PDA

View Full Version : Any word on whether APs will go up again?

disneydenisel
10-08-2004, 08:09 PM
APs just went up in March. Any idea if they will go up again for the 50th, or was that it? We're planning to go in the next 6 months and I was wondering if we should pay them ahead of time? Thanks for your help!

sediment
10-08-2004, 09:02 PM
The word is...........probably.

SCUBAbe
10-08-2004, 09:05 PM
they need to...

sdfilmcritic
10-08-2004, 11:29 PM
they need to...
You're suggesting prices go up again? I got other bills to pay.

AVP
10-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Here is one theory. Take it for what it is worth.

There were rumblings that Disneyland was going to raise AP prices this past spring, so that everyone who had an AP would need to buy or renew their pass at the higher level effective the begining of the 50th Anniversary celebration in May. Basically, any pass valid on May 5, 2005 would have been purchased at the higher rate. That didn't happen.

Then there were rumors that this effective date would be pushed back to July 16, 2004. That didn't happen.

Then there were rumors that the effective date would be pushed back to the day after Labor Day, 2004. That didn't happen.

Anyone who buys an AP right now is going to have a pass valid through the first 1/2 of the 50th Anniversary celebration, including the kick-off date and the park's actual anniversary date. IF the plan was to raise prices before those dates, someone missed a deadline or two.

If you remember back to the opening of DCA, a LOT of APs got caught up in the pro-rated renewals, and all have expiration dates around 12/31. (There was some past discussion that ALL APs would be sold with a 12/31 expiration date in the future, with the price pro-rated depending on when you bought them, but that never seemed to pan out) Nevertheless, a large % of APs expire in December / January, so it's a good time to raise rates.

Now we are hearing repeated, consistant rumors that AP prices are going to spike this coming January. I don't know if this is true, I don't know if this is some vast right-wing conspiracy to see how far a rumor will spread on the internet - we just don't know. All we do know is that quite a few cast members at the AP processing center have urged passholders to renew before January. Since I'm one of the people with a 12/31 expiration date, I guess I'll be one of those affected by any major change.

AVP

Darkbeer
10-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Currently the policy of Disney is NOT to allow someone to renew an AP unless their AP expires within the next 30 days, so for most people, it really doesn't matter! My guess, March of 2005 will see a new price hike, maybe the Premium up to $299, which would match up with price of a 2-park AP when they first offered them in November 2000! SO yes, the price might go up, but only to the old price, since they dropped the price $100 in the fall of 2001...

LilmissTinkerbell
10-09-2004, 07:21 AM
I really wish they would offer one park AP's again. I have to save up for three months as it is to buy my AP every year, and although to me, it's worth it because I love Disneyland, I don't like DCA, and don't like the fact that I am paying an extra hundred dollars or so to pay for a pass that will get me into a park that I will never go to again. Does this bother anyone else?

SoCalDude
10-09-2004, 10:19 AM
I really wish they would offer one park AP's again. I have to save up for three months as it is to buy my AP every year, and although to me, it's worth it because I love Disneyland, I don't like DCA, and don't like the fact that I am paying an extra hundred dollars or so to pay for a pass that will get me into a park that I will never go to again. Does this bother anyone else?

ya, we never really go into DCA and if they offered a one-park AP for less I would take it, but I assume thats why they do NOT offer it.... they have to know many people would take it, putting less money in their hands.

disneyperson
10-09-2004, 10:37 AM
ya, we never really go into DCA and if they offered a one-park AP for less I would take it, but I assume thats why they do NOT offer it.... they have to know many people would take it, putting less money in their hands.
I think you are right. There are probably a lot of AP holders who'd jump at a reduced price one park pass. I know I would. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot to make such an offer.

sdfilmcritic
10-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Why don't they just offer a seperate AP for just one park, instead of stripping all the APs of the two park feature? I enjoy the fact that my AP covers both parks. I wouldn't be happy if they stripped off the both park access from my AP just because there some people who don't want the "extra feature" on their AP.

disneyperson
10-09-2004, 11:35 AM
what you suggest is exactly what I meant. If there was an option to choose just one park at a discount from the two-park pass I would probably take it. Except for TOT and Soarin Over Califiornia ,there's not much in DCA I like and my daughter hates it there.Except for about two hours in July when we went on TOT and a quick look see at the Eletrical Parade, we haven't even set foot in DCA in the last four visits.I think Disney would be very stupid to make such an offer. I think they'd lose money and attendance in DCA would go down even more.

SoCalDude
10-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I enjoy the fact that my AP covers both parks. I wouldn't be happy if they stripped off the both park access from my AP just because there some people who don't want the "extra feature" on their AP.

well, the theory is that we are paying for 2 parks now, so if they made a one-park option it would be less. Because, in theory you would be getting less than what you are now. But I really can't see them offering a year pass for less than $100.. but we can dream, lol.

disneydenisel
10-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Sounds like we would be safe to buy our APs before year-end just in case. Thanks for the help!

cstephens
10-09-2004, 04:23 PM
As I understand it, WDW doesn't offer single-park APs or even an AP that only covers a few of the parks rather than all four, so I don't see that they'll start that here.

Do they offer single-park APs in the other locations where there's more than one park (Tokyo, Paris)?

TrekkieDad
10-09-2004, 04:47 PM
I bought 2 Deluxe AP "certificates" by mail from a credit union. Printed on them is the requirement that they must be used before Jan 3, 2005. If the price is going up, I'm guessing that would be the date.

rentayenta
10-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Jan. 3, 2005 is also the day that park hoppers expire. I am betting you are right TrekkieDad. I wonder if all ticket option prices will be raised?

sediment
10-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Do they offer single-park APs in the other locations where there's more than one park (Tokyo, Paris)?
Tokyo does. Check their web site. Or search here for my rantings on how expensive the passes are there compared with here.
It helps to have two really great parks.

CM Matt could go back to one-park APs. DCA isn't his baby, so he doesn't have to protect it.

Nancy
10-10-2004, 09:23 AM
sediment]Tokyo does. Check their web site. Or search here for my rantings on how expensive the passes are there compared with here.
It helps to have two really great parks.

CM Matt could go back to one-park APs. DCA isn't his baby, so he doesn't have to protect it

It isn't his baby, but he does have an intrest in keeping it successful. :)

sambo
10-10-2004, 02:53 PM
They probably will raise the prices again...

The problem for me is the lack of options other than an AP. In the year my family goes, we only go once and stay for more than 5 days - usually longer than ten days. In 2005 we will be staying for 15 days. You must purchase an AP to make that cost effective. It is cheaper than three five day park hoppers. $279 vs $387. If the APs exceed $387, we'll skip it and stick with the multiple hoppers... :(

sediment
10-10-2004, 05:36 PM
It isn't his baby, but he does have an intrest in keeping it successful. :)
True, but he doesn't have an interest in making look more successful than it is, on paper or otherwise, unlike The Dark Period.

Disney Vault
10-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Who knows, maybe in about 10 years DCA will be successful after Matt spends some time on it.