PDA

View Full Version : Skull Rock

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Does anyone remember well the skull rock/pirate ship dining area. I've seen mention of it on previous threads, but for the life of me couldn't picture it. Last night I was going through old pictures and there was a shot of me in a pucci print dress, black mary janes and white socks, circa 1969 with Skull rock in the background. I really don't remember it at all. What sort of food did the serve and was it there until fantasyland was redone in the early 80's?

merlinjones
10-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook's Pirate Ship (1955) and Skull Rock (1960) were located where Dumbo is now (Dumbo was originally roughly where the Village Inn patio is now). The gorgeous ship, which allowed full access to the deck, had a Chicken of the Sea sponsored walk-up in its hull. There you could get tuna salads and sandwiches. It was a cool place to hang out on deck to watch fireworks or to get chased by Captain Hook and Mr Smee.

Tony Baxter, who headed up the New Fantasyland of 1982, intended to relocate the ship to the small world way area, but when the cranes tried to pick up the ship, they dropped it and the termite weakened frame busted into a million pieces. A major disaster! Tony has said if he had known the outcome, he wouldn't have tried to relocate it. - - A double disaster as Disney never coughed up the cash to rebuild it as they should have.

I really miss it.

Opus1guy
10-09-2004, 10:04 PM
But Tony did get to build a replica at Disneyland Paris. So if you miss it, head over there.

http://www.disneylandparis.com/uk/disneyland_park/adventureland/adventure_isle.htm

You won't be able to enjoy a tuna fish sandwich onboard however.

Tony had an interesting story about building Skull Rock in Paris, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was! Old age. Hate it. :(

GrumpyUTboi
10-10-2004, 07:30 AM
Opus,

You know what the second thing you lose when you get old is? It is your memory and I can't seem to recall what the number one thing is? It drives me crazy trying to think of what it is! :mad:

merlinjones
10-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Tony also wanted build another full-sized replica at the Disneyland Hotel when they did the Peter Pan pool area, but Pressler and his accountaneers scuttled the plan, settling for the half-assed Skull Rock and the mini Pirate Ship taken from a parade float. :(

Animalia
10-10-2004, 07:52 AM
I can only barely remember Skull Rock and walking around it. I think it was possible to walk behind the waterfall exiting near Monstro the whale.
You inspired me to try and find it on the web but could only find one website with photos and those are from postcards.

http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/Fantasyland2.html

www.disneylandpostcards.com/flskullrock.jpg
www.disneylandpostcards.com/flpirate2.jpg
www.disneylandpostcards.com/flpirate2a.jpg

Susan L
10-10-2004, 08:14 AM
I loved Skull Rock and I miss it very much.

rentayenta
10-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the links Animalia. I had almost forgotten about Skull Rock.

sleepyjeff
10-10-2004, 09:06 AM
I liked Skull Rock at nighttime the best.

Skull Rock...Yesterdayland (http://www.yesterland.com/skullrock.html)

Opus1guy
10-10-2004, 12:23 PM
You know what the second thing you lose when you get old is? It is your memory and I can't seem to recall what the number one thing is?

Ha! :)

I'm giving you notice right now that I'm going to steal that line!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Thank you all so much. I really just don't remember it and we went to Disneyland at least once a year when I was a child, and several times a year as teenagers.

I remember the Fantasyland theatre and Dumbo without water, but Skull Rock...... It's shame they weren't able to preserve it, it looks like it was really cool.

I also found a picture of my brother and I cruising around the motor boat lagoon in the early 70's, and several of us in front IASW with nothing in the background but the railroad tracks.

Germboy
10-10-2004, 08:00 PM
several of us in front IASW with nothing in the background but the railroad tracks.

Too bad you can't post that! Was it before IASW was put in?

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-10-2004, 08:52 PM
IASW is there, but there is no toontown, motor boats to the right and IASW behind us. That picture may have been from 71 or 72.

ModHatter
10-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Just an FYI, there's a great aerial shot in the Disney Treasures Tomorrowland DVDs. It's in the Epcot film, which is available online as well.

ArthurBang
10-11-2004, 10:07 AM
So what year were skull rock and the pirate ship removed?

If it was 82, I should have been old enough to remember it but I don't.

By the way, the pin of the pirate ship from the current dining pin series is one of the most popular. Here's a picture: http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=31046&sid=7820.1097517904

olegc
10-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Skull Rock and Captain Hook's ship were removed during the Fantasyland rehab - and I think that was 1989 (i know, I know - is that rehab or refurb... I forget... ;-) )

ZenMickey
10-11-2004, 11:59 AM
The new Fantasyland project started in 1982 and officially opened in 1983.

I've always liked the Pirate Ship and especially Skull Rock. RIP :(

I Heart Disneyland!
10-11-2004, 03:06 PM
What a memory for me! I'd completely forgotten about Skull Rock until this thread! What a fun trip back to the past! :cool: