PDA

View Full Version : What time is the swim thing on Tues?

SoCalDude
10-04-2004, 07:24 PM
I looked in a few places and did not notice a time listed for the swim event -- did I just miss it or what? Does anybody know the time it will be?

:confused: :confused:

Oldtimer
10-04-2004, 10:25 PM
I believe it will be at 10:00 am.

Enjoy!
Oldtimer
:cool:

AVP
10-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Swim—and parade—with the stars (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr041004.htm)

This Tuesday, three members of the U.S. Olympic swim team—Ian Crocker, Lenny Krayzelburg and Michael Phelps—appear at Disneyland in their final stop of the Swim with the Stars tour. The trio will participate in a “swim meet” in a specially built pool on Main Street, U.S.A.

Disneyland opens at 10 am on Tuesday, and visitors wanting to see the events should plan to arrive by 9:30 am when the main gates open. A Disneyland representative says there will be limited seating along the pool, and seating is first-come, first-served. If you don't snag a seat poolside, watch for the swimmers to participate in “cavalcade” processions between the “it's a small world” parade gate and the pool before and after the meet.

SoCalDude
10-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Ya, read that ^^ just before I posted this. It seems to be the common statment 'get there asap' but no real time. I was guessing 10:30? But seeing the pics of them setting it up its much smaller (shorter) than I thought it would be. So that added onto the fact we can't get there before 10 tells me we will not be able to go check it out, other than the pictures I hope to see posted here :fez:

oh well, but thanks for the help.

AVP
10-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Ya, read that ^^ just before I posted this. It seems to be the common statment 'get there asap' but no real time. I was guessing 10:30? Even Disney has not released a firm itinerary - the cast members I was talking to yesterday were all confused, and had been given conflicting info from their bosses.

AVP

JamesBond007
10-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Check www.swimwiththestars.com

LOYL2DZNY
10-05-2004, 10:08 AM
...But seeing the pics of them setting it up...

ok...where exactly are these pictures of them setting up the pool?

Tinker Bell
10-05-2004, 11:32 AM
it was way crowded Lots of people stoping in the walk way. CM yelling at people I left bout half way though I could not take it anymore. Hope someone got good pix. They were not talking to the people but to the reporters.:(

SoCalDude
10-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Check www.swimwiththestars.com
LOL -- 'doh! Never dawned upon me they would have a site for this..

from here:
http://www.dldhistory.com/gallery.asp?Tab=Disneyland&Page=119&Current=253
pictures taken by Richard aka 'rlmsoft'

And thanks for that update Tinker Bell - I figured it would be bust there. I slept in this morning and rahter do that then deal with crowds, lol.

LOYL2DZNY
10-05-2004, 12:18 PM
hey, thanks!!!

sediment
10-05-2004, 12:49 PM
it was way crowded Lots of people stoping in the walk way. CM yelling at people I left bout half way though I could not take it anymore. Hope someone got good pix. They were not talking to the people but to the reporters.:(
How many people thought this was a bit of a not-well-thought-out idea?
DTD might have been a better place, if there is a straight 50-meter stretch wide enough to handle the pool.

CarlieB
10-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Even the Esplanade might have been better...

Tinker Bell
10-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Any where then where they put it. Anyone trying to get any where in DL had to try and get around the pool by way of small path on each side. Or though the stores.Or take the train.When I was leaving around 11:30 more people where pouring into DL. I ran for dear life.It was worst then Fantasmic.

olegc
10-05-2004, 02:40 PM
It would not have been so bad had they forgone the "our shops only open at 12 noon" rule for this day. This would have provided lots of people with ample alternate methods for getting through mainstreet.

if they thought about it correctly they should have tried to do a one-way traffice process. Right when the swim ended, and the interviews begain, there was such a rush to go up mainstreet - AND to go out of Disneyland (at 11:30 am) that the bottlenecks were amazing. Combine that with some humid temps and you could hear people saying stuff like "why are they just standing there, why don't they move, c'mon, move it". If only folks realized that no one could move fast thru the walkways due to how narrow they were. COmbine that with alternate transport (strollers, electric carts, etc.) and voila.

I was not dissapointed in the "event" - I expected this to create issues. But - I was dissapointed that it was not billed as a filming of a TV or Video special. As another poster said - they spent time talking to the media and not the fans in attendance - but that's because they were filming a TV special - most likely to be on Family, er, Fox Fam, oh wait, Disney Family Channel or ABC Kids.

What got me were all the teenie-gawkers for the men swimmers - and that people were taking empty water bottles and filling them with pool water to "save" as souvenirs. Ewww!!

Tinker Bell
10-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I was not dispointed I got to see some. And when you think they will every put another pool on mainstreet. It was one of those once in a life time things.Kinda like going to DL on the fourth of July.Once is enough for me.

Darkbeer
10-05-2004, 04:46 PM
Here are some....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/241793

ENJOY:fez:

Darkbeer
10-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Also, a few shots of the pool setup from today...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/242927

No actual photos of the event, but you should get some great coverage from MousePlanet in the next day or two....

D-lander 1956
10-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Sorry folks, I think this whole "pool" thing was a horrible idea! Don't you wish they would have spent the big $$ for this non-event, and put it towards something else worth while! :confused:

olegc
10-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Don't forget - this was not a Disneyland only event. This was just the final stop on a nationwide tour that started in August at WDW - and sponsored by Disney Corp.

And we all know what kind of positioning DLR has over WDW and Disney corp - or doesn't in this case...