up eggs, I think.

The thing is, I don't think I'm going to be available for breakfast. I'll be too busy lining up trying to get into the Park, early; plus, I'll want an empty stomach to go on all those early rides.

But, late lunch, or dinner, at the Storytellers buffet sounds convenient for me, as I head back to my hotel room for my nap/siesta in preparation for the big evening ahead.

cstephens: Do you mind if I ask you two more questions?, then I'm done, I promise!

1. Why wouldn't a Storytellers Dinner Buffet enter your mind for New Years?

2. Have you been to Hometown Buffet? Would you say that Storytellers Buffet is higher up, in terms of quality, than Hometown?

For the record: I consider Hometown Buffet to be "ok". I go there. But it is average. I don't dislike it. But, they are usally under $10.00. So, the price makes it worth my while.

For, $29.00, plus tip, I suppose......I really want Storytellers to be higher up, in terms of quality, than Hometown Buffet.

It's getting close to my 60 day reservation deadline, so I need to have this all decided.

Thanks for your help.

millionairegirl
10-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Pices, I can answer based on my opinions:

1) Storytellers is a family restaurant, and would not enter my mind for New Years Eve as well. The food is good quality, but since we don't have kids yet we'd prefer a place with more adult food and atmosphere.

2) I've never been to Hometown Buffet (I've heard it's gross and I prefer quality over quantity), but yes the quality is 100 times better.

And the breakfast buffet is more than just eggs. There's grilled asparagus, lox, vanilla carmel french toast, the best bacon you've ever had! It's just wonderful.

cstephens
10-15-2004, 11:14 AM
1. Why wouldn't a Storytellers Dinner Buffet enter your mind for New Years?

If I was going to be at the resort for New Year's, I'd go to either Catal or Napa Rose. They both have special menus for the evening, so I'd have to choose between the two. There was one year that both had amazing menus, and choosing would have been really hard. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), we weren't there for New Year's. I love both restaurants anyway, so for New Year's, it's definitely a choice between the two.

2. Have you been to Hometown Buffet? Would you say that Storytellers Buffet is higher up, in terms of quality, than Hometown?

Oh, Storytellers is definitely higher, way higher. I used to go to Hometown, but I don't anymore. In my experience, it was good "comfort food", but I haven't been very happy with the quality of the food in my last few experiences, so it's not somewhere I'd go again unless I was dragged or was starving and there was absolutely nothing else around.

10-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Have you been to Hometown Buffet? Would you say that Storytellers Buffet is higher up, in terms of quality, than Hometown?

Several of them, all over the country. While Hometown is clean and the food often bordering on very good, Storytellers is in a different league, kind of the difference between the letter grade B and an A-.

Hometown has more variety; Storytellers has better quality. The atmosphere at Hometown is formica table tops, napkin dispensers, and serve-yourself sodas. The atmosphere at Storytellers is wood, cloth napkins, suave waitstaff.

pisces
10-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Well that cinches it for me! As long as I know I'll be gettin somepin better than Hometown......I have no problem with the $29.00.

Storytellers and Blue Bayou are definitely on my list.

I'm unsure about Napa Rose, only because I don't know if I want to dress up for a meal, or be in the mood for formal table service. It seems to me that I might be able to get the same food at the Napa Rose Lounge or Hearthstone Lounge, which are a bit more casual and informal........that is, if I decide I even want that type of food.

I'm only planning on having one "big" meal, and light snacks during each day of the week. I think BB's "Monte Cristo" would count as my one "big" meal for whatever day I choose to go there.

But, I do have the Napa Rose restaurant in the back of my mind as a kind of grand finale.....as the last meal at the end of my trip when I am ready to leave.....maybe.

cstephens
10-15-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm unsure about Napa Rose, only because I don't know if I want to dress up for a meal, or be in the mood for formal table service. It seems to me that I might be able to get the same food at the Napa Rose Lounge or Hearthstone Lounge, which are a bit more casual and informal........that is, if I decide I even want that type of food.

It's not required that you dress up for Napa Rose, though during the holidays, more people might. I mostly go in "resort wear", and I've never been treated any less than splendidly. The Napa Rose lounge has a slightly different menu, though I understand you can order off the regular menu there as well. At the Hearthstone Lounge, you can order a few different things "inspired by" the menus of various Disney resort restaurants. I think there might have been one or two Napa Rose-type items.

GrumpyUTboi
10-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Wow that is expensive fiood! For my family that would be $84.95 I think that I will drive a few miles away from DL and feed my family for $45 instead. :(

pisces
10-16-2004, 11:14 AM
You mean $29.00 at Storytellers?

Yes, I think it is expensive. But, I've been saving all-year for this trip, and I've not been to the park in 25 years, so I don't feel the least bit guilty.

I'm pretty much justifying it on the grounds that the quality is higher up than Hometown Buffet. And, I usually eat several servings/helpings, as I don't eat anything till late afternoon when I've worked up an appetite, and that pretty much serves as my only meal for the day.

I think I can, pretty much, get my money's worth out of it.

Napa Rose becomes a bit harder to justify......spending that kind of money, if there's less to choose from, and I don't know what I'll feel like eating then, nor can you go back for second helpings.

But, I am absolutely sold on Storytellers, and maybe Goofys too!