PDA

View Full Version : Is the castle going to be unveiled on November 25th?

Pages : [1] 2

CoasterChickie
10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
That's what one of the CM's kept telling us and she was really excited about it. I don't think I want to go back to DL again until the castle is there because it was really getting to me this time for some reason. I think it was when I saw the latest money-making scheme.....you can have your picture taken and inserted into a newspaper like it's the most wonderful thing that you're making Disneyland history by being there when the castle is under wraps. I just found that to be like adding insult to injury!! :mad:

sediment
10-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Check A.L.'s column. His sources are pretty good.

Disclaimer: While reading through the archives I noticed that a good chunk of a D.I.G. in 2000 was devoted to the closing of Fantasmic!. I'd like to think that the publishing of this update helped stop such an idea. Ever the optimist, that's I.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-12-2004, 01:09 PM
That's what one of the CM's kept telling us and she was really excited about it. I don't think I want to go back to DL again until the castle is there because it was really getting to me this time for some reason. I think it was when I saw the latest money-making scheme.....you can have your picture taken and inserted into a newspaper like it's the most wonderful thing that you're making Disneyland history by being there when the castle is under wraps. I just found that to be like adding insult to injury!! :mad:

BOO HISS on that one! Are you serious? They are taking pictures of people in front of the covered up castle and selling them? That's just strange!!! I won't be going back until everything is back in action.

cstephens
10-12-2004, 01:25 PM
BOO HISS on that one! Are you serious? They are taking pictures of people in front of the covered up castle and selling them? That's just strange!!! I won't be going back until everything is back in action.

There's information about this in this week's DLR update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr041011.htm). A friend told me about it a little while ago, and we went to look at the picture, and I thought it was cute.

Re: the castle unveiling, from the Holiday 2004 AP newsletter: For November 22, the entry says, "See the beginning of Sleeping Beauty Castle's magical transformation today!"

RemainSeatedPlease
10-12-2004, 02:53 PM
mmm, I think it's kinda cool to have the newspaper thing, it is better than nothing, and it's something a little different. They are trying to make money off of it...but at least it's in a fun way.....well that just sounds messed up.

Disneyfreak
10-12-2004, 04:59 PM
I think you guys are overreacting about this. I think it is apart of Disneyland history and I think this is ok to do. I also feel that people have to stop being mad that the castle is covered up. If you dont remember, it was in horrible shape before those went up. So just be patient and let them do an awesome job.

CoasterChickie
10-12-2004, 05:11 PM
I think it would be way cooler and I would actually love it if they'd let us see the work while it's being done. There's a store on Main Strret that has three different books with shots of Disneyland being built in the 1950's. I love looking at old black and whites like that! I think they should let the public see the process in action just like they do on Extreme Makeover. As Peter Sellers would say "I like to watch!!"

Klutch
10-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Every time I see a picture of the castle under tarps I'm amazed at how small is looks. That forced perspective stuff really works!

DLRCM
10-12-2004, 07:00 PM
I think you guys are overreacting about this. I think it is apart of Disneyland history and I think this is ok to do. I also feel that people have to stop being mad that the castle is covered up. If you dont remember, it was in horrible shape before those went up. So just be patient and let them do an awesome job.

I totally agree. Not only with the castle, but with all of the other attractions that are down right now. I've heard so many people commenting on everything over the past few weeks. Lots of complaining guests who don't seem to understand that stuff like this doesn't happen overnight! A 50th aniversary is large for anyone, let alone the "Happiest Place on Earth." It takes time. I understand that people come on vacation and expect DL to be perfect for them, but that's why there's websites like this, or calling in, etc. And there are so many attractions to refurbish. Imagine if DL did them all at once! Wow, wouldn't that be interesting! Everyone should just be happy that the park is up and running smoothly, castle or not.

fjhuerta
10-12-2004, 09:01 PM
I totally agree. Not only with the castle, but with all of the other attractions that are down right now. I've heard so many people commenting on everything over the past few weeks. Lots of complaining guests who don't seem to understand that stuff like this doesn't happen overnight! A 50th aniversary is large for anyone, let alone the "Happiest Place on Earth." It takes time. I understand that people come on vacation and expect DL to be perfect for them, but that's why there's websites like this, or calling in, etc. And there are so many attractions to refurbish. Imagine if DL did them all at once! Wow, wouldn't that be interesting! Everyone should just be happy that the park is up and running smoothly, castle or not.
OTOH, people paid the full park admission to see a park that's partially under renovation. No Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Castle, Subs, Buzz Lightyear, etc.

I'm all for renovations, but I had a chance to go to DL a couple of months ago, and I avoided it. What's the use of spending so much money now? I'd rather wait a year.

I hope not many people think like me, though.

