PDA

View Full Version : Cast Members: Is Disneyland Less Magical Because You Work There?

Pages : [1] 2

Gemini Cricket
11-25-2001, 11:31 PM
Is the magic gone @ DL because this is where you punch in and out? Or is it more magical because you know all about the park and make the magic?

I have always been scared to work there because I feel like I'd resent going there after a while.

I'd love to hear CM's opinions on this.

I'd also love to hear non CM opinions about whether they'd like to work there at all...

:confused:

tabacco
11-26-2001, 12:31 AM
Heck no! when I'm working, I still go to the parks on my days off sometimes. I still consider it every much as magical as before I started work there. I tend to seperate out the "onstage world" and the "backstage world." When I'm backstage, I'm at work and that's fine. But as soon as I wander back onstage, the backstage world disappears and there's nothing but the show. Sounds corny, but it's true. I don't think about what's behind the scenes when I'm onstage, and the magic hasn't gone away yet.

Napsto
11-26-2001, 01:18 PM
much props, i was very impressed by the cast members yesterday at disneyland, very friendly, made my day pleasant

marron-cream
11-26-2001, 02:16 PM
No way. Disneyland is special, no matter what is behind the facades. I like visiting the park as a guest.

Besides, with the meager pittance they pay us, you have to really love the place to work there :D

tabacco
11-26-2001, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by marron-cream
Besides, with the meager pittance they pay us, you have to really love the place to work there :D

Heh... exactly!

oohykitten
11-26-2001, 03:25 PM
Might sound silly, but I went to DCA and saw Mickey in "Goofy's show" and was very disheartened. I saw Mickeys helpers face. I walked behind Mickey when he went to hug this little boy and it trully took the wind out of my sails. I heard it from other CM's that the first time you see Mickey with no-head is pretty sad. Anyone agree?

Gemini Cricket
11-26-2001, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
much props, i was very impressed by the cast members yesterday at disneyland, very friendly, made my day pleasant

This is true for most of my trips to Disneyland. Often times, the CMs make my trip extra special. It think the CMs work their butts off and deserve to get paid more. Ha! That'll never happen but hey, we can wish.
:)

Hades
11-26-2001, 04:41 PM
*Scratches his head and ponders oohykitten's question*

Not quite sure what you mean there. Hmmmm.

For me, it's not a big deal to see charaters 'out of character' off stage. I see it all the time. I even have lunch when Jasmine, The Mad Hatter, Goofy, Alice, and others have lunch. For me, backstage and on stage are two different worlds. Think the train station scene in "Harry Potter". Backstage is like platform 9 3/4! :D

The "Zoo Crew" (as they call themselves) are the heart and soul of the characters they portray. Even when CM's have their kids with them when they go to the DRC (Disney Resort Center) at the DLH (you should know this one! hehehe), If Jasmine, Aladdin, Alice, or The Mad Hatter see the child, they immediatly 'turn on' thier character so as not to distroy the illusion for the child that sees them there.

As far as my answer for the thread, after 16 years, some of it does get old. However, I can't say that the 'magic' is gone. I just find myself enjoying everyone else's moments of magic. I also can enjoy the details of the park. Most folks are on a limited stay at the park and try to rush everything in in order to make the most of thier travel dollar. Since CM's have sign in priveledges, we can enjoy things slowly and better appriciate the details of the park. APH's better understand what I mean by this. ;)

Gemini Cricket
11-26-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by oohykitten
I heard it from other CM's that the first time you see Mickey with no-head is pretty sad. Anyone agree?

In the 1993, my friend went backstage and accidentally saw Belle (from the stage show) in her birthday suit. He wasn't sad, I'll tell you that.

tabacco
11-26-2001, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad
In the 1993, my friend went backstage and accidentally saw Belle (from the stage show) in her birthday suit. He wasn't sad, I'll tell you that.

That seems like a tough thing to stumble on by accident :)

Briarose710
11-26-2001, 08:09 PM
Well i have to say that i love to visit DL and DCA as a guest! i work hard at work adn hten ant to go and play hard i get my picture taken with the characters when I'm visiting and all..so no the magic is still there..if you let it...as for seeing characers "Out of characte" its umm off sometimes but then again i do have friends who are part of he "Zoo crew"

oohykitten
11-27-2001, 08:37 AM
I have never heard of that untill today. Someone want to tell me more. Also when they are "backstage" do you ever really see say Pluto with no head?

tabacco
11-27-2001, 11:25 AM
I saw Buzz Lightyear with no pants :)

Well... no spacesuit pants, anyway.

Mouse
11-27-2001, 02:32 PM
Disneyland is a show thus the terms "Cast members", "Backstage" and "On Stage." Like any show when off stage Characters do not stay in costume or character. The first time I saw a character partially dressed it was a little sad/disheartening but now that it is a daily experience I am embarrassed by my first reaction.

And no it did not ruin the magic for me. I still love the Disney Characters as when I was a kid, possibly even more after getting a chance to know so many.

Gemini Cricket
11-27-2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by tabacco

That seems like a tough thing to stumble on by accident :)

She walked out of a dressing room thinking she was in the area alone. She was startled but unscathed. He was there on a backstage tour with a CM in charge of Fantasmic lighting.

Vansau
11-27-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

She walked out of a dressing room thinking she was in the area alone. She was startled but unscathed. He was there on a backstage tour with a CM in charge of Fantasmic lighting.

Uh...huh... and why would she walk out of the dressing room naked? That's more than just a tad disturbing. Granted, I'dve killed someone to be in your friend's position, considering how much all the guys from the canoes flirt with the princesses.

oohykitten
11-28-2001, 08:24 AM
Vansau: anyone ever tell you that you look like Justin Timberlake?

Mouse
11-28-2001, 08:26 AM

haha! Would you look at that! I knew there was a reason I enjoyed the canoe ride so much!;)

tabacco
11-28-2001, 12:04 PM

Oh please don't tell him that! ;)

Vansau
11-28-2001, 01:22 PM
I've never heard Justin Timberlake. My nickname with a bunch of my coworkers at Renaissance Faire and my sister's friends is Lance From N'Sync though.

MickeyD
11-28-2001, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Vansau
I've never heard Justin Timberlake. My nickname with a bunch of my coworkers at Renaissance Faire and my sister's friends is Lance From N'Sync though.

Oh geez, that makes two then. Napsto is also known as Lance from nsync.

oohykitten
11-28-2001, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD

Oh geez, that makes two then. Napsto is also known as Lance from nsync.

But at least Justin has Britney
;)

Vansau
11-28-2001, 01:36 PM

But at least Justin has Britney
;)

Point taken, my girlfriend's purdy.

yeo_foxe
11-28-2001, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Vansau
. My nickname with a bunch of my coworkers at Renaissance Faire and my sister's friends is Lance From N'Sync though.

Cool! Another faire worker?

Are you in a booth or guild?

Vansau
11-28-2001, 02:46 PM
I'm one of the hawkers for Fellowship Foundry. The Pewter Smith that's all over the place.