PDA

View Full Version : No parking CM's to assist cars to the correct space

Darkbeer
10-03-2004, 08:08 PM
OK, I stopped by the Disneyland Resort this afternoon to give some moral support to some friends for their walk for CHOC (Children's Hospital of Orange County) after getting some work done... I showed up at about 1:30, came from 5 South, used the Disneyland Drive exit.. First surprise, the Ball Street overpass bridge was set up for one lane in each direction... I have never seen that before, usually it is two lanes in either direction (into the park in the AM, leaving in the evening)...

Anyways, pulled into the structure.. showed my AP to the CM at the actual collection gate, then another CM pointed me towards the parking area (versus the Handicapped, oversized, or need to exit areas).. Why do I mention this... that was the LAST time I saw a parking CM!!!!!!

We went up the ramp to level 6, where the cones directed us to the rear, but after that, it was a FREE for ALL, not ONE CM was on level 6, park where you want to, nobody to direct traffic.. this was a first for me!

Gee, I know that Universal Studios Hollywood just raised their parking prices to $10 ($15 for preferred)... but come on, this is a major labor cutback....

A few photos from Sunday...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/240476

tikiboy
10-03-2004, 08:17 PM
When I was an AP 2-3 years ago, I'd go in the afternoon on the weekend and find the garage in the same labor condition(NONE!!). The flyover Ball though is new. But in my opinion, that whole flyover is one huge boondoggle.

DopeyWife
10-03-2004, 08:51 PM
My husband and I went in I think it was February of this year (might have been Valentine's day), and there were no parking CMs in the garage at all after the initial entrance ones. It was a very crowded day too, and the level they sent us to was pretty much full. It was a mass confusion of cars trying to park but didn't know where to go since no one was directing us and most of the spots were taken. Then a few people tried to go down the wrong way in the aisles to find open spots from people who had left. But I have never seen the bridge open to both ways of traffic.

adriennek
10-03-2004, 08:57 PM
We were there at 2, DB, and we saw ONE- he was at the end of the second row. He wasn't pointing, He was just standing there. It was actually quite a mess because there were many people coming and they were just parking where they wanted to- and driving where they wanted to!

We were walking down the aisle with our kids and cars were driving down completely full aisles looking for spots. I like being able to feel "safe" walking down the middle of an aisle that cars are not driving down if that makes sense.

We found it annoying and unsafe.

Adrienne

EandCDad
10-04-2004, 05:49 AM
Dang, how come this never happens when I'm parking! We went a week or so ago on a Friday afternoon and the parking team was out in full force, placing us in a row in the back section almost to the far wall. As we walked to the escalators, I saw numerous empty spaces in the rows I passed. I could easily have pulled into one of those without running over a family or crashing comically into another car. After all, I do it every day of my life at sporting events, the mall, work, etc., etc., etc.

AlohaJulie
10-04-2004, 06:54 AM
When I went Friday afternoon, no parking CM's! I got to find my own, up-close parking space, but on Saturday all the CM's were there, trying to get me to park near the back corner. It was actually much faster to park on Friday, when people weren't being told where to park. Saturday there were just as many cars, but it took twice the time.

adriennek
10-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Dang, how come this never happens when I'm parking! We went a week or so ago on a Friday afternoon and the parking team was out in full force, placing us in a row in the back section almost to the far wall.

You're going at the wrong time, EandC- all these people were trying to fill up the first two rows. Yup. People didn't want to park in the second row and kept driving up the first row looking for empty spots. Forget the back row. ;)

Adrienne

RStar
10-04-2004, 12:18 PM
I always figured that when I went and saw little or no CMs it was just the time I went (low incoming cars, breaks, ect.). I have seen both situations throught the year. But like EandC feel I'm quite able to park in an orderly manner, and have seen others who need the directions ;).....

sdfilmcritic
10-04-2004, 12:27 PM
I was expecting something like this to happen to the parking staff. Even during the summer season there weren't as many staff members as I would have expected. Things were very disorganized this year. In the past I had seen the staff direct cars to very specific parking spots in an organized fashion. Now over the summer I've seen cars skips parking spaces or keep on driving past where they should be parking, etc. I just hope the DL parking staff doesn't turn out to be how USH runs their parking lots. Oh, boy do I have problems with the way parking is handled at USH!

AaronInCal
10-04-2004, 02:57 PM
It's actually pretty common to not see parking CMs in the structure later in the day. To have it happen mid-day is odd, but no need to make a big deal about it unless it has happened several times..

Disneyfreak
10-04-2004, 03:08 PM
...We went up the ramp to level 6, where the cones directed us to the rear, but after that, it was a FREE for ALL, not ONE CM was on level 6, park where you want to, nobody to direct traffic.. this was a first for me!Darkbeer, if you dont know how to find a parking spot without help then I think you need help. I mean it isnt rocket science. If you ask me I dont think they are needed after a certain time. If they need the money because of all the refurbishments then I dont care.

sediment
10-04-2004, 03:19 PM
If the parking lot gets "full," i.e., the attendants have gone through a cycle of the lot, then it will be impossible to find open spots, as they're all over the place.
It's possible that on Sunday, even at that hour (afternoon), the parking lot had gone through a cycle due to the CHOC Walk.
I mean, it's not as if a CM can rearrange the cars as if they were strollers in front of IASW.

Also, it's the off-season (supposedly), and cars don't have to be directed in such an A/R style.

Hakuna Makarla
10-04-2004, 04:10 PM
...A few photos from Sunday...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/240476 Dark Beer
I really liked the photo's today, I love looking at all the scenes and these pages you posted today made my day!! Love DCA!