PDA

View Full Version : I love my mom!

Christiii
10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
She just got back from an Estate sale and found a book called Walt's Guode to Disneyland from Merlins Magic shjoppe in DL from 1959.
It is just amazing to see the old park..wow!! i collect vintage disneyland things, and this is in such amazing condition!! I didnt know they used to have a candle shop on main street??!!
All the trees and greenery looks so small and young..this book is really amazing!
thanks mommy!! :D

kisroo
10-01-2004, 01:31 PM
May my color speak for itself!! :)

Way to go Christiii's mom!!

Christiii
10-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Its really amazing to see the old things..I mean the really old ones....I never knew they had wagon train rides...it really looks like a vast prarie land too..cant figure pout where it was...they calso list some coming attractions: The Haunted Mansion, Liberty Street, Edison Square and Adventures in Science.
I reaaaallly miss the old tommorowland too..I forgot how much!! They called it Tommorowland, the world of 1987 :D The matterhorn and the subs were the newest thing for this book
The entrances to Frontierland and Adventureland look remarkably the smae..which is great!!!
I have a big DL map/guide from 1968 which shows the HM as coming soon, but I dont have anything this old..except my 1933 original mint cond. Mickey watch,..gosh I love ebay!!! :fez:

rentayenta
10-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Very cool. I wish I could find all the old tapes of our family at DL when I was a child.

Yeah for Christiii's mom :D

Susan L
10-01-2004, 03:01 PM
You are a special girl, and your mom, what's not to love. If I remember right there use to be a covered wagon ride around by the old Indian Village, which would be CC now. All I can remember about it is being on it, I think I was around 4 so, that would have been 1961. The canyon ride, that was right where BTMRR is now. And yes, TL was very cool when I was a kid.

Tigertail777
10-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Christiii the wagon ride, the natures wonderland train ride, and the pack mules were all in pretty much in the exact same spot Big Thunder is in now, just slightly more spread out. The map guide sounds very cool, and as I understand it, "collectables" from Merlins Magic Shoppe are getting increasingly harder to find. Some of the early Haunted Mansion tie ins are from that shop, such as the "Haunted Mansion Magic Tricks" book. OK now I have rambled enough. :D

Christiii
10-01-2004, 04:10 PM
well from ths guide there looks like there was a railroad ride, that goes thru the town that is thundermountain now...the town looks just the same!! The old train ride also looks like it went in to caverns that look like part of the thundermountain ride too...the covered wagons looked really pretty realistic!! Ill bet for kids it really did look like an old west area at that time..the decor and souveniers looked more like real pieces than they do now...I just love all the vintage Disney things..I could just stair at Walt's office in the Lincoln shpw for ever!! Im such a dork :p

disneyperson
10-01-2004, 04:33 PM
we are all dorks here. I have a copy of that same book (nabbed at a yard sale for 50 cents!) It's very cool. I'm so glad yours found it's way to someone who will treasure it. yay for your mom.

D-lander 1956
10-01-2004, 06:05 PM
well from ths guide there looks like there was a railroad ride, that goes thru the town that is thundermountain now...the town looks just the same!! The old train ride also looks like it went in to caverns that look like part of the thundermountain ride too...the covered wagons looked really pretty realistic!! Ill bet for kids it really did look like an old west area at that time..the decor and souveniers looked more like real pieces than they do now...I just love all the vintage Disney things..I could just stair at Walt's office in the Lincoln shpw for ever!! Im such a dork :p

My husband and I both grew up near DL and remember it from day one. I remember all the things you have mentioned and get very nostaligic for "the old stuff" My hubby has a collection of the big fold out maps-it is so fun to drag them out once in a while just to remember the long lost fun. I'm sure they have got to be worth quite a bit and are in very good shape. Does your book show photos of the mule rides near the covered wagons? No one ever seems to remember the mules. I could go on forever about the "old DL".

Oh and to Christiii Mom-SCORE! Can you please find me a book too! :D

Christiii
10-01-2004, 07:33 PM
yep...it even has a close up pic of one of the mules...and she shoooo is a purdy one :D