PDA

View Full Version : How much walking?

Pages : [1] 2

MouseWife
11-23-2001, 01:08 PM
I am going to be going to Disneyland soon. I am wondering, who knows how many miles are racked up walking all over Disneyland, over through Downtown Disney, through the resort and back to the shuttle busses?

I will be doing this 2 days, along with a day to Knott's and a day to Universal.

Any tips on shortcuts? Any special shuttles?

My husband has put the family 'in training' and we are walking daily now.

HELP!!!

Matterhorn Fan
11-23-2001, 02:04 PM
I don't know how many miles you could walk in a day there (nor do I want to, since I have a tendency to criss-cross waaaaay too much). To cut down on the walking, you can try not to park hop too much (you don't realize how much space the parks take up until you walk from Toontown to Paradise Pier) and do one land at a time (hard but possible). Also, the monorail can be useful (between Tomorrowland and DTD), as can the DL Railroad (Main Street, NOS, Toontown, Tomorrowland).

Wear good shoes.

MouseWife
11-23-2001, 02:29 PM
Thanks, that is a great idea. To do one 'land' at a time. I only hope that my family goes for this!!!! And to end the day on Main Street for the parade? I think I will put it to them that way. And, those brave enough {young and healthy enough?} can go back in and continue to run around!!!

I think I will sit down and plan with the family. Including using the train. I am not getting any younger and my knees are starting to have a crick in them.

Oh, don't I sound attractive?

zapppop
11-23-2001, 09:16 PM
How much walking do you normally do ?

I walk from my apartment to Fashion Island and back
which is about a 7 or 8 mile walk. I'm used to it.

Nigel2
11-23-2001, 10:23 PM
Every time I go there (at least weakly) I walk to the front gate from the parking structure and back at the end (approx 1/2 mile each way, well thats what the sign says) so DTD is probably a little less than a half mile, and I usually walk from the back of toon town to Paradise pier since it is a fun thing to do when it isn't too hot wathing all the lands change, but when its hot out avoid the walk of miricles its like walking on fire when its noon and boiling out.

Napsto
11-23-2001, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Every time I go there (at least weakly) I walk to the front gate from the parking structure and back at the end (approx 1/2 mile each way, well thats what the sign says) so DTD is probably a little less than a half mile, and I usually walk from the back of toon town to Paradise pier since it is a fun thing to do when it isn't too hot wathing all the lands change, but when its hot out avoid the walk of miricles its like walking on fire when its noon and boiling out.

i have ben meaning to do that wlak

Nigel2
11-23-2001, 11:04 PM
Just don't do it when its hot, a friend of mine made that mistake and was totally soaked. Oh could you imagine doing that during the most humid and the hotest day of the year at WDW? Geeze, I walked from one end of DTD (market place) to the west side (I took the longer way avoiding pleasure island since it was nightime) and I was soaked from the humidity

Matterhorn Fan
11-24-2001, 06:15 AM
MouseWife: I find that it's not so much the distance you have to walk at DL that's the problem, it's the being on your feet all day part. Be sure to see the shows and do some of the "sit-down" stuff (at DL there's a show at the FL theater, and you *have* to see Billy Hill; there's also long rides like Pirates and Small World). Don't underestimate the power of a couple hours spent sitting around in your hotel room in the afternnon, either.

Are you going to DCA as well?

MouseWife
11-24-2001, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all of the input!

{Let's see if I can get it straight here without them to refer to!}

Well, on a usual day I don't walk too much. In 'training' I am doing 3 miles a day. Talking all the way! That is good for training, isn't it? :)

What is Billy Hill?

That is good to know, 1/2 mile isn't so scary!

I think I will most definitely take advantage of shows and sit down times. We do have a hotel but I am not sure how it will do,
I am hoping to use the shuttle. I am hoping they are prompt and don't waste my precious time. :)

We are also doing DCA, but on an alternate day. Either before or after, depending on early entry. {Monday the 10th & the 11th}.
But, from what I hear from everyone about DCA on it's own, it isn't that big? Maybe I should plan to go and explore on THAT day, do all of the resort walking and Downtown Disney on that day and save my feet for an all day at Disneyland?

I haven't been to Downtown Disney, is it worth window shopping? Has anyone been to the resorts, have they kept up with their schedule as last year: tree lighting ceremony, fantasy waters, santa, storytelling? That is why I want to go there.

And, if you have any other tips for any shows at Disneyland or DCA let me know! Oh, and has anyone been to Universal? Did they do anything special for Christmas? My son insists we go . He said it is an odd number year and it is time. He is 7. What are they teaching him in school?!

Thanks peoples!

Not Afraid
11-24-2001, 10:30 AM
Chris and I have both been loosing tons of weight since we bought our APs this year. We go at least once a week and have jokingly started calling our visits the "Disneyland Exercise Program" We have even talked about writing an exercise book;) .

