PDA

View Full Version : New Star Tours Rules

Merm8fan
10-10-2004, 10:06 PM
It seems as though the Intergalactic Council has tightened the rules for passengers on Star Tours. We were just at the park last Friday, and our flight attendant instructed our cabin to place fanny packs in the under-seat compartments. This is the first time I have ever heard that. We questioned the CM, and he said that, yes, it is a new rule, and the CM's didn't like it either but they had to enforce it.

I certainly understand about securing loose items, as the ride does tend to get bumpy, but I can't imagine why a fanny pack that is strapped onto your body would be considered "loose." (I consider it an oversized belt, myself... ;) ) I usually wear it as-is on every ride, including CA Screamin', ToT, BTMRR, etc.

It just seems like an odd restriction when much more turbulent rides have no such rule. Any insights?

DCACM
10-10-2004, 10:25 PM
our flight attendant instructed our cabin to place fanny packs in the under-seat compartments.
I certainly understand about securing loose items, as the ride does tend to get bumpy, but I can't imagine why a fanny pack that is strapped onto your body would be considered "loose."
It just seems like an odd restriction when much more turbulent rides have no such rule. Any insights?

Safety. OG states no items may block the safety belt from fitting the rider securely. Some people put the seatbelts over fanny packs, purses, backpacks, etc. Also, a fannypack worn in the back would prevent a rider from sitting "well back" in their seats and could cause possible back injuries. Its easier and more efficient to simply ask riders to remove fannypacks than to explain to them that the packs must be turned to the front and belts fastend underneath them.

MrVor
10-11-2004, 12:32 AM
All forms of hats, including tierras (sp?) and beanies are required to be removed as well now.

TempoNZ
10-11-2004, 02:46 AM
That's a good explanation DCACM and hard one to argue against really. When I read Merm8fan origonal post I too thought it was a bit of a silly rule but after reading through your post I can see the logic in it (More so than a lot of other rules for rules sake). I must admit I am not much of a Bum Bag (Fanny Pack in NZ speak) wearer myself put you are right it could stop you either sitting in you seat correctly or having trhe belt secured correctly so I guess it makes sense.

averagedork
10-11-2004, 05:53 AM
I think I was there on that ride with you Merm8. Were you in the back row?

As for the new rule, it could make sense. Sadly everytime I go on Star Tours I fall asleep (2 times in the last month), so as long as there isn't a rule that says you can't sleep on it I'll be fine.

experiment626
10-11-2004, 06:58 AM
How could one "Fall Asleep" on Star Tours?

With the title I thought that there was something new on Star Tours that "ruled."

HockeyStud
10-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Yeah, my friend and I rode Star Tours yesterday and he was asked to remove his Beenie cap. I thought the rule was a little odd myself and wondered if -- for some unknown reason -- the new rule coincides with the recent refurb of ST, or if it is just a coincidence. Even the lady riding next to us was asked to stow her sweater, which was tied in a knot around her waist. None of this bothered me as much as it all took me by surprise. Especially considering the level of turbulence on some other rides which have no such rules.

Merm8fan
10-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Safety. OG states no items may block the safety belt from fitting the rider securely. Some people put the seatbelts over fanny packs, purses, backpacks, etc. Also, a fannypack worn in the back would prevent a rider from sitting "well back" in their seats and could cause possible back injuries. Its easier and more efficient to simply ask riders to remove fannypacks than to explain to them that the packs must be turned to the front and belts fastend underneath them.

Yep, that sure sounds like something out of an OG. However, the CM stated this was a "new" rule and that they (CM's) had to enforce it. If it was an issue with belts being worn correctly, wouldn't that have been the rule long before now, as belts have been the method of restraint on that ride since it's debut?

Also, why wouldn't the same rules apply on all belted rides? I have never been asked to remove my fanny pack (worn in the front, so I can sit fully back, and it never poses a problem in placing a seat belt on) on GRR or Soarin' or even the Maliboomer... just to name a few.

I'm no rebel, and certainly would never refuse to follow any safety precautions Disney has in place, but the logic of having this restriction on Star Tours and not on more volatile rides escapes me.

Sincerely,
A Fanny-Pack Wearing Disney Fan

Merm8fan
10-11-2004, 11:18 AM
I think I was there on that ride with you Merm8. Were you in the back row?

As for the new rule, it could make sense. Sadly everytime I go on Star Tours I fall asleep (2 times in the last month), so as long as there isn't a rule that says you can't sleep on it I'll be fine.

Sorry, we were in the second row. There were a good half-dozen or more people in our cabin that had to remove their pack after the CM did his "cabin check" and told us about the new rule.

And, I don't know about sleeping on Star Tours, but I get really laid back and relaxed on Space Mountain, strangely enough...

calguy77
10-11-2004, 11:51 AM
One should stay away from fanny packs in general. They are so tacky. HEHEHEHEHEHE

Merm8fan
10-11-2004, 04:21 PM
One should stay away from fanny packs in general. They are so tacky. HEHEHEHEHEHE

No kidding! I must keep using mine, though, as I love being hands-free and it magically keeps all of my stuff dry even after the most heinous drenching on GRR. :(

MrVor
10-11-2004, 11:42 PM
The new rules are due to DOSH's most recent interpretation of our OG's, so while it would seem that they should have been there all along, they in fact, are just being taken more litterally,almost to the point of frustration.

