PDA

View Full Version : DCA---Really Reaching In It's Bag of Tricks!!

AIRLINE
11-24-2001, 04:08 PM
After all, many of us have first-hand experience that DCA does not have much to do for kids.

Now, Disney marketing-types are pushing in our faces a fancy new brochure that is going to tell us what there really is to do for kids in DCA.

It's presented under the theme of becoming a Junior Explorer. Further, in order for your kid to obtain the Junior Explorer I.D. card and the discounts that go-along with this new program, Disney marketing brain-surgeons have come-up with a wonderful way to FORCE you to run around DCA and collect 7 stickers.

Once you have all 7 stickers, then you have to come back to Engine-Ears Toys shop to pick-up your Junior Explorer I.D. card.

It's no problem collecting the first 6 stickers...just go around to the places highlighted on the map.....the 7th sticker...and here's where the "hitch" comes-in, requires you to "stick-around" for Duminaria and while viewing Duminaria, you'll be able to claim you're 7th sticker and eligible for those most wonderful discounts I posted about earlier.

I suppose cast members will be "passing-out" the 7th sticker during the show, but when I asked a cast member how this works, she politely said she wasn't sure...and I haven't stuck around this week to watch Duminaria to find out for myself.

This 7th sticker trick I suppose is to get you to stay in the park as long as possible so that Mickey and his freinds can shake every coin out-of your pockets. So much so that by the time you're able to use the discounts, (you can't get the card until you have all 7 stickers) many of the restaurants are already closed for the day and during the weekday, (with earlier closing times) the park closes-up just as Duminaria begins it's show....this discount card is totally useless and a slap in the face of any parent's intelligence!

I will say that the combined map/brochure is very colorful and Disney marketing-types have gone to very, very great lengths to fully describe what your kids can do within the park....I am amazed by the creativity (or imagineering) that has gone into this piece. They have even highlighted what the height restrictions are for those attractions and are "color-keyed", since DCA has only four different height restrictions.

It's as if Cynthia Harriss' stamp of approval is on this thing.

Anyway, here's some excerpts from the brochure and map to give you an idea what they are attempting to do:

This is from the fold-out map itself......

GET ON THE PATH TO STICKERS & HOLIDAY FUN...
& GET SOMETHING SPECIAL WHEN YOU'RE DONE!

On your mark...get set...GO!

Just follow the trail of grizzly paw prints to adventures and fun. When you stop at one of the seven attraction sticker stops, you'll get a sticker for your map!

Collect all seven stickers to become a Junior Explorer!
Just show your completed map at the Engine-Ears Toys shop to pick up your very own, honorary Junior Explorer I.D.

Be sure to visit Santa at his special vacation spot Nov. 22 thru Dec. 24, 2001.

Look for him where you see (caption of a Santa hat).

And be a part of our show!

Create your own holiday art card at the card making station (caption of a flag) on the map. Who knows, you might even see your artwork featured in tonight's performance of Disney's LuminAria Show.

(All information subject to change without notice.)

Your Seven Attraction Sticker Stops are:

1. Jim Henson's Muppet-Vision 3D
2. Disney Animation
3. Tractor Yard & Irrigation Station
4. King Triton's Carousel
5. S.S. Rustworthy
6. Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
7. Disney's LuminAria Show

From the flip-side of the map, when viewed as a brochure:

FIND FUN FOR EXPLORERS OF ALL SIZES

It doesn't matter if you're big or small, because in Disney's California Adventure park you're always the right size for having fun at the following places:

HOLLYWOOD PICTURES BACKLOT

**Disney Animation
**Jim Henson's Muppet-Vision 3D
**Superstar Limo
**Who Wants To Be A Millionaire--Play It!
**Goofy's Beach Party Bash
...and be sure to look for Cruella De Vil, Donald, Goofy, Max and some of Disney's newest stars!

GOLDEN STATE

**Tractor Yard
**Irrigation Station
**It's Tough To Be A Bug!
**Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
**Golden Dreams
...and be sure to look for Mickey Mouse and Flik in Bountiful Valley Farm, Minnie Mouse in Condor Flats, and Chip n' Dale in Redwood Creek Challenge Trail!

Paradise Pier
**Sun Wheel
**King Triton's Carousel
**S.S. Rustworthy
**Golden Zephyr
**Games of the Boardwalk
**Disney's LuminAria, a new holiday nighttime spectacular

On the next page.....

DISCOVER THRILLS FOR BIGGER EXPLORERS

If you're over 40" tall, be sure to check out these awesome adventures:

GOLDEN STATE
**Soarin' Over California--40" inches and taller
**Grizzly River Run--42" inches and taller

PARADISE PIER
**Jumpin' Jellyfish--40" inches and taller
**Mulholland Madness--42" inches and taller
**California Screamin'--48" inches and taller
**Orange Stinger--48" inches and taller
**Mailboomer--52" inches and taller

Discover holiday goodies throughout the Park!

Well, for those guests who have purchased two-park discount tickets...they will not feel the pain in their pockets when they discover this brochure and silly chase-around-the-park for stickers game that they haven't lost much by visiting DCA.

I have always liked DCA, it's just that kids don't have a lot to do and the arts, crafts, coloring and sticker hunting activities are not what parents have in mind when coming to the Disneyland Resort with their kids.

We'll see how this all holds-up after December 19 (when the discount promotion ends) and what DLR management will implement next to keep the bodies coming in after New Year's Day.

I assume that Guest Relations will receive many, many complaints from parents and grand-parents who have paid full-price for DCA and not receiving the full-value (at this point) in return.

zapppop
11-24-2001, 04:19 PM
It's no trick, their bag is empty.

LIMANDL4EVA
11-24-2001, 05:19 PM
over seas park's bags are full of expensive tricks, here in dca, the tricks are cheap, 99 cent magic shop tricks

zapppop
11-24-2001, 05:32 PM
Can we all sorta gang up on Eisner and k...

.....oh sorry ! let me rephrase that....

I think we should all get together with Mike Eisner and have a little .....uh.....meeting....

Who's in ?

LIMANDL4EVA
11-24-2001, 05:35 PM
not just ol mikey, pressler, a very interesting meeting

zapppop
11-24-2001, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah , Pressler .....

We can't forget him now can we :p :rolleyes: ;) :D

EandCDad
11-24-2001, 06:08 PM
This doesn't really get to the core of what you are saying but the Explorer Map thing isn't new. It was used by DCA as early as May. This is a thread about it. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=622&highlight=kids+explorer+maps) As you can see, the first post was on May 28.

Again, just because they have been doing it since May doesn't make it an any better or worse idea. Its just that they didn't just come up with this recently.

AIRLINE
11-24-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
This doesn't really get to the core of what you are saying but the Explorer Map thing isn't new. It was used by DCA as early as May. This is a thread about it. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=622&highlight=kids+explorer+maps) As you can see, the first post was on May 28.

Again, just because they have been doing it since May doesn't make it an any better or worse idea. Its just that they didn't just come up with this recently.

EandCDad:

Thanks for the link to the earlier post.

Now, the picture is even clearer...they have dusted off a previous promotion and updated the map to reflect the collection of the required new 7th sticker...that being for Duminaria.

It even galls me further that in order to obtain this 7th sticker, the parents and their kids have to stay until Duminaria. That could be a very long day for discounts that they cannot use.

I'm sure they will re-think this the next go-around.

Again...thanks for the link.

Nigel2
11-24-2001, 11:08 PM
I remeber someone telling me that DCA did some pin thing where you were an operative and you had to go arround the park to find the various locations to buy them. If they made a more complicated version of that using stamps or stickers then it could be interesting for adults to do.