PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for the DCA Backlot

Pages : [1] 2

ModHatter
09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
With SSL being awful, Millionaire going seasonal or going away for good, and Hollywood and Dine (or whatever it's called) dropping off the map, there is a lot of space available for something new.

Now, as some of you already know, I have my own pet project for this area, but I'm curious what other people would like to see happen back there. Let's think outside the box and imagine that money is no object.

AlohaJulie
09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
It would be nice to have something original in the Backlot, but Rock n Roller Coaster would do. Or the Sci-Fi Dine-In restaurant. I actually enjoyed the Backlot how it was. I still miss Hollywood and Dine!

Overall, I just want something there so that DUH continues! I spoke to a CM there (one very official looking, not in the usual Guest Relations costume, a "suit") about this awhile ago, and she said that they're hoping to clear out that whole area and put in a big E-ticket. She emphasized the word "hope."

Edited to add: my ideas weren't really out of the box! I'll be thinking about this when I go there this afternoon.

What were some of your ideas?

SallySkellington
09-24-2004, 01:34 PM
[derail]
I know this has probably been asked before, but what is DUH?

ModHatter
09-24-2004, 01:45 PM
I've seen a lot of duh at the parks, but what is DUH?

Anyway, my idea isn't entirely original either, and it borrows from a few of my fellow posters, but the basic idea would be to have a Star Wars "set" area, recreating a Tatooine spaceport, and a richly themed environment for an new and improved Star Tours. It could have stores and props, a mini museum like the AFI exhibit at DMGM, and maybe even a Blue Bayou-type cantina.

The same basic idea could be used for a Star Tours-type Great Movie Ride, where your screening room "comes to life" and takes you through a rollicking road trip with Cruella, on a flying fish over Milo's Atlantis, soaring over Australia as one of the Rescuers, or riding with Aladdin and Jasmine on a magic carpet, all through the magic of the movies.

In any case, so much of the charm of Disneyland is seeing these animated fantasy places created in three dimensions before our eyes. "Generic big city street" and "drab soundstage" work for Universal, but our backlot needs something more fanciful and immersive.

redgryphen
09-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Mission: SPACE where the the Hollywood & Dine was.

The Great Movie Ride where Superstar Lameo was.

SallySkellington
09-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Mission: SPACE where the the Hollywood & Dine was.

And add Alien Encounter somewhere, too! :D

Andrew
09-24-2004, 05:14 PM
DUH = Department of Untapped Hilarity, an improv comedy group.

AlohaJulie
09-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Yes! Mission Space!! If I had the chance to go to Orlando, that would be the first thing I'd visit at the parks.

averagedork
09-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Okay I am going with AlohaJulie here, keep DUH. Then the dork comes out...

I love the Muppets, but that 3D thing... oh goodness. I fall asleep in that show (I go there for the air and see Gonzo). So maybe instead they could keep the whole Muppets/Jim Henson's vibe but do maybe a "Best of Jim..." and have an attraction where all of the old school Muppets, Seaseme Street, maybe some Fraggles (those who know me, know my love for them. I would love a comeback for those critters), the funny stuff. Oh and no Pepe! Hate him. He's like Rizzo's minion replacement. Millionare, take out completely. While I like the Limo ride, take it out and put something cool. Something that isn't at Disney World/Orlando. Maybe like a caper rollercoaster. Something very old school movie wise. Like the coaster be an old buggie from like 1920/1930 Hollywood and have it like an old black and white movie and maybe one time make the rider feel like they too are in black and white. With the classic old music that played in silent movies. That'd be fun. It'd be something we haven't seen and be a draw to the park. Um... I'd change up the Animation building and maybe have shows inside there. Soap Opera gets put back in (the preschool thing is lame). Then have in the Hollywood and Dine area a resturaunt that is for nimation. Like casual but maybe to look like an old animation studio back when Walt was around. Then the food be artistic in it's design and very bright and a lot of variety in their menu (with healthy food, so hard to find good food in that area and Hollywood is all about skinny folks who don't eat burgers!). Also maybe instead of having as many Aladin shows they could show classic Disney movies at the Hyperion with an organ player playing before the show ( like at the El Capitan) that would be cool. I'm dorky. I like DUH and old Hollywood.

Tref
09-24-2004, 11:21 PM
... there is a lot of space available for something new.
... Let's think outside the box and imagine that money is no object.

