PDA

View Full Version : California Sales Tax

LKSearcy
11-22-2001, 08:10 PM
How much is the sales :confused: tax? What gets taxed besides merchandise? Alaska doesn't have any sales tax. :D

bluepearl
11-22-2001, 08:20 PM
I'm not an expert on this, but I believe in L.A. county, the tax is 8%. There are some places - like the Inland Empire - where tax is 7.75%. And in Anaheim, I believe the tax is 7.75%. I don't believe that candy is taxed - but that's only an assumption because when I worked in a retail shop, we never charged tax on candy.

AIRLINE
11-22-2001, 08:23 PM
In Orange County, the sales tax is 7.5 % on just about everything, except for most food sold in grocery stores (carbonated soda is taxed) and prescription medicine.

We expect the sales tax rate is going back-up to 7.75 % January 1, 2002, now that the state of California's tax revenues have dramatically dropped from year ago levels.

Newspapers, books and magazines are also taxed.

zapppop
11-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Orange County is 7.75% and elsewhere it's 8.25%.

Something like that.

tinkfreak
11-22-2001, 09:55 PM
Sales tax in Anaheim is actually 7.50% right now. Yes, we do charge tax on candy, at least at DL and DCA.

People that come in and say (seriously) "I'm from Oregon, so I don't pay tax" need to go back to Oregon. If I took a trip to Oregon, when I paid for stuff I wouldn't say "I'm from CA, please charge me tax", would I??????

Nigel2
11-22-2001, 10:11 PM
I remember that for a while disneyland had special items that had the tax already factored in to them, I think it had to do more with the fact that a bunch of people were going to buy them and making change could be a lesser hassle if its a whole dollar ammount.

EandCDad
11-23-2001, 05:50 AM
Looking at my receipts from the Candy Palace on main street in DL I learn three things:

1. Candy is a rip-off at the Candy Palace on Main Street

2. The sales tax is charged

3. It is 7.5%

I also have a Redd Rocket Pizza Port receipt and they charged 7.5% tax on the meal and the World of Disney store charged 7.5% tax on a gift we bought for our daughter. They may factor in the tax when you buy stuff from a cart. That is, they may sell popcorn for $3.75 including the tax. ODV people may be able to verify.

Alex S.
11-23-2001, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by tinkfreak
"I'm from Oregon, so I don't pay tax" need to go back to Oregon.

I always assumed this was true everywhere but it may not be. In Washington state, if you are a resident of a state that does not have a sales tax, then you do not need to pay sales tax on purchases while in Washington.

Also in Washington, you are technically supposed to pay taxes to the state even if you purchase the item out of state. So, if you go to Oregon and buy a washing machine, you are supposed to send the Washington sales tax on that to Olympia. Nobody does this, though; in fact, there would always be the occasional news story about somebody actually doing it and the government not knowing what to do with the check. (They will get you on cars, though. If you buy a car out of state and then register it in Washington, they will charge you sales tax at that time.)

AIRLINE
11-23-2001, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by LKSearcy
How much is the sales :confused: tax? What gets taxed besides merchandise? Alaska doesn't have any sales tax. :D

Also, being from Alaska, you have much lower state taxes on gasoline, ours runs 18c a gallon, plus sales tax is added on top of that (the cost of gas, federal tax and state tax) at a rate of 7.5%.

However, in the Anaheim area, you can find Unleaded Regular 87 Octane at $1.059 per gallon....not bad considering that about a third of the price of a gallon of gas is tax.

Clarifying the tax on food, you will be charged tax if the food is considered for immediate consumption (food in a restaurant, take-out, etc.), while food that requires preparation or where the California State Board of Equalization has determined that the item is not taxable...you wont.

Most forms of labor are tax-free (doctor, dentist, mechanic), also California does not charge sales tax on dry cleaning or delivery services.

With the exception of food that is purchased with the intent of consuming it at a later time, virtually everything in California is taxable.

As some have mentioned on this board, each county has a different sales tax. Orange County has a 7% rate, plus an added .5% Measure M sales tax that helps to pay for infrastructure improvements to Orange County's transportation system (streets, highways, freeways, bike lanes, buses and trains)

The street and interstate highway interchange improvements surrounding the Disneyland Resort were paid for with funds from Measure M.

The improvements to roads, bridges, over and under-passes and carpool lanes were sorely needed in the Disneyland Resort area.

Los Angeles County has established a sales tax rate of 8%.

If you're staying at a hotel within the city of Anaheim, the tax rate is 15%. However, if you're stay is 30 or more consecutive days in the same hotel, tax is not charged.

If you haven't been here in some time, you will appreciate the changes.....so...while you're here...spend as much money as possible on taxable items...so we can have more money to spend for our infrastructure!

FEJ
11-23-2001, 11:00 AM
People that come in and say (seriously) "I'm from Oregon, so I don't pay tax" need to go back to Oregon. If I took a trip to Oregon, when I paid for stuff I wouldn't say "I'm from CA, please charge me tax", would I??????

People in oregon are not allowed to pump there own gas either. (no tax, cant pump gas...hmmmm.. but no Disneyland)

Napsto
11-23-2001, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Looking at my receipts from the Candy Palace on main street in DL I learn three things:

1. Candy is a rip-off at the Candy Palace on Main Street

2. The sales tax is charged

3. It is 7.5%

I also have a Redd Rocket Pizza Port receipt and they charged 7.5% tax on the meal and the World of Disney store charged 7.5% tax on a gift we bought for our daughter. They may factor in the tax when you buy stuff from a cart. That is, they may sell popcorn for $3.75 including the tax. ODV people may be able to verify.

lol

Nigel2
11-23-2001, 10:05 PM
Speaking of tax for all of you traveling to other countries rember whatever you buy do not use it or take the tags off since all intl airports have booths in them so people that don't live in the country can get their money back for the sales tax, I have done this in norway and man that gave me like 50 dollars back, they have really high taxes there (for good reason) btw.

Lani
11-28-2001, 04:13 PM
People that come in and say (seriously) "I'm from Oregon, so I don't pay tax" need to go back to Oregon.We drove up through Oregon recently and while there, I purchased two WDW park-hopper passes at a Disney Store. Doing so saved me over $30 in sales tax I would have had to pay in California or Florida, and to a certain extent, it was as good as getting a really good sale or coupon for the passes. :D

Ghoulish Delight
11-28-2001, 04:31 PM
If you're ever at a Subway in California (a sandwich shop chain, if anyone doesn't know what they are), always say you're getting it to go. They won't charge tax. The best I can figure is that because they are selling fresh vegetables and such, they fall under the grocery laws that AIRLINE was talking about and that they can only charge tax if they are providing the service of being a restaurant (i.e., not getting it to go). I guess it makes sense. Everything they use, fresh bread, vegetables, and deli meats, are things that are not taxed at grocery stores here.

Nigel2
11-28-2001, 09:19 PM
Also Honeybaked doesn't charge tax for their sandwiches, but its not like you can get it for dine in there.:)

zapppop
11-28-2001, 09:22 PM
I hate taxes. There's too many.
I'm glad I didn't file on April 15ht.

Nigel2
11-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Forewarding to the IRS :D Now how tall are you so they can get the right set of chains for the wall.:D