PDA

View Full Version : What goes on for Halloween at the DLR?

wenderella
09-28-2004, 08:44 AM
We are planning a trip to the DLR from Wed, October 27th to Monday, November 1st. There will be a total of 6 kids with us (2 families). Does anyone know if there is trick-or-treating or something special for Halloween (other than HMH)? I told my kids...being at Disneyland is treat enough. They agree...but we're going with another family. Any insight would be fabulous!

eryn
09-28-2004, 09:59 AM
i went during halloween in 2002 and there wasn't anything special in dl or dca. there was a george clinton concert at the house of blues though so you might find something interesting to do in downtown disney. have fun!

Arnie
09-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Take a look at this weeks Disneyland update to see whats happening around all the Disney Resorts: http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040927.htm

cstephens
09-28-2004, 10:41 AM
We are planning a trip to the DLR from Wed, October 27th to Monday, November 1st. There will be a total of 6 kids with us (2 families). Does anyone know if there is trick-or-treating or something special for Halloween (other than HMH)?

Last year, they offered trick-or-treating on Halloween in the three Disney-owned hotels. Haven't heard if they're doing that this year.

sediment
09-28-2004, 10:56 AM
The Disney Villains (not, not Eisner) may make an appearance. Some of the rare ones you hardly ever see.

Dr. G
09-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Wenderella:

We're also from Utah and planning on doing the Disneyland thing over UEA. My kids were very concerned about "missing" Halloween. I haven't found anything yet that talks about any Halloween activities at DL. Bummer. I did convince the kids that a week in So. Cal. is better than 2 hours of trick or treating, but it took some talking :). I'm tempted to ask the hotel we're staying at if I can give them (the hotel desk) some candy, then have my kids walk by and trick or treat ;)

Do you think the Utah UEA factor will affect the crowds at Disneyland? I've read before that the UEA factor has made for very crowded weekends, but I believe that was when UEA also hit over the Columbus Day weekend.

If I hear of anything Halloween-wise I'll post it here--please do the same :) You'd think at a minimum the stores in DTD would allow kids to come through (I believe they have in prior years?). Is the Disney Hotels trick or treating only for guests of those hotels?

Have a wonderful trip.

GrumpyUTboi
09-28-2004, 01:14 PM
Doc,

When are you heading down to DL? I went to DL years ago during UEA and it wasn't that busy. With that being said we are all going down on Halloween and I believe that the weekend will probably be busy. We are going the 25th thru Nov 1.

Wendi
09-28-2004, 01:59 PM
What is "the Utah UEA factor"???

Tinker Bell
09-28-2004, 02:40 PM
I have been at DL for the past three years.Disneyland hotels have always had some sort of trick or treat thing.I will be there again the 23-31 this year.See you there.I'm the one with 6-7 kids runing round me. :eek:

Dr. G
09-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Wendi:

UEA refers to the Utah Education Association and every fall the school kids get a couple days off while the teachers have their convention (my understanding is that the teachers don't have to attend it). A lot of families in Utah use the UEA convention as an excuse to vacation, and a lot of those families decide to go to Disneyland. It's usually in the middle of October about the same time as Columbus Day weekend, but this year it's the 28th and 29th.

I actually found a couple of the threads I remember reading awhile back that reference the UEA effect:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=21441

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=21410

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=21789

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=10694

It looks like the above threads hint at big crowds the 2 prior years, at least partially due to UEA. Hopefully the impact is prior years was due to several factors from several states and this year's UEA won't have too big an effect on crowds.

GrumpyUTboi:

We're actually being very evil (it is Halloween time after all) and taking the kids out of school for 3 days in addition to the UEA break. So, we're driving down Friday Oct 22nd (driving all in one day with 5 kids--wish me luck :) ) and then driving back Saturday Oct 30th. We're going to try to focus on DL through Wednesday or so, then plan on hitting Sea World and the beach the 28th on. So, we may miss the UEA crowds anyway, if there are any.

Sorry for the derail--now back to your regularly scheduled thread. As for Halloween, it seems to be the second biggest holiday for kids, surpassed only by Christmas. Why doesn't Disney take advantage of my kids and me and try to sell me some super expensive Halloween party?

Hope y'all have a great day!

sediment
09-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Why doesn't Disney take advantage of my kids and me and try to sell me some super expensive Halloween party?

They do. Go to WDW.

Dr. G
09-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I read about Mickey's Scary Halloween Party at WDW (or some title similar to that) a few months ago and made the mistake of telling my kids I thought they had a big Halloween party at Disneyland that we could go to. Rule #whatever with kids -- don't tell them anything until you're sure. Live and learn :). I've been trying to find something else now.

Anyway, airfare, transportation, etc. for 7 people to Florida doesn't work right now. However, my wife and I had a great trip to WDW for our first time last April, and without the kids to boot ;).