I would like to see that area used for storage.

ModHatter
09-25-2004, 01:13 AM
I would like to see that area used for storage.

Oh, if only I had an ignore button...

redgryphen
09-25-2004, 05:29 PM
And add Alien Encounter somewhere, too! :D
Yeah i would love alien encounter at either DL or DCA!

bandboy1985
09-26-2004, 12:09 AM
i'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but i've heard from several cm's in entertainment that it's rock 'n roller for sure.

i believe the date i heard bandied about was 2007.

ModHatter
09-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Well, I have to hope that's just a rumor. It's okay for what it is, but those kinds of rides, go on once and that's enough.

Mistersh0w
09-26-2004, 01:33 AM
i'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but i've heard from several cm's in entertainment that it's rock 'n roller for sure.

Oh god no!! Doesnt Rock 'N Roller coaster use the same launch technology as Screamin'? I've heard that they wouldnt want to put similair ride technology so close to eachother...I hope it's not a coaster....Put in a dark ride for the pete of sake!!

Tikiboy7
09-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Overall, I just want something there so that DUH continues! I spoke to a CM there (one very official looking, not in the usual Guest Relations costume, a "suit") about this awhile ago, and she said that they're hoping to clear out that whole area and put in a big E-ticket. She emphasized the word "hope."

wow.I wonder what they would do if they clered out that whole area? that would be pretty interesting if they did.

disneyperson
09-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Perhaps more people would venture over to "the dark side" as my daughter and I refer to DCA if it actually became part of DL . Find some way to use the space in between to connect them. Just one entrance gate to both parks.It's usually not worth it to us to go back and forth through the turnstiles and there is always a long line to get back into DL .(of course DL could just open up more turnstiles) Then build a really amazing e ticket attraction in the muppet/millionaire area to tempt folk over that way. Some sort of bridge over it all could be devised to keep foot traffic still flowing to DTD and the hotels. Instead of DCA being a seperate park, it could be one more big addition to DL. Is that far enough outside the box? By the way , I love the idea of a Star Wars cantina style restaurant.

MrsG
09-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Oh god no!! Doesnt Rock 'N Roller coaster use the same launch technology as Screamin'? I've heard that they wouldnt want to put similair ride technology so close to eachother...I hope it's not a coaster....Put in a dark ride for the pete of sake!!

I am totally with you on this Misthersh0w! DCA has enough thrill rides - GGR, Screamin', MM, Maliboomer, along with all the carnie rides.... (They also have enough 3D shows.) I would love to see a GOOD dark ride a la Pirates and HM.

And SciFi style Theater would be perfect for the backlot area. Maybe they could change it from the campy scifi movies to campy beach movies - think Annette Funichello.

SallySkellington
09-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Mistersh0w- from what I saw on a Travel Channel special, R&RC looks even more intense than Screamin'! I was watching it thinking, "No way in hell would you ever get me on that thing!"

Disneyperson- I love the idea of making DL and DCA one park! They could build a bridge like the ones here in LV on the Strip. You go up an escalator (or elevator if you're lazy LOL), walk across a walkway high above the ground, and go down another escalator on the other side. I think those bridges are so fun! :D

crinklebat
09-26-2004, 12:12 PM
I actually really like the idea of showing old Disney movies someplace in Hollywood Pictures Backlot. It could be like the theater on Main Street, except with actual scheduled shows, really plush seating, everything done El Capitan-style. The thing is that you just know Disney's sitting on a huge archive of old cartoons that a. haven't been released for purchase at all or b. were released once on VHS and haven't been seen since. And I bet a lot of them are really funny and fun. I'd definitely be willing to wait in line for an old moviehouse type experience.

And, oh man, imagine the kind of dough they could rake in if they showed Song of the South there! I know they won't because of the PC issue but jeeez, such potential cash. I don't know anyone who wouldn't go there at least once to actually see the movie Splash Mtn was based on.

On an unrelated note, the one day park hopper is the final straw of basically making DL and DCA into one park. Especially now when so much at DL is closed, it's just silly not to pay an extra few bucks to get the second park. It'd be nice to have a physical connection between them, and I suspect it'll happen eventually, but for now I think this is as close as it'll be for a while.

