We saw signs at various locations in the park tonight. They're going to be
offering Disneyland Resort gift cards, like the ones you can get at
department stores and at some malls. The sign says they'll be available in
the fall, and the cast member we talked to said he was told November. They
didn't have any other details. Seems like a more high-tech version of the
Disney Dollars.

AVP
10-08-2004, 11:17 PM
This is not supposed to replace Disney Dollars per se, but there may be an interesting infrastructure reason that this is happening.

Disneyland does not currently have the Point of Sale tracking system that WDW has, which means that they can't track AP and CM purchases in the same way that WDW does, and they can't handle the combined room key / charge card system. At one point a merchandise manager told me that the software and hardware to implement such a system would be in the "seven figures," and no one department was willing to take that kind of budget hit.

I was told that this new program, and the software / hardware needed to implement it, is the "first step" towards a global POS system for the resort.

(At present, quite a lot of Disneyland transactions are actually processed through a network connection to WDW)

I wonder if they were somehow able to spread the cost out among a bunch of departments, since eventually foods and hotels will be benefiting from the new system.

The cards will not be valid on food or hotel expenditures for this first phase.

AVP

I Heart Disneyland!
10-09-2004, 12:22 AM
How do you purchase Disney dollars? I'd love to start buying a few here and there to save up for our trip there in the spring. Thanks!

sdfilmcritic
10-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Disney Dollars can be obtained at any Disney Store or Disney theme park. One Disney dollar equals one U.S. dollar. It's like getting gift certificates or getting currency exchange. As far as I know these are the only two places you can obtain and spend the fictitious money. Plus they make great souveniers if you don't want to spend them.

rentayenta
10-09-2004, 06:20 AM
How do you purchase Disney dollars? I'd love to start buying a few here and there to save up for our trip there in the spring. Thanks!

When at DL I always buy a few extra Disney dollars for scrapbooks. The Tooth Fairy also gives out Disney $ ;) I don't remember where I read it on this board but if you run out of cash at the DLR you can buy Disney $ instead of using the ATM and getting charged a fee. I love that little tidbit of info.

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Is there any way you can order disney dollars and have them shipped to your address?

rentayenta
10-09-2004, 02:09 PM
There are like cash and have no barcode so if they got lost or stolen through the mail there would be no way to trace them. Call a Disney Store or go to www.DisneyStore.com

They may have the answer.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Disney Dollars can be obtained at any Disney Store or Disney theme park. One Disney dollar equals one U.S. dollar. It's like getting gift certificates or getting currency exchange. As far as I know these are the only two places you can obtain and spend the fictitious money. Plus they make great souveniers if you don't want to spend them.

Thanks so much for the info! I will be buying some to stock up for my trip in the spring. It's too easy to spend U.S. dollars, if I tuck DISNEY dollars in a drawer, I can't spend them until vacation because the Disney stores in my area have closed. :) :)

cstephens
10-09-2004, 04:22 PM
The new merchandising card is mentioned in the Holiday 2004 AP newsletter we just got today. The card can carry any amount between $5 and $1,500 and can be recharged.