PDA

View Full Version : OCTA Bus?

Wendi
10-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Anyone get around on the Orange County Transit buses? I am trying to figure out a way to get to Knott's Berry farm for part of Halloween day. The only shuttles are full day, and I want to be at DLR in the late afternoon/evening. I've just found some bus routes and it looks like it won't be much of an ordeal to take the bus from Hojo's to Knott's and then back to Disneyland... have you done this? It's simply two bus lines, so I'm sure it won't be a big deal, but it's hard to tell from the maps just how far it really is and I know it will probably take a while due to all the stops. It's me and my 3 year old, so it will just cost $2.50 for a day pass (he's free). I'll be taking a travel stroller (folds down small). Am I nuts? Should I do it or just skip Knott's?

ModHatter
10-10-2004, 11:46 PM
As someone who is stuck with OCTA until our Monorails get built (if you're reading this, OCTA, skip Centerline and build a Monorail, which will be totally separate from pedestrian and auto thoroughfares), it depends which routes you're planning to take. The Harbor route can get crowded depending on what time of day, but most buses are the double-longs. They come pretty frequently and usually have plenty of seats from where you would be getting on.

Is your bus from Knott's to Harbor the 30 on Orangethorpe? I think that's the one just north of the park. If so, that one's not too bad.

The buses are actually pretty decent for going those kinds of distances. And actually, I made that trip a time or two from my old job, and on the corner they drop you off at when you get to Harbor, there's the Disney Warehouse, where you can get a good deal on a Disneyland version Haunted Mansion for Halloween.

Wendi
10-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info... there are a few routes that would work, but I'm thinking the best plan of action would be the 46 & 29 routes. I think it'll all work out well, so I'm just gonna go for it. I'm just hoping it doesn't take a huge amount of time for us.

sediment
10-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a lot of time, though I don't know about the buses.
It's the not knowing that would concern me.
Taxi. That's my suggestion.

ModHatter
10-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info... there are a few routes that would work, but I'm thinking the best plan of action would be the 46 & 29 routes. I think it'll all work out well, so I'm just gonna go for it. I'm just hoping it doesn't take a huge amount of time for us.

Well, a note on the 46... That's my main bus to go to the big DL, and it's a pretty good bus. If you're going around the 2-3pm timeframe, and school is in session, it can get crowded for about three stops, but that will clear before your stop. Otherwise, it doesn't tend to fill up, so it runs at a good clip.

The main issue with this route is access to the front gate. Your best bets are Harbor or what I believe is called Disney Way. Either way, you'll have to walk the equivalent of a city block or so. I usually go Disney Way. You can't get to the garage and its trams. and the walk is at a grade for a little while, but then again, you get a heck of a backstage view if you're a nerd about that like I am.

In any case, have a great trip!