PDA

View Full Version : Mint julep

Pages : [1] 2

SoCalDude
09-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Ok - so I keep seeing everybody posting about the mint julip at DL. I must hang my head in shame as I have never had the pleasure to partake in the pleasure of sipping on a mint julip while people watching. This must change...

I am going to DL in the morning (Monday the 27th) and will try to check in here before I go in the morning (read that if I drag my rear out of bed with enough time). I would like to try one of these - so I need to be told where to get them since I have no idea :geek:

if I don't get a chance to find out where before I go I will try to find out at the park - if that does not work then I will get one on my next trip on Oct 4th I think it is..

crinklebat
09-26-2004, 11:54 PM
When I last got one, several years ago, they were at the Mint Julep Bar, around the right-hand corner of the French Market, or something like that. However, it's been quite a few years, and my memory of the place is quite foggy. I'm sure there are dozens of people on these boards who could give you better directions, but if none of them post before tomorrow morning, it's in the vicinity of the French Market, and once you're in NOS I'm sure any CM can point you in the right direction.

Dlandmom
09-27-2004, 06:26 AM
It's a window walk up place behind the French Market. Basically, if you're sitting at the NOS train station, you can see the window. It's not always open, so keep that in mind if you're just going to be there in the morning. Also, they used to serve it inside the French Market, so that's another option if it's still on the menu. If you can't find it, just ask a CM at the French Market. I'm sure someone will be able to guide you.

09-27-2004, 06:44 AM
And remember that a Disneyland mint julep must be sipped - never gulped - while listening to music in NOS.

hefferdude
09-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Ralph Brennen's Jazz Kitchen, on a really hot day, watching the crowds go by. :cool:

CoasterChickie
09-27-2004, 07:28 AM
A mint julep on a hot day is refreshing in the same way as a tall glass of ice cold lemonade. Ahhh!

SoCalDude
09-27-2004, 08:15 AM
hey sounds good! We will be leaving a little later than we thought so will be at the park all afternoon. I will head over to the NOS on the hunt for one of these so I can sip away :~D

Thanks everybody for the help - now they just have to be open!

Dlandmom
09-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Give us your review when you get back!

Subsonic
09-27-2004, 08:58 AM
I believe the Blue Bayou now has free refils on mint juleps :) After a while it gets to be too much sweet.

What's interesting, is a real mint julep tastes pretty bad. It's just minty alcohol. Not sweet at all.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-27-2004, 02:20 PM
You are gone so you will read this when you get back. I hope you are enjoying your Mint Julep right now! I LOVE them!

Photographer
09-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Please mail one mint julep to me. :crying:

splashmtngurl
09-27-2004, 02:45 PM
personally i think they taste like mouthwash... :fez:

sdfilmcritic
09-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Mouthwash and not wintergreen gum? I personally like Mint Juleps. Especially when I have the leftover taste in my mouth from lunch. All together now... Eeewwww.

splashmtngurl
09-27-2004, 02:50 PM
i dunno, maybe its something you need to aquire a taste for. Maybe i will try one this november when we go, i havent tried one since i was lets see........um.........um...............um.......9! !!!! wow i am old..... :p

ModHatter
09-27-2004, 02:55 PM
What's interesting, is a real mint julep tastes pretty bad. It's just minty alcohol. Not sweet at all.

I've had both and, frankly, I wouldn't put either on my favorites list. And the non-Disney one was consumed in a real New Orleans square, so if it's not so great THERE, it's hard to imagine them being too good anywhere else.

Just the same... not all minty alcohol is to be scoffed. Peppermint schnapps comes to mind.

sdfilmcritic
09-27-2004, 02:59 PM
But what about champagne and wine. For those aren't used to drinking them might describe them as fruity and tarty alcohol.

splashmtngurl
09-27-2004, 03:01 PM
okay i think the mint juleps are better then wine....ughhh! :(

CoasterChickie
09-27-2004, 04:17 PM
I think the key is to have them all by themselves. I had them with lunch at the Blue Bayou and they didn't really go with anything. Too sweet. But by itself with nothing else it tastes better!

SoCalDude
09-28-2004, 12:03 AM
ok - I am back!

I had one after we went on POTC... mmmmmmm

lol- as many times as we have taken the train to NOS I have never ever noticed that big sign that is right there! 'doh! We had never actually gone in there to get food or anything so I will let that be my excuse :cool:

We just got the drink, no food (but will eat there next time - the food looked good!) - and our kids let us sit there for about 10-15 minutes so I got to sip and sit in the shade and people watch. Quite nice - I love mint and I like the shade :geek: We also got to talk to a very nice man that is from the Monteray area, had a very nice talk about the great white shark they have up there. All in all it was a very nice 10-15 minutes.

Do they actually sell any of the fried cheesecake?? My heart hurt just looking at it...

I got pics - I will try to get them up in the morning. Nothing like the update pics like the others post.. just pics I thought I would take (I think there is like 130+ of them....) But I am tooooo tired to post them tonight.

sdfilmcritic
09-28-2004, 12:06 AM
I know Blue Bayou sells the fried bananna cheesecake, because I ate it there once. I don't know where else it could be sold.

shaydie
09-28-2004, 05:54 AM
I bought mine in the actual French Market Cafe... it was my first one (they have it on the machine that fills sodas.) I liked it okay, I thought it tasted like lemonade but with mint instead of lemons.

Permanecer Sentados
09-28-2004, 08:25 AM
When in college, my friends and I would bring those little airplane bottles of bourbon into the park and try to make the mint juleps more authentic. :eek: Didn't quite work, but hey, we were in college. ;)

Subsonic
09-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Haha, that's great. I should try that sometime :)

Dlandmom
09-28-2004, 09:02 AM
SoCalDude, glad you finally had a chance to try the julep. Now that you've brought it up, I'm anxious to have one the next time I'm there!

CoasterChickie
09-28-2004, 10:32 AM
ok - I am back!

I had one after we went on POTC... mmmmmmm

lol- as many times as we have taken the train to NOS I have never ever noticed that big sign that is right there! 'doh! We had never actually gone in there to get food or anything so I will let that be my excuse :cool:

We just got the drink, no food (but will eat there next time - the food looked good!) - and our kids let us sit there for about 10-15 minutes so I got to sip and sit in the shade and people watch. Quite nice - I love mint and I like the shade :geek: We also got to talk to a very nice man that is from the Monteray area, had a very nice talk about the great white shark they have up there. All in all it was a very nice 10-15 minutes.

Do they actually sell any of the fried cheesecake?? My heart hurt just looking at it...

I got pics - I will try to get them up in the morning. Nothing like the update pics like the others post.. just pics I thought I would take (I think there is like 130+ of them....) But I am tooooo tired to post them tonight.

Hey , don't feel bad...I never saw that sign either. I always thought the only place you could get a mint julep was the Blue Bayou. Oh well, at least they give free refills at the BB.

Hey, did the man you met from Monterey tell you where the great white shark is from. I wonder if it's the same one we "encountered" in Catalina who SCUBAbe says is a female who resides there!! :~D