PDA

View Full Version : DL on a diet...

LilmissTinkerbell
10-02-2004, 07:16 AM
I'm going to Dl after the ChocWalk on Sunday. Problem is, I haven't been there since I started Wieght Watchers last month. Any weight savy people out there know where I can eat and not blow all my progress? Thanks!

GrumpyUTboi
10-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Lil,

Yea I can tell you, don't eat anything but veggies while you are there or you can be like me and forget WW and use all the flex points you want for the week. Boy a Pluto dog sure sounds good and oh yea the food at the Blue Bayou is sounding pretty good! (there is probably some food there that won't blow your WW)

got2travel
10-02-2004, 08:50 AM
I can't tell you how many points anything is since I didn't do weight watchers. But I can tell you my strategy when I go. I've lost 90lbs and counting and still manage to either lose or at least maintain when I go to DL. Breakfast, depending on where you stay, I usually chose a hotel that has a continental breakfast. A peice of wheat toast, with juice or fresh fruit. Then a cup of yogurt, either grab some at a minimart, or bring some with me if my hotel has a fridge. Mid morning, grab one of the veggie trays that many of the carts have. I can't remember the exact veggies, but usually carrots, celery, tomato or califlower and ranch dip. Lunch is a salad with dressing on the side, something with chicken so I get protein, ceaser or chines. Or a wrap sandwich I think they were in Tomorrowland. Afternoon, a peice of fruit, then dinner grilled chicken sandwich or salad again. At least once a trip I allow myself my all time DL favorite meal, Jambalaya at the French Market. I just don't eat all the rice.

The key is to keep a bottle of water with you so you can alway put something in your mouth. Sometimes I'll carry cold brew tea bags for instant ice tea, or crystal lite mix. The tap water really doesn't taste that great. Oh and for the fruit and veggies, sometimes I'll bring my own into the park with me. I know DL doesn't like you to bring in food, but as long as you are not bringing in whole meals, they've never said anything about the snacks I carry.

Good luck, just make smart choices and remember the things you have learned at WW. Each eatery usually has something that is more healthy than others, look for grilled instead of fried, wraps instead of burgers, snack on fruits and veggies instead of ice cream and popcorn. And if you really want something specific, go for it, just make adjustments to how much you eat the rest of the day. You'll be fine.

SCUBAbe
10-02-2004, 09:00 AM
keep in mind all the walking you'll be doing. That adds up to bonus points. I never gain weight at DL, but I always lose a few pounds. I don't go there for the food. I usually have a light breakfast, like a banana or yogurt. I'll have soup or a salad for lunch and most of he time I'm not hungry for dinner. If I am I'll get some fruit or a mint jeulip. For me eating is the last thing I want to do there. It's more of a waste of time for me and a PITA. There are to many other things I would rather be doing...LOL..on our last visit I had a side salad for lunch and loster nachos for dinner. (The nachos were gross, so most of them stayed on the plate...LOL)

biolabetty
10-02-2004, 02:31 PM
I like the barbecue chicken salad at the Hungry Bear. It has barbecue sauce in it so I didn't need to use the dressing that came with it. It was a pretty good size too, I couldn't finish it.

rentayenta
10-02-2004, 03:58 PM
I have been a Lifetime Weight Watcher since 1999. I am back on program due to baby weight that has yet to completely come off. I guess I should call it toddler weight now :crying:

You will be earning APs like crazy. Remember 20 minutes of brisk walking is 1 AP. Even if you aren't sweating you will be earning at least an AP per hour.

Go for grilled and stay away from the obvious cream based soups and dressings. If you must have soda, do diet. Pasta with red sauce is a no brainer. Pizza without meat toppings is a good choice too. I wouldn't even attempt to go ff the whole trip. Too much pressure.

A Mickey ice cream is 6 points.
Churros are 6 points.
A small scoop of real ice cream is 4 points.
If you drink any coffee drinks have them make them with ff milk and sf syrup if available.

I wouldn't go overboard either way. If you want a treat, have it and make sensible choices the rest of the day.

When I am at DL, I have to have a churro or popcorn with a real Coke. Guess what I have for breakfast or an early snack? It gives me plenty of time to burn it off.

