PDA

View Full Version : New Frontierland

jrad32
10-12-2004, 10:55 AM
If you guys haven't read Al's column today at Miceage you should. Everything he is talking about appears to be in the early, not approved, planning stages, but thinking of these things coming true can't help but make me smile.

The New Frontier land addition, I'm assuming this would be in the Big Thunder Ranch/Festival Arena area, is what I would be most happy to see happen. Three new rides in that area including an E ticket would be awesome.

Al also talks about plans for a Monsters Inc dark ride in the building that use to house Superstar Limo in DCA, as well as a new e ticket in the millionaire, hollywood and dine area.

If this all comes to pass with the return of the subs and space mountain, as well as the new buzz ride I'll be a happy, happy camper. Sure we'll still need a peoplemover and new monorails, but the ideas in Al's column certainly would be nice to see happen.

merlinjones
10-12-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm really excited by the prospect of Frontierland expansion - - What do you think it will be? Any of the old ideas:

Discovery Bay?

Geyser Mountain?

Western River Expedition?

Or something else...

I'd love to see a Mexican/Zorro-themed area:

- - a Zorro's Black Whip coaster (maybe standing/hanging coaster simulating Zorro's ride from the DeLaVega Hacienda/ZorroCave to the Pueblo, dodging the regiments)

- - or a trippy Three Caballeros dark ride combining AA's, cartoons, and live-action projection

Any good ideas out there? :)

merlinjones
10-12-2004, 12:06 PM
(...of course they still need to finish Tomorrowland first. Even with SM/Subs/Buzz, the PeopleMover and Rocket Jets problem must be solved - and new exhibits for 3-D Theatre and Innoventions (just bring back Carousel from WDW and be done with it!).

merlinjones
10-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Should the Country Be :confused: ars return to the New Frontierland?

sediment
10-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Country Bears: sure, why not? How about three different shows? They have a few years to work it all out. Make that the C-ticket attraction.

It all sounds good because that's what CM Matt is there for.

jrad32
10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah I wouldn't mind a Country Bears show there with an E ticket and a dark ride.

I've always liked the Zorro coaster ride idea Merlin, but it has to be a fully themed coaster a la one of the mountains. No halfway themeing like what we see on Screamin.

You know Al also mentions that new tech they were trying out on Peter Pan with the hanging seats that face the floor. Maybe they could incorporate that tech into the third ride for the area. Maybe a Tall Tales Dark Ride. Seems like it would fit right in with Frontierland.

olegc
10-12-2004, 01:17 PM
(...of course they still need to finish Tomorrowland first. Even with SM/Subs/Buzz, the PeopleMover and Rocket Jets problem must be solved - and new exhibits for 3-D Theatre and Innoventions (just bring back Carousel from WDW and be done with it!).

umm - maybe not. Once Buz, Subs, and SM are in place (most by 11/2005, subs by 2007) there may not be a strong desire to do anything else right then and there. That's enough "newness" to keep people in Tomorrowland for a while. Besides, while they are finishing some of these they already must be planning and drawing engineering ideas for new Frontierland. It's the one land in Disneyland that has had NO changes for what, 25 years? (how old is big thunder?). yes, there have been some cosmetic things, and the tom-sawyer island revamp was nice, and of course Rancho del Zocolo... but no new rides... nothing..

Yeah, people can argue that Tomorrowland suffered and really had "no new rides" once you took away rocket rods, etc., but if you were in Matt's shoes would you really want to keep spending money and time on something someone else screwed up? Or would you rather make it basically solid and then do something new and exciting. I'm human - I'd pick the latter....

Disneyphile
10-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I'd like to see a huge "rootin' tootin'" style dinner show for the ranch area, or a romantic "campfire retreat" where cowboys tell stories, sing, etc.

As for rides, I'd love to see "runaway mine cars" - almost like the scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

:D

CarlieB
10-12-2004, 02:28 PM
The rumour (on Miceage) that Rancho del Zocalo is going to stop serving the BBQ side of their menu makes me wonder if the Big Thunder BBQ is set to return in the future?

Tref
10-12-2004, 03:15 PM
I'd like to see the area used for storage.

Disney Vault
10-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I cant wait

ModHatter
10-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Zorro would be great, but I guess I'm rooting for it to go to a Early California section of DCA (as is my hope for Discovery Bay, I'll get to that in a different thread).

Here are a couple things I cooked up elsewhere:

A dark ride like WRE, but instead of boats, you board Horses in a "posse." Now, the neat trick would be if, like the cars on Universe of Energy, after you load side by side, the "horses" leave the station single-file. You trot through a Wild West town. (Maybe now that Hungle Cruise has its guns back, you could even have a Buzz-style gun where it's like a ride-through shooting gallery.) Then, as you leave the town, your horse gets spooked by a rattler, and you "jump" over streams and "duck" under branches.

Along the same lines, maybe an Oregon Trail ride, using Indy-style cars made up to look like wagons.

And for goodness' sake, can we make the canoes be Pocahontas canoes, playing, "Just around the river bend?"

merlinjones
10-13-2004, 07:44 AM
How about returning the Indian Village and dance circle?

A dark ride through Native American mythology could be cool if peyote inspired! Coyote tries to trick you as you go...