Last week, a co-worker of Chris' loaned us a pedometer to take to DL. We did a very short and simple trip with most of our time spent at DCA. We only went on 3 rides. We started the pedometer at the parking garage and took a reading when we got home. We clocked 4 miles!

I'm sure that we usually walk much further than that. Keep in mind it is 1/4 mile to Indy and 1/4 mile back. Ride 2x and you've got a mile.

My advice is to wear comfortable shoes and take intermediate rests. I've even laid down on a bench near Thunder Mt. to stretch (I have a really bad back). Somehow, walking at DL is much less tiring to me then going to a museum where there's more standing than walking. The walking/standing ration is much greater at DL.

And its a great fun way to work out :)

MouseWife
11-24-2001, 10:38 AM
NotAfraid~

Wow, I wish I had such a place to walk!!! I have to either walk at the school, 4 laps=1 mile. The park, 3 miles around. Or my neighborhood, steep hills and stinky traffic.

Oh my gosh! That is a lot of walking! I think I will most definitely have to keep up with my 'training'!!!

My husband hopes that this 'training' will help me to join him on a hike up to Glacier Point in the Yosemite Valley.

Yeah, right! At least at Disneyland the rattlers and bears aren't real! :eek:

They do have a nice coffee stand in Curry Village, though. People watching is good. ;)

Well, when you guys are out there walking and dropping those pounds, think of me. Maybe it will help me. :D

Not Afraid
11-24-2001, 10:52 AM
That Glacier Point hike is a doozie! You know you can drive up there:cool: . I don't do hills very well. I can barely do the "mist trail" and I'd never be able to do half dome. I don't think all of my DL training would help much in that regard.

When are you going to Yosemite? My brother lives in Oakhurst (10 miles from the park gate) so I'm there all the time. Its like a second home for me.

Nigel2
11-24-2001, 11:49 AM
Speaking of training, when we went to WDW walking arround all day was a brezee for me since I have walked disneyland so much, the only thing was the humidity was bad so I was drenched (also the rain did that too) but I wasn't that tired when I got back to my room.

Matterhorn Fan
11-24-2001, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife
What is Billy Hill?
It's a great show at the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland. Some days they have Billy Hill and the Hillbillies there and other days it's the Variety Show (also good). It's a sit-down, and you can get lunch at the counter inside.

We do have a hotel but I am not sure how it will do,
I am hoping to use the shuttle. I am hoping they are prompt and don't waste my precious time. :)
I'm assuming you're staying off-property. You should know that the hotels share the shuttles (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so they won't go straight from your hotel parking lot to the parks. I usually prefer to walk; I think it can be faster, depending on how far away your hotel is. There are a number of hotels that I wouldn't walk to, but I usually stay pretty close. Ask for shuttle schedules when you check in.

We are also doing DCA, but on an alternate day. Either before or after, depending on early entry. {Monday the 10th & the 11th}.
But, from what I hear from everyone about DCA on it's own, it isn't that big? Maybe I should plan to go and explore on THAT day, do all of the resort walking and Downtown Disney on that day and save my feet for an all day at Disneyland?

I haven't been to Downtown Disney, is it worth window shopping?
DCA isn't that big. Depending on the age, height, and braveness of your kid/s, there may not be a whole day's worth of stuff to do. Exploring DTD (and perhaps even the hotels) on the same day is a good idea. Yes, it's worth window shopping a bit in DTD. You have to walk by it all to get to the Disneyland Hotel anyways.

Has anyone been to the resorts, have they kept up with their schedule as last year: tree lighting ceremony, fantasy waters, santa, storytelling? That is why I want to go there.
Can someone else answer this? I haven't spent much time at the hotels.

And, if you have any other tips for any shows at Disneyland or DCA let me know! Oh, and has anyone been to Universal? Did they do anything special for Christmas? My son insists we go . He said it is an odd number year and it is time. He is 7. What are they teaching him in school?!

Thanks peoples!
Disneyland's Website (http://www.disneyland.com) has show and refurbishment schedules. I've been to Universal, but I don't know much about it (I'm not a fan, but a lot of people love it).

MouseWife
11-24-2001, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
That Glacier Point hike is a doozie! You know you can drive up there:cool: . I don't do hills very well. I can barely do the "mist trail" and I'd never be able to do half dome. I don't think all of my DL training would help much in that regard.

When are you going to Yosemite? My brother lives in Oakhurst (10 miles from the park gate) so I'm there all the time. Its like a second home for me.

Wow, I haven't done the Mist Trail. I just walk around, the flat valley. I really love the shuttle, though. We like to get on and ride it at night.

