PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Theming

HorizonsA
10-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Which Disneyland Resort attraction do you think has the best themeing?

This is in terms of detail, scenery, decorations, and the most important: music.

I personally think Splash Mountain is the best. Right when you enter the line, you hear music. I usually hear "How Do You Do?" music when in the que and I am always humming it when in line. Plus, I have always loved the design of the mountain itself. I will usually stand on the walkway and just stare at Chickapin Hill. It's great!

Music, I think is the most important to an attraction because it puts you into the mood for the attraction, especially a Disney one. For example, you get in line for Snow White's Scary Adventures, you hear music from the movie and that I think is important.

But back to SM, every inch of that attraction is detailed with scenery. The smell of the water is excellent. I think Splash Mountain outrates even Tower of Terror in terms of theming.

merlinjones
10-03-2004, 08:26 PM
The Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Caribbean

CarlieB
10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Haunted Manison

POTC

Splash Mountain

Indy

Disney Vault
10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
I just relized SM could be splash mt or space mt. This is why i dont like abreviations.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Hands down (for me anyway) it's Pirates! I LOVE that ride from the minute I walk in the building to the moment I walk out the exit! The sort of musty smell in there, the works! I just love Pirates!!! YO HO, YO HO!!! :p Haunted Mansion runs a VERY close second! :)

10-04-2004, 06:13 AM
It's A Small World. Yes, I'm serious.

rentayenta
10-04-2004, 06:18 AM
POTC and IASW for all around best theme including music.

Star Tours and BTMRR for the que.

Wendi
10-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Another vote for PoTC here!!!

DISNEYloon
10-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Splash Moutain and Indian Jones for sure!

Lekta
10-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Hard to choose one :

PotC
Indiana
Splash

dlandnut
10-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Pirates

Splash

Soarin'

:)

HockeyStud
10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
I think Splash Mountain would actually have to TIE with Big Thunder Mountain in terms of overall themeing(sp). The Big Thunder "Mountain" itself is beautiful and seems to transport you to places like Monument Valley. I also like the fact that once you enter the que, you start a downward slope that almost completely blocks your vision of the rest of the park. I can think of only TWO different parts of the entire ride where you get a quick glimpse of the rest of Disneyland... at the top of the 2nd lift hill, and at the crest right after the third lift hill releases the train.
Thanks for the great subject!!

napabeth
10-04-2004, 11:39 AM
POTC
Haunted Mansion
Small World
Jungle Cruise

napabeth
10-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Oops, I forgot Tower of Terror

MrsPooh
10-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Vote me for Pirates as well as HM and Splash tied for second.

I just love the part in Pirates where you ride between the ship and the fort, fighting going all around you! I always feel like I am in the middle of the action! :)

sdfilmcritic
10-04-2004, 12:16 PM
As of now I say Indy has the best theming. To me the theming starts before you even turn the corner to enter the queue line. Because of Jungle Cruise and Indy being neighbors the themes blend together so well on the outside. There's the whole campsite with the generator and the jungle for the exterior of the temple. Once you enter the front door you have this complete underground excavation site (with an Eeyore parking sign and everything). There is no stopping point between the queue line and the ride. It all blends seeminglessly together.

Well, I would like to throw Space Mountain into my answer as well, but it would be based solely on the old SM design, and not the new one. Since the new designed hasn't been introduced to the general public yet we will not know how well the theme is designed. I can't wait until next fall when it opens!

dlandnut
10-04-2004, 12:17 PM
I FORGOT to mention Peter Pan. One of my all-time favorites. You Can Fly!!! :)

iwannabeanimagineer
10-04-2004, 01:48 PM
As of now I say Indy has the best theming. To me the theming starts before you even turn the corner to enter the queue line. Because of Jungle Cruise and Indy being neighbors the themes blend together so well on the outside. There's the whole campsite with the generator and the jungle for the exterior of the temple. Once you enter the front door you have this complete underground excavation site (with an Eeyore parking sign and everything). There is no stopping point between the queue line and the ride. It all blends seeminglessly together.
sdfilmcritic always says what I want to say, only earlier. :rolleyes:

But I have a thing or two to add: Indy wins for me because of the immersive queue: the Mara texts, the convincing archeological dig details, the accurate 1930's-era technologies, the way the lights dim when the generator starts up, the 1930's-era music, the references to the Indy films, the re-created ancient southeast Asian art and architecture, the pre-board information film, the scary/funny interactive elements and the attraction's location deep in the heart of Adventureland. All these make it the most escapist, the most timeless and the most fun. Indiana Jones for President!

oh wait

SallySkellington
10-04-2004, 05:08 PM
My vote for best themeing is Haunted Mansion Holiday. As a Nightmare Before Christmas fanatic, I was thrilled with the amount of detail that went into that ride. I loved seeing the Halloweentown countdown clock, and Jack's sleigh with his "Christmas equation" outside. I loved that some of the changing portraits were scenes straight from the movie. I loved that they not only had Jack, Sally, the Mayor, and the other main characters, they had the lesser known characters, like the harlequin demon and the undersea gal.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention, with the exception of 2001, most of the music for the ride is written by Danny Elfman (the man who did the music in the movie), and the music written by him is a variation of the music from the movie!

LAsptsfan3
10-04-2004, 05:48 PM
pre-fastpass Star Tours was the best themed attraction, now its probably Tower of Terror

jediknight
10-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Indiana Jones and Star Tours.

Tutter
10-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Indiana Jones has great themeing and of course Pirates.

And Haunted Mansion. Oh and Star wars, oh and.....I think I should just stop before I name the entire park.

disneygalforlife
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Hands down winner . . .POTC - in no other place in Disneyland does a smell mean so much . . .