PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for fine-Tooning Tomorrowland

ModHatter
10-09-2004, 08:27 PM
I've posed this solution before, but with Buzz being built and Nemo perilously close to invading Tomorrowland, I decided to revamp an old idea.

Originally, the idea was to create a live-action film of the Submarine Voyage, a la the Pirates movie. Instead, how about creating a truly futuristic animated film. It's probably too late to get Pixar to create it for Disney, and Treasure Planet is just a questionable overlay to a clearly unfuturistic story.

How about a Jetsons-style futuristic comedy? Maybe a Disney-compatible animated Martian Chronicles?

If we can't keep the toons out of Tomorrowland, could it be possible to put Tomorrowland into cartoons?

ModHatter
10-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Okay, another thread gave me this idea. While I disagreed with the post itself, it mentioned that Walt wanted Tomorrowland to be a living blueprint of the future.

With that in mind, is it possible to use Innoventions, or the whole land, to narrow down a specific element of the future as a focus? Right now, the emphasis seems to be space travel. But, what about a 10 year plan to highlight, say, entertainment. How will we entertain ourselves 50 years from now? Then after 10 years, we focus on transportation, or how we enjoy nature in the future, have a new House of the Future.

Many of these will be superficial changes. Modular landscaping, ride signage, "in the spotlight" features on Disneyland guidemaps, etc. New scenes and spiels for a new PeopleMover. Maybe you add new ridefilm destinations for Star Tours, and new shows in HISTA. But even if the actual rides stay more or less the same, you keep Tomorrowland rotating, keep it constantly dynamic.

10-22-2004, 05:50 AM
Stylistically, the Jetsons is spot-on for Tomorrowland. Science and technology could solve anything - even put a man on the moon!

Can the Imagineers bring optimism back to Tomorrowland?

itig
10-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Can the Imagineers bring optimism back to Tomorrowland?

This is spot on. When I look at the old Tomorrowland pics, they convey a hopeful future. Even though it would be considered very retro now, the old version would be a huge improvement over the current 'brown' Tomorrowland.

DrIndianaJones
10-22-2004, 12:14 PM
We have agreed on TL many times before, ModHatter. This time, I have to agree with you again.

The reason why TL sucks space rocks right now is because Disney, Co doesn't want to pony up the money that it would take to make the area dynamic. They just don't see it as being good enough to pull larger number than what they are already getting ("Why do better when what we are doing now works?"). This kind of thinking will be the downfall of the Company and Disneyland itself.

While we have CM Matt in charge of DL, he still has to pass things by an uncooperative Board/Pres/CEO.

MrTomMorrow
10-22-2004, 01:48 PM
I visited WDW and the Magic Kingdom for the first time earlier this year, and I was amazed by how wonderfully optimistic their Tomorrowland was. Attractions like the Timekeeper and the Carousel of Progress really gave me a future to look forward to. Disneyland doesn't have these two attractions, which really give the land a "forward" feel. Sadly, these two attractions appear to be on the chopping block soon...

Maybe they can "save" the Carousel of Progress and bring it back to Disneyland...

sambo
10-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Nope - ain't gonna happen. A forward looking Tomorrowland? No. It's quite rapidly becoming an extension of ToonTown. :crying:

The future - is history...