PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly Picky Eaters at D'land

JTCarrey
10-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a question for some of the parents out there. I'm taking my neighbors two children, aged 9 and 11, to Disneyland possibly around November and their mother told me that they refuse to eat anything but junk food, she's tried over and over to have them eat fruits and vegetables and they refuse. They're a little old to try to coax them, but I can't have them running on hamburgers and hot dogs all day. Beside fruit juices, do you have any ideas of how I can get these necessary nutrients in their diets? Does Disneyland offer a kind of service to secretly mix veggies in their meals? I asked them if they liked pickles even and they said no. :(

mystycalchyk
10-08-2004, 12:00 PM
whoohooo, I just did this. Took my niece and nephew a couple of weekends ago. The nephew isnt too bad but egads, our niece is majorly picky. :rolleyes:

We took fruit cups with us in a small collapsible cooler. It was hot and the fruit was a cool treat. Plus we had fruit roll ups. Its a candy I can agree with. At least they are made with real fruit. Also granola bars were a hit. (or you can try the cereal bars or fruity breakfast bars). Trail mix is a healthy snack.

Good luck!

JTCarrey
10-08-2004, 12:11 PM
those are all good ideas, I'll bring those with me :) thanks

Hakuna Makarla
10-08-2004, 12:17 PM
hummm I do not think your going to change there eating habbits during a trip to disneyland, give them the burger, I run just fine on them :D seriously, if your going to disneyland and they will only eat junk food give it to them its disneyland and you want everyone to be happy right.saves you from getting frustrated over the foods they refuse to eat, and there happy to get the foods they love. Now if they were your kids or family I would be more concerned ( not that you should not be now after all there kids) But In order to save some hassles bring fruit juices, and some snacks like 100% fruit roll ups. heck, give them a carmel apple, there's your fruit and your milk LOL! ( ok joking but when we are on our trip my kids can have what they want, its a vacation ;) theres 3hundred and some odd other days to make them buckle down and eat right:D

olegc
10-08-2004, 12:19 PM
This may sound harsh - but do you have to make them eat healthy on this day? Make it fun, etc. -let them have the foods they like (except not a lot of volume)...

I would try to bring one or two things for them to get something in them.. but it's disneyland - they will see all of the snack foods around them and not think of anything else..

Just my take...

rentayenta
10-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Is it possible that they will drink milk with their meals instead of soda? My weird kids actualy prefer milk :confused:

They have caramel apples which isn't ideal but there is a fruit inside there somewhere.

I like the fruit cup idea. Applesauce is good too.

disneyperson
10-08-2004, 12:27 PM
hummm I do not think your going to change there eating habbits during a trip to disneyland, give them the burger, I run just fine on them :D seriously, if your going to disneyland and they will only eat junk food give it to them its disneyland and you want everyone to be happy right.saves you from getting frustrated over the foods they refuse to eat, and there happy to get the foods they love. Now if they were your kids or family I would be more concerned ( not that you should not be now after all there kids) But In order to save some hassles bring fruit juices, and some snacks like 100% fruit roll ups. heck, give them a carmel apple, there's your fruit and your milk LOL! ( ok joking but when we are on our trip my kids can have what they want, its a vacation ;) theres 3hundred and some odd other days to make them buckle down and eat right:D
I agree with Karla, it's not worth arguing over,expecially since you have the mother's blessing. You can try the strawberries with chocolate dipping sauce they sell at the fruit wagons. But, really, give them what they're used to. It won't kill them and you'll save yourself and them a lot of stress.

mystycalchyk
10-08-2004, 01:35 PM
yeah, ours ended up eating only pizza, and chicken nuggets during our trip (with a few mickey waffles thrown in for good measure) but the snack things are where we tried to positively influence them :fez:

JTCarrey
10-08-2004, 04:23 PM
yea I know, I don't want them to be upset or anything but I swear they never eat vegatables or fruit, kinda surprises me, but yea, I won't fight with them, I just hate eating junk food all day myself but it's just 2 days so I guess it will be alright. I'll make suggestions, if they refuse then fine lol

sediment
10-08-2004, 05:20 PM
If this is too much for you to handle, then maybe you shouldn't take them. You'll probably be happier without them.