The OG states that all personal belongings must be stored under the seat. Previously, this was interpreted to mean larger, more akward things like backpacks, bags and other carried items. Due to a series of recent DOSH crackdowns, the statement is now being enforced litterally, and ALL PERSONAL BELONGINGS, whether they are secured to your person or not (this includes pin lanyards), are required to be stored under the seat at all times.

DLRCM
10-11-2004, 11:55 PM

LOl. That's hilarious, but so true! Those are so 10 years ago! Did you ever see the movie "The In-Laws" with Michael Douglas? They made fun of them the entire movie!!!

sediment
10-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Yeahhhh!! Star Tours Rules!!! Whoooooooo!!

What?

ToursbabeC3po
10-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Okay we all know I work there. Yes, there are some new rules that are not really new but rules that are being enforced as of last week. IF we do not enforce them we as cast members will be held accountable. Some of these things seem very silly I know and some of them may not stay as they are in a few weeks as I understand it. I cannot give you the reason why they are making us do this except that it is "required for us to follow all safety guidelines" Do we like doing it? Nope. Do we have to do it? Yep. So PLEASE! Don't give us a hard time we are not happy about it ether. Let me tell you, this new policy is so much fun when a tour group of 40 from China comes on your star speeder :confused:
Toursbabe!

Disney Vault
10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
I love your signiture. ^

MMStyle
10-13-2004, 09:10 PM
We rode Star Tours this last Saturday and the cast member explained the new rules and then proceeded to apologize profusely for them. I felt bad for him, I imagine people had been giving him a hard time about this all day. Try as I might my back pack would not fit under the seat and somewhere in this process I lost my sunglasses. So sad, I returned home Monday without them. I guess this begs the question- Do I really need to tote so much stuff around the park all day? I'm looking for a smaller bag.

Tref
10-13-2004, 10:24 PM
We rode Star Tours this last Saturday and the cast member explained the new rules and then proceeded to apologize profusely for them.

I too must confess of being stymied by the new rules on Star Tours. The Cast Members twice had to ask me to remove the toothbrush from my mouth, and then they insisted that I throw my spit cup in the trash! What's going on? Must a man forgo his stringent dental disciplines if he wants to ride Star Tours? I say he should not!

I believe the Cast Members were negligent of their duties and decorums of their station! And you may misquote on my on that.

I remain,
dentally,

ExPeRiMeNt629
10-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Their Guidelines that DOHS does take literaly, And it is a pain when you have guest that take no regards for safty proceedures. Either it is walking on the right hand side, letting a CM assist you as you board or disembark a boat attarction, jumping over railings and fences when the cms ask you not to right next to you and you still proceed to do it and then wonder why the Cm stopped you in line infront of everyone to tell you why it is not only wrong to cut in line but dangerous because you might step on a child that you don't see or fall down yourself. And then you have guest get mad or upset cause something happened to themselfs or others in their group because they didn't follow some simple little procedures. Anyways OG's are the law in Disney, and if Guest nor a CM can't follow the OG's then they have no reason to be their what so ever.

BJW
10-13-2004, 11:54 PM
I believe DOSH must be making the parks really crack down on this. Revenge of the Mummy at USH takes this to the extreme by making you put your fanny pack in a locker. They make you walk out of the attraction, put it in a locker, an reenter through a special entrance an rejoin the row selection at the station. Knotts also will not allow any loose articles or bags on coasters, it all must be stored in cubbys.

ToursbabeC3po
10-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I believe the Cast Members were negligent of their duties and decorums of their station! And you may misquote on my on that.
I don't neglect my duties at all and Tours has an outstanding safety record. I am sorry you feel this way. Have you ever heard of anyone getting injured on our attraction in the 17 years it has been operating? We have a good crew that cares about the attraction and this post is uncalled for. Next time you go on the attraction and you have to put your map under the seat because it is considered a safety hazard maybe you will understand why this is a bit extreme. The point is that we have to follow these rules and people don't like it and your following the rules will make thing much easier. Have a wonder Disney day!
Toursbabe

ToursbabeC3po
10-14-2004, 08:58 AM
I love your signiture. ^

Why thankyou! :)

Tref
10-14-2004, 09:14 AM
I don't neglect my duties at all and Tours has an outstanding safety record. I am sorry you feel this way ...
... Next time you go on the attraction and you have to put your map under the seat because it is considered a safety hazard maybe you will understand why this is a bit extreme ...
... Have a wonder Disney day! Toursbabe

Such nerve! I demand a retraction! Indeed, I wrapped my toothbrush in said map and left them both under my chair! I demand that they be returned forthwith!

I remain,

sediment
10-14-2004, 09:46 AM
I don't neglect my duties at all and Tours has an outstanding safety record. I am sorry you feel this way. Have you ever heard of anyone getting injured on our attraction in the 17 years it has been operating? We have a good crew that cares about the attraction and this post is uncalled for. Next time you go on the attraction and you have to put your map under the seat because it is considered a safety hazard maybe you will understand why this is a bit extreme. The point is that we have to follow these rules and people don't like it and your following the rules will make thing much easier. Have a wonder Disney day!
Toursbabe
And the toothbrush and spit cup?