PDA

View Full Version : BLAST!--First Show Review

AIRLINE
11-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Had the opportunity to sneak out-of-the-house for a couple of hours and hopped over to DCA and in to see the 1:45 p.m performance of BLAST!

Before allowing guests to enter, the queue outside was very full, in fact, I haven't seen it this full since DCA has opened! Furthermore, I haven't seen this side of DCA this full of people since the park first opened! (not counting preview days)

I noticed that several guests standing in line near where I was standing had "tickets" for the opening day of BLAST!

I'm not sure if they were handed to the guest as they entered the turnstiles of DCA, or were handed to them while inside the park. I did not receive one when entering the park and I arrived at 1:15 p.m. So, this could have been to build excitement and encourage guests to attend the 1:45 p.m. show.

Cast members began to let guests into the Hyperion Theater at 1:30 p.m.

I sat on the orchestra level, two rows directly in front of the control booth. (The two rows in front of the control booth were "roped off" and I observed cast members moving guests out of those rows at least once.) I assume it's because of the "noise" factor if guests are talking, those in the control booth may be distracted by the chatter.

From where I was sitting, every seat within the orchestra section was packed to the gills...I have never seen this theater so packed before! I could not see how many people were in the upper sections, as I was too far back within the orchestra section.

The show started at about 1:50 p.m. and ended about 2:25 p.m.

I'll let others on this board describe in details the instruments used (I'm only familiar with the instruments inside an airplane cockpit...hehe), but as others have described in earlier post about BLAST!, it was a combination of Cirque du Soleli and observing some of the performers using their drumsticks as if they were working at Benihana and preparing teppanyaki!

Feel free to explain the different sets. I think I counted at least 11 sets, but...some changed so fast, I lost count!

The cast of BLAST! kept the audience excited and in suspense, just waiting for what was going to happen next.

Many times throughout the show, the stage transitioned from total darkness one moment and then becoming all lit-up.

Toward the end of the show, a few of the performers came near my row and began blowing their trombones and getting the audience to clap on command.

At then end of the show, the performers each walked down from the stage, and left the theater toward the right hand side, while walking in front of a few rows in the audience.

Also, many in the audience were so pleased with the performance that I could see many people rising and giving standing ovations.

I guess you could say the audience really liked the show!...I know I did.

The cast was also available to speak with outside, once you left the theater. I'm not sure if this because it was the "first day", or if Disney is really listening to all of us and is really trying to do something to move DCA forward. I'll hope for the latter.

For this being the first public performance of BLAST! at DCA, I was quite amazed and very pleased how Disney staff pulled this off, considering from other's comments that this show was planned with very little lead time.

I give the DCA performance of BLAST! an absolute A+ and a must see for anyone who visits DCA.

It looks like DCA finally has a "hit" on their hands!

zapppop
11-22-2001, 07:43 PM
I'll go see it Dec. 4th.

bluepearl
11-22-2001, 08:22 PM
Cool, I can't wait to see it myself. If I'm lucky, I can catch it this Sunday. Otherwise, I'll have to check it out sometime next week. Is it showing on the weekdays too?

Nigel2
11-22-2001, 09:59 PM
I am 99 percent sure that the cast will do that at the end of every show since they did it at EPCOT. I have to see if its the exact same show or not since the stage here is a whole lot better/larger.

Julie
11-23-2001, 09:05 AM
Great news. I'll try to catch it this weekend! :)

akacl
11-23-2001, 01:13 PM
I had the honor to work the first day of the show Blast and was impressed by the perfomance. I was glad to see the lines outside of the Hyperion, waiting for the show. I didnt get to see the first 2 shows, because I was outside.
As for the tickets, our theatre is seating around 1944 guest for this show. We give out approx 1300-1500 tickets for people to see the show as advertising and a reminder to be early. If you have a ticket, you will be quaranteed seating until aprox 5 minutes before showtime, when we start letting the standby(non-ticket holders) line go in. If you dont have a ticket, we allow around 500 non-ticketed guests into the theater right away (to make up for the 500 tickets we didnt give out). Then after the 500 guests have gone in, we only allow ticket holders in, until 5 minutues before showtime. Then the standby line (non-ticketholders) is opened to let in guests group by group, until theater is filled. I hope that makes sense.
As for the seating, we leave the two rows in the back of orchestra open, so guests can't hear the commands and comments the techies use for the show. In mezzanine, you no longer have the box seats available, cause its needed for performers. The cast of blast will be meeting all guests at the end of the show outside of the theater, for pictures, questions. Not for just the openening days, but everyday. You will see performers go through the aisles of the theater, in orchestra and even mezzanine. Sorry balcony, you guys don't get any performers up there(maybe someday, if a performer gets bored or something).
The show is professionally done. The stage looks great, and the performers rock. If you like brass, drums, and I dont know wher you call the other people that do tricks with flags and batons, you will love the show. I think, you will enjoy the show, even if you dont like drum and brass instruments. The show can get real loud, since people are playing instuments above your head at times. Also it can get very dark in the theater. All in all, its a great show. There is a full version of Blast you can see soon, but dont remember where and when it will be playing. The Hyperion only has the condensed version(approx 33 mins.) of Blast. Blast is also a Tony award winning show. The Hyperion will be running Blast for 4 shows on busy days, and 3 shows during the week. Tuesdays will be our blackout days(no show running). The info I give can change at any moment, since its still new. I cant think of anything else to add................any questions, and I will try to answer them.