I don't like pickles, either.

JTCarrey
10-08-2004, 05:24 PM
I've been to Disney on my own way too much plus I used to work there, like I said, I'll make suggestions and if they refuse then that's fine, I'm not going to force them. I'm not doing the trip for me.

not saying everyone should like pickles..

sediment
10-08-2004, 05:41 PM
No one's making you eat junk. You might have to watch, though.

You can also make it a game. Like it's a "Let's eat stuff we wouldn't normally eat" trip. Or "Whoever eats the healthy food gets to choose the next ride." Something like that.
Be imaginearative!! (See, like making up words.)

Susan L
10-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Its their parents responsibility to get them to eat healthly not yours and certainly not on a trip to Disneyland. Unless these children have some serious health concerns, which from the sounds of it they don't, let them eat what they want.

As for their mom if she really buckled down she could get them to eat non junk food. How? You just don't buy the junk food therefore you don't serve it and when they are hungry enough they will eat the healthly stuff.

I don't know I never had a problem with my kids eating the healthly stuff, they like fruits and veggies and junk food.

sami869
10-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Completely off topic, forgive me:

[QUOTE=sediment]Attention: "Refurb" not "rehab"...QUOTE]
Your sig reminded me of somethign someone said the other day: "Broken rides go to refurb, broken people go to rehab"

Earkid
10-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Churro's ARE a vegetable.....................in DLand! :D

tink1234
10-08-2004, 08:40 PM
I doubt DL is the time to do it, but here's how its done in my house: Food is set on table. You eat that food. You leave the table.

Hmm...not hungry for what mommy serves? Then I guess you will have a nice appetite for the next meal! Snack? What snack? Oh, you mean you would like the plate I covered for you in the fridge. Sure, I would be glad to heat it up for you! I would hate for you to be hungry!! :fez:

Pirate Girl
10-08-2004, 08:51 PM
You can also make it a game. Like it's a "Let's eat stuff we wouldn't normally eat" trip.(See, like making up words.)

That like playing the "Lets see who can be quiet the longest" game. Have you ever played that with kids? It immediatly turns into who can be the loudest.

Pirate Girl
10-08-2004, 08:53 PM
On another level: Dole Whip? If they are open.

GrumpyUTboi
10-08-2004, 09:09 PM
JT,

Good for those kids! :D Fruits, YUCK. and Vegi's, DOUBLE YUCK! I have never liked the two except for a ham and pineapple pizza. Okay, vegis on a pizza are good, but I have never been a big fan of the two. My 4 kids are especially banannas. Ugh they hit that gag reflex. YUCK YUCK YUCK! :eek:

Disneyfreak
10-08-2004, 10:10 PM
If you miss out on the awesome food they have at the Disneyland Resort then your missing part of the experience. I say eat healty on another day, not at Disneyland. :)

disneyperson
10-09-2004, 10:49 AM
I doubt DL is the time to do it, but here's how its done in my house: Food is set on table. You eat that food. You leave the table.

Hmm...not hungry for what mommy serves? Then I guess you will have a nice appetite for the next meal! Snack? What snack? Oh, you mean you would like the plate I covered for you in the fridge. Sure, I would be glad to heat it up for you! I would hate for you to be hungry!! :fez:
I think I saw this scene in "Mommy Dearest" (kidding)

tink1234
10-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I think I saw this scene in "Mommy Dearest" (kidding)
HA! HA!:-p

JTCarrey
10-11-2004, 03:50 PM
I had an idea actually, someone mentioned the dole whips, well I let one of the girls try a jamba juice the other day and she liked it, so it's kinda like a treat and she's getting her fruits, I already said I'm not gonna make a big deal of it, if they want it, they'll eat it, if not then fine, we'll just go on a ride and enjoy ourselves :P