Have fun!

wood_is_mine
10-02-2004, 04:53 PM
The salads at Pizza Port are HUGE and delicious! Or you could have a huge ice cream and count it as lunch. I do that sometimes.

Cariad
10-03-2004, 01:06 PM
I've been on an Atkins diet since May, and have lost 27 pounds... I am really hoping that steak and salads are freely available, as that will hopefully be my staple diet!! I really want to try not to stray too much, otherwise its a slippery slope back to cakesville and chocolatetown!

CoasterChickie
10-03-2004, 02:18 PM
If you are on Atkins, for breakfast you can get a really good egg and bacon and cheese burrito (just don't eat the tortilla) at the Whitewater Cafe. You can also get an omelette made to order and lots of bacon at Goofy's Kitchen. For lunch, I think there are a lot of good choices at the Bengal Barbecue. Also, you can get some good salads at the Plaza Inn. Taste Pilot's Grill also has good salads. For dinner, any of the nicer restaurants at the DLR have meat and vegetables. There are stands that sell fresh fruit throughout the park. If you eat well, but have only one treat a day I'm sure you'll stay the same or even lose weight since you'll be running all over the park. If you're worried that you've blown it, just head over to Club Buzz at night and dance off the calories!! :D

DISNEYloon
10-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Don't know about you but when on VACATION, there is no such thing as 'DIETS' LOL.........but then again if I could go to DLR anytime I wanted, then I'd have to stick to mine!
:fez:

I Heart Disneyland!
10-03-2004, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't think that the chicken skewers at Bengal BBQ would be too off limits, it's all white meat, but, does have a sweet & sour sauce over the top. (They also have beef skewers.) I eat it every time I am there! :) You WILL be walking and earning those extra points too, like someone else mentioned! ;) Enjoy and drink diet drinks, lots of water, and splurge on some things you have to have....for me it's the caramel apples at Candy Palace!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!

tstan70
10-08-2004, 05:52 AM
OH THE HORROR!!! DISNEYLAND ON A DIET IS SO WRONG!!! ;)

Here's a suggestion - eat what you want at Disneyland, but don't eat too much. Walking several miles in a day at DL will help keep all the calories in check. Finish the day off with a 20-30 minute workout at the hotel gym or get a program that you can do in the hotel room (use bands or even some yoga) or swim some laps in the pool. That way you can at least try some of your favorite DL goodies and not gain 10 pounds on the trip

PsychDoc
10-08-2004, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=rentayenta]I have been a Lifetime Weight Watcher since 1999. I am back on program due to baby weight that has yet to completely come off. I guess I should call it toddler weight now :crying:

I know what you mean. Very depressing. I lost 60-70 pounds before I had my "baby" (she'll be 2 in November). I seem to be gaining weight. Ugh!! I do agree that you can make smarter choices in DL. When we go to Blue Bayou I always order the chicken salad. Pizza port has huge and wonderful salads. But part of the the whole DL experience is the food. Sorry, just true (at least for me--probally why I still have "toddler weight"). I choose to eat at least one churro and one box of popcorn (both shared with my 11 year old).

LilmissTinkerbell
10-08-2004, 07:33 AM
Thanks for all your help. All and all I did pretty good when I went. I made good choices, but still spurged a little ( I love jelly bellies so ate those, and a churro). And when it came down to it, I stil lost wieght this week. Now when I go, I don't have to be scared of all the food, I know I just have to eat one thing I really want, and make smarter choices the rest of the day. And the best part was, I didn't feel cheated at all, in fact I felt better at the end of the day because I didn't have that oh my gosh I ate to much stomache. :)

Hakuna Makarla
10-08-2004, 07:57 AM
See, people worry about gaining weight when acually they tend to maintain or lose! eat what you want, so its goodies, you can walk it off ( mostly you will) and you will not feel deprived! I ate like crazy, and loved it! but when I came home I was the same weight. I lost I believe 80 pounds between March 5th and August 24th so I could do well on my trip ! So gaining for me was scary, but I did not want to deprive my self, and so I splurged. The reason I did as I could not find bengals, or other places so I just munched off carts a lot. I gained 15 pounds when I got backas I took September and 5 days in October off :eek: Thank goodness I am back on and doing well, after all I must lose another 70 pounds or so for my next trip in March :D