Tikiboy7
09-26-2004, 12:34 PM
There will never be a "connection" between DL and DCA to make it 1 park.If anything they will just pump more and more money into DCA to make it "worth" 49 bucks to get in.In the long run they would make more money that way.A 1 park Disneyland resort is a thing of the past and will never return,I hate to burst your bubble.

disneyperson
09-26-2004, 12:43 PM
There will never be a "connection" between DL and DCA to make it 1 park.If anything they will just pump more and more money into DCA to make it "worth" 49 bucks to get in.In the long run they would make more money that way.A 1 park Disneyland resort is a thing of the past and will never return,I hate to burst your bubble.
No bubble bursting here, just thinking outside the box as requested. Even if they were joined I would probably not venture far from the confines of DL ,my addiction is very narrow. (aw c'mon you liked bursting it a little didn't ya?)

Uncle Remus
09-26-2004, 03:06 PM
To get back on track alittle... I am trying to think of a ride on the spot... California is a hard theme to fit... If Miramax had picked up Lord of the Rings they could have put in a dark ride of one of the battles... but otherwise Hey!! maybe like Hollywoods past. Like Steamboat Willie done with Animatronics. Or a couple of walts older animations and as the ride goes on they could gradually come into color. Or even a whole new adventure dealing with a classic Mickey.

splashmtngurl
09-26-2004, 03:53 PM
What they really need is something big, original and fun. It should be as detailed and thrilling as Indiana Jones, as heartwarming, funny and full of personality as pirates or haunted mansion and it should be something that interests almost everyone. I know that may sound like asking a lot but that’s what Disney is all about, imagination and creativity. Whatever attraction goes in the Backlots needs to be entertaining and it needs to have the potential to carry a good number of people every hour. It needs to have that certain detail that other attractions in DCA and places like knotts and 6 flags lack. What DCA's attractions are lacking in right now is the potential to bring in large crowds, to entertain people and make them laugh, jump, scream, cry or say "wow I never knew that before". My idea of the perfect attraction is one that surprises me, makes me wonder how they did something in the attraction, thrills me and above all makes me want to ride again. That’s why I believe attractions like Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain are among those attractions at DL that everyone loves. DCA is a wonderful and although I love it to death, many people don’t put the park in the same perspective as I do. When I walk into a Disney park (or any other park for that matter) I am always preoccupied with thinking about all the different things that make the parks what they are. I can sit back and say, "Give DCA a chance, its only 5 years old" but tons of other people would contradict that. I don’t really care what they put in the Backlots but I really would rather see them come up with a new, fresh idea, one that hasn’t been used in any other parks. Wouldn’t it be great if Disney came up with a way to incorporate a certain new ride element, story line or character into the attraction. The backlots are desperate for some color, character and personality whether on the facades or the attractions themselves. Take a look at the TOT, it’s almost a brand new attraction and the lines are barely reaching past 30-40 minutes on the most crowded days of the year. Why is that? Perhaps its because millions of people have already experience the attraction at WDW or perhaps its simply because that’s basically the only attraction at the end of the park anymore. Yes, for the more intense park go-er that wants to see EVERYTHING or the occasional local that cares about some of the other things down at that end of the park there is more to do but for people who are on a limited time frame...there is hardly reason to go down to that end of the park.

Anyway I guess I will stop rambling on about this, I think I have already said enough. I just hope that whatever matt decides to put in that area will bring character, meaning, personality and inspiration to DCA and I hope that it will draw people to the park and perhaps even give DCA a better label. I have a feeling that whatever goes in that area will be good, I put complete faith in matt because I think that within this short time that he has been with the co. he has made a huge difference.

bandboy1985
09-26-2004, 05:23 PM
i believe RNR uses the same electromagnetic "catapult" start as screamin', but forgive me if i'm incorrcet- the last time i rode it in florida was 2000. all i remember thinking about it was "hey- things glow in the dark in here!"

remember folks, DCA is still cool!hip!edgy! to TDA. following that logic/mindset, another huge, flashy coaster makes perfect sense. and, in a way- if you've limited yourself to picking and choosing from rides you've already come up with, there are worse fits as far as theme is concerned than RNR in HPB. it's not 1930's high-glamour art deco like ToT, but it does offer certain benefits: it's a high-capacity people-eater, and it'll take up underutilized real estate. i have to say, in light of that, i can't not be for it.

embrace the future. it's a-comin'.