PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't there heaters at Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

Kitsune_SD
10-07-2004, 07:18 PM
It gets so cold in Disneyland at night in the winter, why don't they have any heaters at any of the restaurant patios or parade/show viewing areas? My guess has always been that Disney wants to sell more jackets/sweaters/blankets and hot chocolate/coffee drinks, does anyone know if this has anything to do with it? Don't most other theme parks have those propane patio heaters in the winter? Did Disneyland ever have them? I have wondered about this for years...

SCUBAbe
10-07-2004, 08:01 PM
I've never been that cold at DL, but maybe they don't want people just sitting under them. At restaurants they probably would like to turn more tables over than have people warming themselves under heaters. The only place I've seen those heaters is at restaurants not in a theme park. I see them in san louis alot. It gets really chilly by the ocean though. Oh, I also saw them on catalina when we were eating on the patio on a nice restaurant..:)

sediment
10-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Maybe it's more that people wouldn't leave the restaurants, depriving the restaurant of additional revenues.
Secondly, it's a pretty big place to heat up. Shouldn't DL EXPECT guests to dress properly for the weather?

Kitsune_SD
10-07-2004, 08:13 PM
I get cold really easily, so no matter how many layers I put on I end up cold if I am just sitting around at Disneyland on a winter evening. Somehow the turnover rate at the restaurants hadn't occured to me, but it makes perfect sense. Lots of times it's hard to find an empty table even when it is cold, so adding heaters to the equation would make things worse...

Bruce Bergman
10-07-2004, 08:22 PM
They have had natural gas outdoor radiant heaters at the outdoor seating areas of the Plaza Inn for 3 or 4 years, and they added both gas and electric radiant heaters when they remodeled Casa Mexicana into Casa Del Zocalo a few years ago.

I guess they're adding them as the different outdoor dining seating areas get a major remodel, and they have the pavement torn up so they can add gas pipes. The heaters at the restaurant areas get people to dine there in the evenings without hesitation. (Because "It's Too Cold!" without them.)

They won't be adding heaters near the parade viewing areas or other public areas, as there's no incentive to do so - they'd be spending money on gas to heat the outdoors without any profit center (restaurant) to charge the fuel & equipment costs to.

It may be "the Happiest Place On Earth", but it's still a business underneath all that happiness. ;)

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Kitsune_SD
10-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Whoa. I must have missed those. I remember sitting at a table on the Plaza Inn patio a couple years ago & freezing while waiting for the fireworks. Perhaps my memory is foggy? Wouldn't be the first time...

I wish they would put them at the French Market, my food always gets cold before I can finish it when I eat there in the winter. Maybe I just need to switch to Blue Bayou for the winter months! :)

Bruce Bergman
10-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Whoa. I must have missed those. I remember sitting at a table on the Plaza Inn patio a couple years ago & freezing while waiting for the fireworks. Perhaps my memory is foggy? Wouldn't be the first time...

They're sneaky - they disguised the heaters at the Plaza Inn by putting an umbrella on top of them, so they look like the other umbrellas in the area. Of course, they're probably Nomex umbrellas...

If they weren't lit, you might not notice they were there.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-07-2004, 09:53 PM
I don't usually get cold enough to need a heater. But if I do, I don't mind, just an excuse to buy a new sweatshirt. I always seem to "forget" mine.

Opus1guy
10-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Could be a theming issue. They wouldn't "fit in" with the theme of the land?

TP2000
10-07-2004, 11:03 PM
80% of America's theme parks close down entirely for the winter months, so I don't think you could blame Disneyland for taking the cheap way out "compared" to other theme parks. Only in Southern California and Florida do theme parks stay open year round, even in January and February. Up in relatively mild San Francisco, and out in mild Atlanta and Charlotte, the Six Flags and Paramount parks there are closed from Halloween until Easter.

I think this is one of those things where society has gotten more babied and coddled over the past 20 years, and now we expect gas heaters warming us up and making us cozy at every turn whenver the temperature dips below 55 degrees.

Disneyland, and the Disney theme parks in Florida, are one of the very few theme parks that stay open 12 months out of the year. I suppose if we really didn't like the wintertime temperatures we could suggest that Disneyland shut down from November through March, and then we wouldn't have to worry about chilly Anaheim evenings.

sdfilmcritic
10-07-2004, 11:16 PM
I've never been that cold at DL, but maybe they don't want people just sitting under them. At restaurants they probably would like to turn more tables over than have people warming themselves under heaters. The only place I've seen those heaters is at restaurants not in a theme park. I see them in san louis alot. It gets really chilly by the ocean though. Oh, I also saw them on catalina when we were eating on the patio on a nice restaurant..:)
You might want to check out LEGOland during the winter. They bring out the tall gas heater stands and place them at key areas throughout the park that congregate the most people. You'll see them mostly at the restaurants in the patio seating areas, but they do have them.