We are going in June. We are going to stay in Oakhurst, I think. The Best Western there. We usually stay in Fresno, as our stop for the first days drive but I thought we would stay there and check it out. We always just drive through and never get to see anything.

Oh, so now I can envy your AP's AND your ability to go to Yosemite frequently?:)

These are two of my most favorite places in CA.

MouseWife
11-24-2001, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
It's a great show at the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland.I think I will check this out!!!

I'm assuming you're staying off-property.

Yes, we are staying at the Embassy Suites. Why, those cheapskates!! If we do have to wait for that crowded bus we will probably walk instead or just drive.

DCA isn't that big. Depending on the age, height, and braveness of your kid/s, there may not be a whole day's worth of stuff to do.

Well, it is more MY BRAVENESS. So, I guess it will go by quickly.

Can someone else answer this? I haven't spent much time at the hotels.

Well, thank YOU so much for all of your help!

[vBcode fixed on quoted material. -- Lani]

Ace
11-24-2001, 01:01 PM
does the indy line count as 1/4 mile if you skip all the back and forth stuff? I don't think I've ever waited in ALL of the back and forth.

MouseWife
11-24-2001, 01:15 PM
Oh Squinky,

I forgot about all of the back and forth stuff!!!!!

Gemini Cricket
11-24-2001, 01:19 PM
When I go to DL I feel like a get a pretty good work out. It's not until I get home that I realize how long I've been on my feet, how many hours were spent in the sun and how exhausted I am. But it's the best place to get some exercise.
:)

dsnyredhead
11-24-2001, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad
When I go to DL I feel like a get a pretty good work out. It's not until I get home that I realize how long I've been on my feet, how many hours were spent in the sun and how exhausted I am. But it's the best place to get some exercise.

I agree. A year and a half ago, I was going to DL alot before my wedding just to get some good exercise.

I used to go over after work just to walk for an hour. It is cheaper than a health club and has the benefit that after your workout, you can go ride attractions. :) I don't get over there as often now, as I live further away and have a medical condition has hindered my ability to walk for any long duration. But I do agree you can get alot of walking in at DL.

Not Afraid
11-24-2001, 03:24 PM

We are going in June. We are going to stay in Oakhurst, I think. The Best Western there.

Oh, so now I can envy your AP's AND your ability to go to Yosemite frequently?:)

These are two of my most favorite places in CA.

They are some of the best places in CA!

Before you go in June I can give you some tips for the area. There's a 5-star restaurant in Oakhurst (Erna's) that is so worth the $100 a plate and there's lots of great little hikes or picnic areas. There's really a lot to do for such a little town both expensive and value minded.

Should I tell you that my sister has costal property in a little town called Gualala, south of Mendicino? I love to travel and lucked out by having wandering siblings. But, before you envy, keep in mind that we both have to brave the LA traffic.

MouseWife
11-24-2001, 04:43 PM
Wow, aren't YOU lucky!

I could use some tips on some ~budget minded~ dining and activities. We will only be there the one afternoon, evening, and then leave in the morning after breakfast and head into the Valley. We are staying in Curry Village. Thank my lucky stars, in a cabin WITH a bath.

Eh, I can still envy you! Not only do you live near Disneyland, but your siblings live in fanstastic places to visit!!!! Plus, they are not a 'Hi, just thought I'd drop by' distance away.

Oh, I may sound like an ogre but I am the youngest of nine and sometimes I so wish I could live up in the mountains!

I do so enjoy chatting with you!

MouseWife
11-24-2001, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

See, that is my problem! I don't have a great place to walk! I can't to the mall- too many eateries {calories} and too many shops {more expensive than joining a gym}.

Not Afraid
11-25-2001, 11:22 AM
Wow, aren't YOU lucky!

I could use some tips on some ~budget minded~ dining and activities. We will only be there the one afternoon, evening, and then leave in the morning after breakfast and head into the Valley. We are staying in Curry Village. Thank my lucky stars, in a cabin WITH a bath.

Eh, I can still envy you! Not only do you live near Disneyland, but your siblings live in fanstastic places to visit!!!! Plus, they are not a 'Hi, just thought I'd drop by' distance away.

Oh, I may sound like an ogre but I am the youngest of nine and sometimes I so wish I could live up in the mountains!

I do so enjoy chatting with you!

I'd be more than happy to share Yosemite/Oakhurst tips before you go. Maybe we can start another thread or you can PM me. Also, when you you going to DL? Maybe we can have a Mocha while you're there.

MouseWife
11-25-2001, 11:30 AM
Not Afraid~

We are supposed to be up there for three nights. But, at Disneyland on the 11th. Ummm, mocha sounds great!:)
DCA the 10th. Let me know when it gets closer to the date
if you might be there.

Would appreciate any tips on travelling. I like to surprise the family by making them think I am smooth with the plans. :cool:

MouseWife