Melaniee
10-12-2004, 09:47 PM
too bad they are not taking a few bucks off of the tickets.

tink1234
10-13-2004, 08:25 AM
I think the photos are great. It is a great alternative to no photo in front of the castle. It's kind of a neat way to make the best of a situation.

About people being upset. I see both sides of the coin. Refurbs are needed. I can see people getting upset, by not knowing that many things are blocked or down when arriving. I think most people are probably more upset that things were allowed to get to this point of disrepair...not that they are being repaired. The amount of things needing repairing shows that precautions that could have been taken along the way probably weren't.

If more happened at night and magically appeared fixed in the morning, then on occasion a ride was down for a period of time; I believe many would welcome the refurb. All we can do is hope that after this extensive time of fixing that upkeep will happen so this isn't necessary all at once again.

fjhuerta
10-13-2004, 08:48 AM
I think the photos are great. It is a great alternative to no photo in front of the castle. It's kind of a neat way to make the best of a situation.

About people being upset. I see both sides of the coin. Refurbs are needed. I can see people getting upset, by not knowing that many things are blocked or down when arriving. I think most people are probably more upset that things were allowed to get to this point of disrepair...not that they are being repaired. The amount of things needing repairing shows that precautions that could have been taken along the way probably weren't.

If more happened at night and magically appeared fixed in the morning, then on occasion a ride was down for a period of time; I believe many would welcome the refurb. All we can do is hope that after this extensive time of fixing that upkeep will happen so this isn't necessary all at once again.

I agree with you. I'm not mad at all at the current DL administration. They are just doing what needed to be done long ago. It's a sad thing that DL was allowed to decay the way it did, though... and now, the price to be paid is that people are visiting Tarpland instead of DL. :(

AVP
10-13-2004, 01:20 PM
The scaffolding and tarps were removed from the top 1/3 of the tallest spire today. You can see a crown (no jewels) and the gorgeous new blue tile roof.

AVP

sediment
10-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Calling Darkbeer, calling Darkbeer....

HorizonsA
10-13-2004, 02:28 PM
I think the tarps are coming off in November, but just for the Holidays, the Castle usually gets really decorated for Christmas, plus the Castle is one of the main places where everypne goes for the countdown for New Years, Disneyland gets televised on New Years every year and it wouldn't be attarctive to see a tarped Castle with a countdown clock on it.

But I think, I could be wrong, that work will continue on the Castle sometime after the first of the year.

ozbeauticn
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
So the castle will be painted for the 50th but decorated for christmas?

How much do you think will be already showing before the 25th. We decided we wanted to leve on the 24th before it gets too crowded, will we see much? My mom's way excited since she's never been during the holidays at all.

CarlieB
10-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I'll hazard a guess that by early/mid-December the castle will be out from under wraps for the Holiday period. After New Years they'll put the tarps back on to finish up for May. Just a guess though:)

mousetrap adam
10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
The scaffolding and tarps were removed from the top 1/3 of the tallest spire today. You can see a crown (no jewels) and the gorgeous new blue tile roof.
Confirmed, and I doubt any photo will do justice to how AMAZING it looks. You gotta see it in person to believe it.

-Mo

AVP
10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, the one day I decide... nah, I don't need a camera!

My guess is that the crowns are all in place now, but the "jewels" and stuff will be added in the spring.

AVP

CarlieB
10-13-2004, 03:05 PM
I hope someone posts some photos soon - it sounds great!

TP2000
10-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Confirmed, and I doubt any photo will do justice to how AMAZING it looks. You gotta see it in person to believe it.

-Mo

Pics? Pics?!?! ;-)

A.L. said this a few days ago, and it seems to be coming true reading today's posts here.

>>"The Castle will also begin to shed some of the scaffolding and tarps from its upper levels within the next week. By the first of November the bulk of the Castle will be uncovered, while the tarps continue to wrap around the western and eastern flanks of the Castle for a few more weeks. Before Veterans Day you'll be able to once again walk over the drawbridge and through the Castle to Fantasyland, just as Walt intended."<<

We should have our old Castle back within a few weeks!

NorCalDisney
10-13-2004, 07:34 PM
I'll hazard a guess that by early/mid-December the castle will be out from under wraps for the Holiday period. After New Years they'll put the tarps back on to finish up for May. Just a guess though:)

According to Disney's own page and any number of sites like MP, the castle will be unveiled on 11/24 for the holiday period.

SoCalDude
10-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Richard - aka - rlmsoft posted these pictures in this topic:
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=32064&page=2

pictures here:
http://www.dldhistory.com/gallery.asp?Tab=Disneyland&Page=119&Current=278

I sure hope it looks better in person ;)

Disney Vault
10-13-2004, 08:11 PM
I cant wait to see more of it! It is nice to have a little peak at what has been going on under the tarps.