PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Changes?

Lekta
09-21-2004, 01:39 PM
What exactly does the holiday decorations entail? I know that there is a large christmas tree in the hub area, and I also know that the castle is generally decorated (not sure if it will be this year with the refurb for the 50th going on), but, what else of note is dressed in Christmas decor?

Do they server different food/drink items? Perhaps have a Christmas themed shop open? Does Santa pay a visit?

Thank you all kindly!

CarlieB
09-21-2004, 01:54 PM
From what I remember it's pretty festive almost everywhere. There are big garlands on Main Street, wreaths almost everywhere and heaps of Christmas themed merchandise. The restaurants and cafes all offer holiday themed items - eggnog lattes, gingerbread stuff, etc, and I'm pretty sure Santa is in DCA.

SallySkellington
09-21-2004, 02:26 PM
The only things I can think of are HMH (and really all of NOS) and iaswh.

Arnie
09-21-2004, 02:45 PM
I think toontown may also get some Holiday decorations, as well as Storybook Land canal boats. Fireworks show is also madeover with a "snow"ing finale on Mainstreet. The candy store on Mainstreet makes lot of holiday goodies too. Santa Goofy is usually in the park somewhere.

ER Nurse
09-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi,
I mostly lurk on these boards but wanted to add a few things. Santa is located at the entrance to Main Street near the huge Christmas tree. You can get your picture taken with him. There is usually a lone but it moves fairly quick.
The parades have a Christmas theme to them as well. I also remember that the shops in NOS were decorated as well.
One thing I love most is having a churro and a hot chocolate while sitting on a bench looking at the decorations and lights on It's a Small World.
Have a great time...I can not wait to go back :)

LilmissTinkerbell
09-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Also, if I remeber correctly, they started doing a make- your -own gingerbread cookie in NOS and off Main St. Also, the ornamnet store starts to carry more then ornaments, tree toppers, stockings, etc.

Lekta
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
As always, I appreciate your answers :)

We are looking forward to a wonderful time!

rentayenta
09-22-2004, 04:59 AM
We went in Dec. in 1999. From what I rememeber the whole park has a Christmasy feel. You will not be disappointed. It truly is magical. The tree on Main St. is breathtaking.

EandCDad
09-22-2004, 07:23 AM
This will repeat some stuff other people have mentioned, but I didn't want to look back and try to edit it out, here are the general changes they make to Disneyland for Christmas:

Holiday fireworks (including snow)
Christmas Parade (usually starts after Thanksgiving)
Holiday guided tour
Christmas decorations
Cookie decorating stations
special holiday foods
Santa Claus in the town square (and the hotels)
Christmas music
Big tree on Main Street
Characters in wintery type clothing (Santa Goofy in Toontown)
There has been a show called Minnie's Christmas Party but I doubt they will do it this year because it's in the same theater as the Snow White show
Overlays to it's a small world and Haunted Mansion Holiday

DCA does a lot less but they have Santa's over there, also.

Mouseplanet has some articles and updates with pictures which may help you get the feel for how it looks:

This is a photo tour by Lisa Perkis (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031203lp.htm) of the Christmas Trees in DL and DTD.

This is a review of the Christmas tour of Disneyland by Shoshana Lewin (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031211sl.htm).

This is the Christmas Resort Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr031111.htm) from 2003.

heidiwhr
10-08-2004, 06:14 PM
When do the Christmas decorations go up? We will be there in a month (Nov. 8-10), and I noticed on the DL website that the holiday fireworks show will be going all 3 nights. I was surprised it will be that early, but if we can get in on the holiday decor - even better!

DopeyWife
10-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Some of you have said that there is a Santa Goofy, but is there a Santa Mickey as well? What date will the Santa on Main Street or the hotels be out?

sami869
10-08-2004, 07:49 PM
When do the Christmas decorations go up? We will be there in a month (Nov. 8-10), and I noticed on the DL website that the holiday fireworks show will be going all 3 nights. I was surprised it will be that early, but if we can get in on the holiday decor - even better!

Yep, the holiday decor should be up during your stay. They usually go up that first week of November.

Earkid
10-08-2004, 08:35 PM
One of our favorite things to do is ride the train around the park at night. You get a great view of all the lights all over the park. When the train goes thru IASW it is magical because there are soooo many lights and you ride right thru all of them.

Then we like to get a hot chocolate in the special holiday cup and a warm churro and sit and wait for the fireworks.

NOS is always done very well. Don't forget to look up at the second stories!!

heidiwhr
10-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Yep, the holiday decor should be up during your stay. They usually go up that first week of November.

Cool! It's been so long since we were there during the holidays! hmmmmm - better bring all 3 digital cameras and the laptop to dump the pics on every night! :) It would be great to get a family pic in front of the Christmas Tree for our Christmas card this year... :D

EandCDad
10-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Some of you have said that there is a Santa Goofy, but is there a Santa Mickey as well? What date will the Santa on Main Street or the hotels be out?

I don't think I've ever seen Santa Mickey. Usually the Santas are out on Main Street, in DCA, and in the hotels the day after Thanksgiving, but I think at least one year they started it during the first week in November. The day after Thanksgiving is the norm, though.

disneyperson
10-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Santa Goofy is in ToonTown and has a special throne set up for photos. Mickey wears his festive holiday sweater. I LOVE Dl at Christmas. There are lights and decorations everywhere, and they are all themed to the land they're in.

EandCDad
10-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Just a note from the Annual Passholder newsletter. The Christmas Fantasy Parade is scheduled to start November 19th. That's likely when Santa will also be in the park. All other activities/decorations will being November 5th.