PDA

View Full Version : Which rides are better at night?

Pages : [1] 2

bduff
09-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Just back from 5 days at DLR!! Stayed at GCH, was fantasic. If I get organized, will post a trip report. Have a bunch of observations that may make good threads, let me start with this one:

Which rides to you like better after it's dark outside? We liked BTMRR. Can't comment on DCA - it was only open as late as 8:00 while we were there, and on those days we were getting into position for the electrical parade rather than doing rides.

mystycalchyk
09-30-2004, 11:18 AM
I enjoy the Storybook Canal Boats in the twilight hours. And I like The Jungle Cruise at night. At DCA I like the Sunwheel at night (we hit it perfect once where we were able to watch the fireworks from Disneyland while at the top :fez: . <--- and yes, we only ride in the 'red' cars; no Slidey cars for us :( , they scare me .

Andrew
09-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Matterhorn and Splash are great at night, especially warm summer nights where it's okay to get a little wet. If you get on Splash when Fantasmic starts, you might get the timing to go over the big drop during the finale fireworks--I've done that a few times, and the view is great.

Dumbo and Astro-Orbitor are good after midnight.

iaswH is only ever done after dark, to experience the full effect of the lights.

Emma
09-30-2004, 11:22 AM
It's a Small World, and the Matterhorn are both better at night....

But the BEST improvement when it gets dark (I think) Is Thunder Mountain Railroad (make sure you sit in the back!)

David R
09-30-2004, 11:24 AM
We only ride the Matterhorn at night.

Niwel
09-30-2004, 11:45 AM
But the BEST improvement when it gets dark (I think) Is Thunder Mountain Railroad (make sure you sit in the back!)

Totally!!!!

Other night faves:
Casey Jr. (for a romantic take, sit in the caboose).
California Screamin
Sun Wheel
Maliboomer
DLRR
Carrousel
TOT (harder to tell what's coming without sunlight in the elevator shaft)
Some people say Haunted Mansion at night is "scarier," but since it is inside it really doesn't make that big a difference. However, at night it takes less time for your eyes to adjust to the darkness, so the attraction might look clearer -- same with Pirates and the Fantasyland dark rides.

slydini
09-30-2004, 11:45 AM
BTMRR is great at night. My favorite night ride is ToT in DCA. If you can ride it when it's dark, when you get to the top seeing everything lit up is a joy to behold.

HorizonsA
09-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Matterhorn is so much better at night. Because it is darker the sense of motion is increased and so it seems as thought you are going really fast, plus the glowing lights inside the mountain make it look eerie.

Thunder Mountain is also great at night; the dark tunnels and stuff.

I've always wanted to ride Tower of Terror at night. It makes the story more effective. It'd be great to ride ToT during a thunder storm, now that would make the story more effective! :~D

dlandnut
09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
What about the Monorail at night, from the Downtown Disney location. Quite fun to ride into Disneyland, past the front gates where "weary" people are leaving Disneyland and pushing carts with balloons, sleeping children worn out from the day. Fun to enter Tomorrowland on the Monorail, wind your way around the Matterhorn, all at night. A new magic. I hopefully do this after I've been in the park most of the day, returned to the room for a nap, and am refreshed for the evening (perfect world, I know). :)

SallySkellington
09-30-2004, 01:11 PM
The Haunted Mansion (both versions) are better at night. I especially like HMH at night because its got those purple lights shining on it (does HM have those, too?). Niwel, I do think it looks clearer when your eyes don't have to adjust. And it's cool since the outdoors is about the same light level as the ride, I think the ride aura stays with you longer. :)

sami869
09-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Personally I think all rides are better at night. The atmosphere is so different. I'm thrilled to discover that the park will be open until midnight when I'm there next week. The best days I've had at disneyland I didn't get into the park until after 5.
My favorite rides at night are:
Splash
California Screamin
Grizzle river thing
Thunder mt.

sleepyjeff
09-30-2004, 02:30 PM
All of the Fantasyland Dark rides are better at night....why? Because when the too short of a ride ends you must disembark into bright sunlight durring the day, but at night the magic kind of continues with the darkness still there :)

Mickeyslittlehelper
09-30-2004, 02:39 PM
I agree sami869
Personally I think all rides are better at night. and with sleepyjeff
you must disembark into bright sunlight durring the day, but at night the magic kind of continues with the darkness still there . I really like POTC and HM and night, even though they are indoors. Matterhorn is a must.

GrumpyUTboi
09-30-2004, 02:47 PM
You all know what I am going to say.

HISTA

It is great morning, day or night! I think that the greatest draw to the attraction is the glasses!

SallySkellington
09-30-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm thrilled to discover that the park will be open until midnight when I'm there next week.

I know the feeling, it'll be open till midnight the weekend I'm there. I can just see myself dragging my mom around till midnight. :p

shaydie
09-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I really like Flik's Flyers at night. During the day it's sort of boring, but at night I think it's sooo pretty. :cool:

splashmtngurl
09-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Screamin is a great one to ride at night, it increases the suspense.

Others:

storybook boats
jungle cruise
BTMMR
splash
matterhorn
maliboomer
astro orbiter
dumbo

i also like to ride TOT and the monarail at night but they are just as good during the day!

Susan L
09-30-2004, 05:45 PM
I like all the rides at night. :D

jrsharp21
09-30-2004, 06:39 PM
The HMH is great when they have the fog machines on near the pumpkins in the que.

I agree that all rides at Disneyland are better at night.

sdfilmcritic
09-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Matterhorn and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

DISNEYloon
10-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Matterhorn FOR SURE! I always make sure I ride that at night!

...I just LOVE the park at night.........the twinkeling lights, etc....

disneyperson
10-01-2004, 12:42 PM
I love DL at night. Make sure to save the bobsleds, the HM, Big Thunder, Story book Boats, and Casey Jr. for after dark if you can. The best part about going to DL in Dec. is that it gets dark earlier and the lights are amazing! There's just that little touch of extra magic after dark... Oh yeah, the fireworks and fantasmic are better at night.

cheshire cat
10-01-2004, 01:16 PM
I love Big Thunder Mountain RR at night!!! It's even cool riding it with the fireworks going off. Other attractions I like to ride at night are Jungle Cruise, Storybook Land Canal Boats (its cute with all the little lights on), the Matterhorn, and of course the Haunted Mansion (night makes it creepy and the grave yard scene correct). The atmosphere definately changes around Disneyland once night falls.

kisroo
10-01-2004, 01:36 PM
TOWER OF TERROR!!!

Splash
Matterhorn
BTMR
HMH

Of course, just being at DLR would be great right now, day or night!

~kisroo:)

disneyperson
10-01-2004, 02:04 PM
TOWER OF TERROR!!!

Splash
Matterhorn
BTMR
HMH

Of course, just being at DLR would be great right now, day or night!

~kisroo:)
Haven't been able to ride TOT at night yet because DCA closed so early during the summer. I'm looking forward to the view from the top in December.