PDA

View Full Version : DIsneyland Chat Room

Pages : [1] 2

Ace
11-25-2001, 11:05 AM
Does such a thing exist? there should be one on Mouseplanet!

tabacco
11-25-2001, 05:15 PM
Hey, if the machine Mousepad is on suports PHP and MySQL, I'll write one :)

Ace
11-25-2001, 05:17 PM
and if you write one, I'll go there

Nfatuated
11-25-2001, 08:00 PM
I too feel this would be an awsome addition to mouseplanet

MammaSilva
11-25-2001, 08:23 PM
Oh I agree, schedule chats would be soooo much fun!

zapppop
11-25-2001, 08:34 PM
If everyone downloads AOL IM you can create your own chat room and invite whoever you want.

MammaSilva
11-25-2001, 09:59 PM
you can use chat on almost any of the instant message programs but I haven't had a lot of luck with the AOL IM on my computer for some reason :(

Matterhorn Fan
11-26-2001, 05:32 AM
AOL members can open a chat room with AOL members, but not people who are using AIM. Similarly, someone who is on AIM cannot invite a person with an actual AOL account into a chat room through that program.

At least this was the situation the last time I tried. It's an annoying little bug (but perhaps they've fixed it?).

mrfantasmic
11-26-2001, 06:44 PM
Any way to disguise a chat room from Norton Internet Security??
I might get on then.

tabacco
11-26-2001, 08:05 PM
Well, if it's the system I had in mind, it would be indistinguishable from any other web site. You can use PHP/MySQL to write a chat system that's just straight-out html, as far as the browser and any firewalls can see.

Dufus
11-26-2001, 10:48 PM
That'd be kinda ugly, not to mention a huge drag on the system, if it got even slightly busy. IRC would be better, especially since users could use whatever client they want, and it's remotely located.

Morrigoon
11-26-2001, 10:52 PM
EFnet's pretty widely used, but unless someone can write a nice secure bot it'd be in constant danger of hijacking

tabacco
11-26-2001, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Dufus
That'd be kinda ugly, not to mention a huge drag on the system, if it got even slightly busy. IRC would be better, especially since users could use whatever client they want, and it's remotely located.

Trust me, it isn't. It's insanely simple code, so it's VERY fast to parse. You limit the scroll buffer to reduce query and load times, and it takes in the range of milliseconds to perform a refresh server-side. Then whatever it takes for your browser/connection to load up <5k of html and render it.

It's also not bad looking, if you open it up in a dedicated window. We run the code on protonic.com along with a custom-written shell system that allows for smilies and certain commands as well as plain chat. That adds negligible delay to the server-side processing time. In fact, the whole interface we wrote is designed to mimic IRC while requiring nothing but the usual http socket.

As for database access speed, with a limited scroll buffer it isn't neccesary to store much conversation at all. We run a cron job to clear out the chat database table every night at midnight, which keeps our table to <2000 rows at most. We've had this code live for about 4-5 months now without a single problem.

It also has none of the problem of IRC (channel takeovers, etc.) and you can easily create systems to let you require registration (or use the vBulletin users database), kick/ban members, etc.

Ace
11-27-2001, 03:15 PM
see, mousepad wouldn't even have to pay. (?).... and we could use our Mousepad names, and it wouldn't take up that much space... we could have Mouseplanet guys in here, and Imagineers and Cast members and scheduled chats... what do you think, Mouseplanet?

mcampisi
11-27-2001, 04:53 PM
What would be the bandwidth requirements for that to work? I would consider hosting one for us on my own network if it's not too much over head. I have a full speed DSL connection here an extra servers I could use on my site for it.

I could make it as simple as a Java based chat. Let me know.

tabacco
11-27-2001, 05:47 PM
Squinky: Yeah, I'm willing to write one for free :)

mcampisi: Bandwidth requirements for my script are pretty negligible. It should be fine on whatever connection mousepad already has. I think vBulletin uses MySQL as its backend (we stopped using it awhile ago... I forget), and I know the server has PHP running :)

Ace
11-27-2001, 07:29 PM
has mousepad said anything about this? it's FREE, thanks to tabacco, and it's a really good idea!

tabacco
11-27-2001, 07:43 PM
Haven't heard anything yet... I don't know who to contact to make the offer to.

brian
11-28-2001, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
Haven't heard anything yet... I don't know who to contact to make the offer to.

The suggestion has been brought up within the MousePlanet organization. We're checking into it, folks... and thanks for the idea!

tabacco
11-28-2001, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by brian
The suggestion has been brought up within the MousePlanet organization. We're checking into it, folks... and thanks for the idea!

Spiffy... thanks Brian!

Ace
11-28-2001, 03:25 PM
scoooooooooooore! I feel lame since the "I" is capitalized though... but it really would be cool.

Ace
11-28-2001, 06:22 PM
oh yeah! post number 2 hundred! here!

Ace
01-24-2002, 06:23 PM
what's happening with this?

Morrigoon
01-24-2002, 06:27 PM
EFnet on IRC would work, but it's SO widely used that takeovers are an everyday occurrence. How about coolchat? maybe #mousepad or something.

tabacco
01-24-2002, 09:00 PM
I haven't heard a thing from mouseplanet. :confused: