PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Cruise visitors get another shot at fun - Orange County Register, 10/8/04

Darkbeer
10-09-2004, 05:25 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/10/08/sections/business/oc_region/article_267767.php

QuikQuote: Disney officials said the guns came back because so many visitors asked for them. People who rode the boats this week said the hippo scene makes more sense when the guide fires a warning shot - even if it is fake. "We believe these enhancements recapture Walt Disney's vision for the Jungle Cruise by providing a highly entertaining and memorable experience for guests," spokesman Bob Tucker said.
The Tiki Room, also an original attraction, is closed for extensive repairs through next spring. The Tea Cups, modified recently because of a state mandate, will get some of their old spin back next year with the aid of an advanced braking system.

Wendi
10-09-2004, 07:21 AM
The Tea Cups, modified recently because of a state mandate, will get some of their old spin back next year with the aid of an advanced braking system.

I'm happy to hear that the teacups will get their "old spin" back!!! Yippee!!!

AVP
10-09-2004, 07:54 AM
The Tea Cups, modified recently because of a state mandate, will get some of their old spin back next year with the aid of an advanced braking system.Wait - didn't DOSH completely deny that they had ANYTHING to do with this????

AVP

D-lander 1956
10-09-2004, 07:59 AM
I'm happy to hear that the teacups will get their "old spin" back!!! Yippee!!!

Oh boy, does this remind me of when I was a kid. I had 2 older brothers and I was the dorky little sister with glasses. The three of us would go on the teacups, and my brothers would spin the cup so fast, all I could do was lean my head back and be glued to the back of the cup. The last time I rode with them, my glasses flew off and landed over by the whale is shatters. :crying:

Needless, to say I never rode with them again!

Opus1guy
10-09-2004, 09:37 AM
People who rode the boats this week said the hippo scene makes more sense when the guide fires a warning shot - even if it is fake.

The sad part is that Disney should have known better than to remove them to begin with. Heck...the public knows! The original creators 50 years ago knew! Management for the next 40 years knew! Glad current management is finally catching up. Ugh.

"We believe these enhancements recapture Walt Disney's vision for the Jungle Cruise by providing a highly entertaining and memorable experience for guests," spokesman Bob Tucker said.

That's very nice. Applause, applause. Fade to black. But really...DUH!

Hope they didn't spend $50,000 in manhours discussing and studying this complex issue. I know I sound sarcastic and bitter, but really...this stuff should be obvious. Heck...it seems everyone knows the most basic stuff about what's right and needs to be done, except the people entrusted with the keys to the Kingdom!

I salute any new management that got this "enhancement" pushed through, but really...what takes so long? There's lots more little things like this that could be done overnight and are long needed. Lots more little "pluses" that are long overdue. Let's get to work folks!

I think a Press Release about the little bang-bangs being put back in the Jungle Cruise just emphasizes their importance to the show and how the smallest of details are what can make a show. That being the case...it makes one question how where they ever allowed to be removed to begin with???

sdfilmcritic
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear about the Tea Cups being lightened up. If I wanted to work out the flabby parts on my arms I would be going to the gym and doing freeweights on a more regular basis.

splashmtngurl
10-09-2004, 11:20 AM
i didnt realise that the teacups had ever lot their "spin" in the first place. When did that happen? i mean i havent ridden it since 2001 but still, i never heard anything about it. Why did they take the guns away in the first place? they made sense in that part of the attraction and what didnt make sense was taking them away. i agree with opus1guy, the public knows. I mean if walt knew 50 years ago that it would satisfy the public how come 50 years from then the people in charge of the kingdom dont know? well said opus1guy!

disneyperson
10-09-2004, 12:07 PM
The only time I've ever gotten sick on a ride in any park was on the teacups. On a very hot, glaringly sunny day, we decided to see how fast we could go. (four people all spinning the wheel) Big mistake, massive headache, other symptoms best not mentioned. Now I only ride at night, and take it a tad easier. Speaking of getting a workout, the wheels on Roger Rabbit wear me out. Halfway through the ride we usually just let the taxi do its thing.