GrumpyUTboi
10-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Disneyland does not get chilly at night! To me chilly is when it is 40 degree or below, that is chilly. Then again I am from Utah and I wear shorts year round (I really hate pants and I am always hot). You see you get cold and stay cold and you want heaters at DL and as for me I would be sitting at the restaurants hopping mad because I thought it would be to dang hot.What a quandry for DL! Your cold and I am hot! I've wondered why DL doesn't have the misting thing to cool the restaurants during the day to keep people cool.

blusilva
10-08-2004, 07:30 AM
I'm fairly sure they have them at the Vineyard Room. So, if you want to view a parade and be hot, I guess that would be the place to do it!

Susan L
10-08-2004, 07:53 AM
I'm with you GrumpyUTboi. I also have never been that cold during the winter at DL. I always wear shorts day or night. But, also where we live we wear shorts even when its snowing. So. California is very warm to us.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
10-08-2004, 10:18 AM
We go every December and just take warm jackets and extra layers for the evening. I have never given it a second thought that there are no heaters. I just doesn't seem that cold, and it gives us a chance to actually wear our winter clothing. So little chance to do that in San Diego, we almost appreciate the opportunity to bundle up once in awhile.

DCAWhites
10-08-2004, 11:54 AM
The only time I really ever get cold at disneyland is taking the tram back at night, its soooo windy and cold in december at 12:30am.

splashmtngurl
10-08-2004, 03:54 PM
that would boost up DL's monthly bills alot wouldnt it? i'm not sure Disney has that sort of income ;)

rentayenta
10-08-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm with GrumpyUt on this. I am originally from So Cal and remember the nights getting cold there. I had no freakin' idea what cold was until I moved to Utah. It does get chilly at night but now it's a comfy chilly to me. I do have to change into pants once the sun goes down.

Kitsune_SD
10-08-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm a native San Diegan all the way, I have never lived outside the city limits here, and I just get cold real easy. I even hate snow, the first time I went to winter camp (still in San Diego county, mind you) and it snowed, I was freezing my butt off even wearing thermal underwear, sweaters, heavy snow boots, etc... I know I would never survive winter anywhere else, I am just so spoiled by the mild weather down here. So, no shorts in winter for me!

I do thank you for all the info on where to find heaters at D'land. Next time I get cold I'll head for Plaza Inn or Rancho del Zocalo with a cup of hot chocolate!

Kitsune_SD
10-08-2004, 07:09 PM
You might want to check out LEGOland during the winter. They bring out the tall gas heater stands and place them at key areas throughout the park that congregate the most people. You'll see them mostly at the restaurants in the patio seating areas, but they do have them.

Yeah, it's been a while since I last went to Legoland. Now that you mention them, I do remember being around when I went there for New Year's Eve a few years back. That may even be what started me on my "where are the heaters" kick at Disneyland!

Pirate Girl
10-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Cold is in the eye of the beholder. Coming down to DL from Portland at Christmas means that watching the fireworks is downright balmy. ;)

GrumpyUTboi
10-08-2004, 09:01 PM
DL cold? Right now it is 70 degrees.

79 degrees for the high, 59 degrees for the low for Sat
73 degrees for the high, 58 degrees for the low for Sun
72 degrees for the high, 59 degrees for the low for Mon
76 degrees for the high, 57 degrees for the low for Tues
78 degrees for the high, 58 degrees for the low Fo Wed

I'm sorry, what would "cold" constitute? At 11 pm here in Utah it is 61 degrees and that is getting nice to sleep with the windows open. Hopefully it gets down to 45 for optimum sleep. :D

SCUBAbe
10-08-2004, 09:03 PM
ok, but I have no desire to go to legoland...:)..so I still have never seen them in a theme park, but I will look for them st DL next time..:)

sediment
10-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm a native San Diegan all the way, I have never lived outside the city limits here, and I just get cold real easy. I even hate snow, the first time I went to winter camp (still in San Diego county, mind you) and it snowed, I was freezing my butt off even wearing thermal underwear, sweaters, heavy snow boots, etc... I know I would never survive winter anywhere else, I am just so spoiled by the mild weather down here. So, no shorts in winter for me!

I do thank you for all the info on where to find heaters at D'land. Next time I get cold I'll head for Plaza Inn or Rancho del Zocalo with a cup of hot chocolate!
So there you go. It's really your problem.
My suggestion: don't stop. Keep walking. Stop for food? What do you think churros are for? Sitting and waiting for fireworks? Bah! ast I checked, they are fired overhead, so nearly the whole park can see them. Just keep walking, just keep walking...what do we do? We just keep walking....

Disney Vault
10-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Im from seattle so as long as it isnt raining im happy.