PDA

View Full Version : [DL] Offers First-Ever Opportunity to Become Honorary Resident of Haunted Mansion

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
10-12-2004, 04:39 PM
DISNEYLAND OFFERS FIRST-EVER OPPORTUNITY FOR SOME LUCKY SOUL
TO BECOME HONORARY RESIDENT OF FAMOUS ‘HAUNTED MANSION’

DisneyAuctions.com to Offer Winning Bidder a Personalized Tombstone
To Find Eternal Rest Inside Classic “Haunted Mansion” Attraction

ANAHEIM, Calif., October 12, 2004 – Disney fans who have been “dying” to become a genuine part of Disneyland history are being offered a “once-in-an-after-lifetime” opportunity to become an honorary ghostly resident of the park’s classic “Haunted Mansion” attraction. The lucky bidder of an online charity auction on eBay, The World’s Online Marketplace® will receive their own personalized “tombstone” in the finale graveyard scene of the beloved attraction, marking the public’s first-ever chance to be an enduring part of a Disneyland attraction.

The listing will be featured on eBay at www.DisneyAuctions.com and begins at 6:00 p.m. (EST) on Thursday, October 14 and ends Thursday, October 21 at 6:00 p.m. (EST). The winning bidder will be publicly announced on Friday, October 22. The unique gravestone will bear the winner’s first name and a humorous epitaph (inspired by the lucky bidder’s interests and hobbies) written and personalized by the team at Walt Disney Imagineering, the creative organization responsible for designing and developing the attraction.

The honorary ghost will also receive a one-of-a-kind miniature replica of the tombstone and a certificate officially recognizing them as an “Honorary” resident of the “Haunted Mansion.”

As “die-hard” fans of the landmark Disneyland attraction know, the “Haunted Mansion” is home to “999 happy haunts ... but there’s always room for one more!”

Additionally, the successful bidder and a guest will be spirited away from his or her hometown to Disneyland park in time for a midnight "wake" and “burial” ceremony on Thursday, October 28, officially placing the tombstone in the graveyard of the “Haunted Mansion.” The proceeds of the charity auction benefit selected chapters of The Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

Disney Auctions (www.DisneyAuctions.com) is an online marketplace from Walt Disney Internet Group. It features authentic, rare and one-of-a-kind Disney collectibles and memorabilia from every aspect of Disney’s fabled entertainment legacy.

SallySkellington
10-12-2004, 04:51 PM
OMG, that is soooo cool! :eek:

Pirate Girl
10-12-2004, 05:07 PM
:eek: :eek: I want I want I want, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I Heart Disneyland!
10-12-2004, 05:36 PM
MINE! MINE! MINE!!!!!! IT MUST SAY JANINE ON IT!!!!! :eek: WOW---THIS IS TOO COOL!

Kitsune_SD
10-12-2004, 07:37 PM
How many lotto draws are there between now and the end of the auction?

Darkbeer
10-12-2004, 08:04 PM
^ In California, 3.... Wednesday, Saturday, and a week from Wednesday...

Sigh, I have known about this for a week now, and had to keep my mouth shut....

A couple of insights, the starting bid should either be $999, or $1,313, but it won't matter... The only other thing similar to this was when they first had the ABC Primetime Preview Weekend, and auctioned a trip to DCA and a stay at the GCH (FYO, this auction also includes a GCH stay, though not mentioned in the PR) plus a chance to be part of a bit with Drew Carew in the live version of "WHose Line is it Anyways", and that went to about $15,000......

My guess, it will be over doubloe that amount...

If you didn't catch it, the money is going to CHARITY (the Boys and Girls Clubs), and any amount over the "value" of the plane fare, hotel, admission, meals, etc... will be a tax deduction....

rentayenta
10-12-2004, 08:10 PM
I guess my only chance is if a wealthy relative dies and leaves me alot of cash. In that case it would only be right to put their name on the tombstone :eek:

Lani
10-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Sigh, I have known about this for a week now, and had to keep my mouth shut....Just a media embargo. Nothing new for us, either. We posted the moment we were given the official authorization.

fjhuerta
10-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I could sell my car.

Well, my car AND my wife's car...

Hey, if dad looks the other way, maybe I could sell HIS car, too...

sdfilmcritic
10-13-2004, 12:55 AM
As awesome as this would be I'm worried about the final auction price. How much is the winner having to pay for such an item?

tink1234
10-13-2004, 09:09 AM
:eek: So they are going to change the official count to 1000 happy haunts and all full? :eek: :fez:

AVP
10-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Sigh, I have known about this for a week now, and had to keep my mouth shut....Us too - darn these press embargos!

AVP

AliciasMom
10-13-2004, 09:24 AM
So if I win the lottery today I might have a chance....

Lekta
10-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Wait a sec, I'M winning the lottery today! I have my ticket eagerly in hand... on second thought, I'll split it with you and still have the greatest day of all time!

I guess we will then have a bidding war for the gravestone...no? :)

Mark Goldhaber
10-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Sigh, I have known about this for a week now, and had to keep my mouth shut....
Yeah, I know. I've been sitting on it for a month now.

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-13-2004, 06:47 PM
If all of you have been sitting on it, how did you find out in the first place?

RagtimePrince
10-14-2004, 12:46 AM
A little mouse told them. ;)

myron61090
10-14-2004, 01:30 AM
what are the chances of someone named "myron" winning it?

rentayenta
10-14-2004, 06:58 AM
"Here lies Renta Yenta" You have to admit, it's got a nice ring to it :D

haunted_mike
10-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Disney Auctions, the eBay subsite which sells "pieces of Disney Magic", is offering a "once in an afterlife" opportunity to become an honoury resident at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.

The auction which is hoping to raise funds for The Boys and Girls Club of America runs until Thursday, 21st October at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=138&item=2277241669 - as I write this bidding is currently just short of $1,000.

The winning bidder will have their name imortalized on a tombstone to be added to the Haunted Mansion's final grave yard scene, as well as receiving a replica of the tombstone and attending a special mid-night "burial" at Disneyland on Thursday, 28th October where the tombstone will be added to the ride.

This is certainly an off-beat and unusual chairty auction - the chance to be imortalized in Disneyland doesn't come along everyday.

Personally, Disneyland or not, I find the idea of bidding for my own tombstone somewhat macabre.

Your thoughts?

sediment
10-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Heard it.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=33073

sami869
10-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Just letting you know that there was already a post about this: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=33073

SoCalDisneyLover
10-14-2004, 03:43 PM
It's been open for bids less than 1 hour, and has gone from $750 to $4,205.

sami869
10-14-2004, 03:51 PM
It's been going up a couple hundred every few minutes. I can't even imagine how high the end bid will be.

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Wow! its $5,049 right now.