MouseWife
09-28-2004, 03:44 PM
So...what times do the hotels do trick or treating?

What if the kids aren't dressed up? I thought that Disneyland didn't like kids coming in costumes?

Any info would help. I am looking at this as a substitute to dragging the kid around the neighborhood...again.

Tinker Bell
09-28-2004, 08:03 PM
My kids have always dressed you and been at the park. Now adults can't be dressed up. Did they change it this year? I think the trick treat is around 6pm if I remember right.

wenderella
09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Dr. G - Where are you staying? That is still under debate with us. We (party of 3) are going with another family (party of 6). I have been thinking alot about the UEA factor. I am thinking that because this year it falls over Halloween, and since we weirdo Utahns will celebrate Halloween on Saturday...I'm thinking that most people WILL NOT travel over UEA. But you never know. It will be interesting to see! Ditto on having a good trip

MouseWife
09-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Tinker Bell~ Thanks for the heads up about the costumes. Hmm. Okay, that isn't too bad. He is bigger and I can work something out with jeans, etc.

Now, about the trick or treating; is it only for hotel guests and how do they do it at the hotel? Any info would help. I am trying to sell the Hubster on it and he is so stuck on what he has always done he has a hard time changing.

Me, I want the change to help transition from little boy to bigger boy who can find something to do away from school and those friends. Sometimes kids get so entangled into their school friends vacations or EGADS moving become quite traumatic.

Oh, sure, a trip to Disneyland will fix all of that. :D ;) {but it sounds good, eh? ;) }

Anyways, thanks for the help so far and any more would be appreciated!!

MouseWife

Dr. G
09-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Wenderella:

We're staying Friday the 22nd at the Desert Inn. It's $129/night, we're in a C2, and it sleeps 10. We decided to drive all the way to DL on Friday so we added this place for one night (due to a large price increase at the Residence Inn--I think they now want about $199/night, last I checked). It is right across from the pedestrian walkway into DL, so the convenience seems ideal

http://www.anaheimdesertinn.com/

The rest of the trip we're staying here:

http://www.residenceinnanaheim.com/

It was $139/night but it appears to have a better pool, is almost new, and has a full hot breakfast (savings on that alone for 7 people is encouraging). It only sleeps 8 so it wouldn't work for your group.

Good luck with the travel plans. It appears that hotels are filling up and prices are creeping up, so it might be good to get something figured out fairly soon. If I can answer any other questions, I'd be glad to.

I hope you're right about the UEA, Halloween, travel analysis. I guess we'll find out in about a month!

wenderella
09-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Dr....Me too. Knowing Utahns...they won't want to miss the Halloween festivities. Let's cross our fingers. I'll check out the hotel. We ususally stay at the Park Inn Anaheim, but may try something different this time. It sounds like you have a crew going. How fun! We're going to be travel guides for our good friends. My kids are the ages of theirs, so it sould be a good time. My kids are HMH freaks...they can't wait to see JACK! We just moved to St. George, and so the drive is not that bad. I do not envy your 1 day drive from up north. Drive carefully! It always makes me nervous. Thanks for the info.

Dr. G
09-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Here's a Halloween thought. Like Wenderella, my kids are big HMH fans and actually like the HM better that way (I do too, though I also like the original a lot). I realize Disney would never do this due to cost concerns, but what better place to have trick-or-treating than in the queue for the HMH. Cast Members could be dressed up and standing at various places throughout the queue. When kids come through the queue, they get a treat. They get to trick-or-treat plus it passes the time in line. As for me, just getting to ride through HMH and see the Mansion all decked out is a wonderful Halloween Treat.

wenderella
09-29-2004, 10:18 AM
I agree. I am having a hard time finding anything "Halloween" or "trick-or-treating" wise for the kids to participate in. I don't think they'll miss it, but it would be nice. I too am looking forward to HMH. Wouldn't miss it, and what better time that Halloween! YEA! Can't wait! Jack, Salley (if she's there), Oogie, Zero, and misc. ghosts haunting Christmastown....Ooohhhh!

SallySkellington
09-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Dr. G, wenderella, you guys are my kind of people! :D

GrumpyUTboi
09-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Dr G and Wenderella,

We are staying at the Ramada Maingate and we have family that are staying at the Tropicana Inn. We have 4 kids 9, 7, 3, and 2 so how about this. We will buy a bunch of candy and you do like wise. Then we will send our kids to your rooms and vice versa. That way our kids can get the sugar kick by trick-or-treating and not have to worry about crazy people out there.

Dr. G
10-01-2004, 10:53 AM
GrumpyUTboi:

Sounds like fun--however, I think we'll pass. It would be too hard to coordinate moving between hotels, day, time, etc. Otherwise, it would be cool.

Darkbeer
10-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Knott's Berry Farm does a great kids event called "Camp Spooky", offered Friday and Saturdays starting October 9th, thru Halloween weekend. It is held during regular park hours.