PDA

View Full Version : Budget Tahitian Terrace Idea

merlinjones
09-21-2004, 07:47 AM
In Al's miceage update today, he mentions that the foods division has not been able to make the numbers work for a return to the dinner show concept, so the facility's future is still in limbo.

Here's a compromise idea that could make fiscal sense: Move an expanded Tiki Juice Bar/Dole Whip stand into the Terrace area and add a range of virgin tropical Dole juice cocktails and yummy pupu platters to a walk up facility in the lush garden/stage setting that features Polynesian entertainment, slack key guitarists, hula girls (and at night fire dancers) on a more modest scale throughout the day (like the jazz in New Orleans Square) - - then this area would become the coolest tropical lounge place to chill out.

Profit margins could be pretty high on fancy virgin cocktails and appetizers... and these would be desirable throughout the day and year.

Shag could help with the rehab (and have an expanded line of merchandise outside). I'd hang out there...

Also - - The Terrace could be opened up to allow crowd flow from the Tiki Room exit.

napabeth
09-21-2004, 07:49 AM
I like it. Can we have steel drums playing also? Please . . . . .

merlinjones
09-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Steel drums? Cool... and how about a limbo contest? :)

millionairegirl
09-21-2004, 08:00 AM
I like the idea of the appetizers, kind of like what they serve at Roy's (the Pacific Rim chain). You could have short ribs, potstickers, wontons, tempura shrimp, chicken satay, etc. I would hope they would steer clear of the ahi tuna though, I just don't trust Disney to do that safely!

Hmm, with a virgin Mai Tai, my mouth is watering!

TikiGeek
09-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Great idea! They could make it sort of "Bengal BBQ'ish" and add merchandise. Tiki merchandise sells very well at the store right across from the Tiki Room exit. Ummm! I can remember the tropical punch and the fried shrimp. I think it could work :D

dlandnut
09-21-2004, 08:30 AM
Sounds wonderful. Hope the "powers that be" are taking note. :)

Dlandmom
09-21-2004, 11:48 AM
What I don't get is how can it not make fiscal sense. Sure, I know that there's a lot of expense in putting on a dinner show, but if there is demand for such a show, and there surely is, then why can't you price it appropriately. If it's as popular as it appears to be, I'm sure folks will pay a little more to enjoy it. There aren't very many nice sit down options at Disneyland, so having this available seems like a big plus for Disneyland.

But good idea, merlinjones, as an alternative if they really won't go for the full dinner show.

Disneyfreak
09-21-2004, 11:59 AM
What I dont get is that by having the tehitian terrace return they will be making a ton of money in that spot. I feel that they will earn that money back in a hurry and will earn a huge profit on it. This is why I dont understand why they dont do this. This is the difference between the walt era and this era. This era wont do anything risky when walt would take chances and almost always come out positive. This restaurant would be a huge hit and they are stupid for not realizing it.

iwannabeanimagineer
09-21-2004, 03:10 PM
What I don't get is how can it not make fiscal sense.
Based on my experience in Corporate America, conservatively-forcast returns-on-investment (ROI) are compared to a standard ROI, which, in the case of the Walt Disney Company is the ROI they would expect from investing the same amount in a new hotel on DLR property or a new movie. The part that may not be making fiscal sense could be the estimated return is too conservative and not as aggressive as Walt or other investors might like. Or it could be that the comparitive ROI is too high; maybe they could get even more obscene profits by doing something else with the money.

The real problem for me is that the "projected-ROI vs. ideal-ROI" method misses the big picture: What value could be added to the Disney brand by resurrecting the Tahitian Terrace? What would the increased market share of theme park attendance be? How many more AP's and admissions could be sold? Beside the additional time and money spent at the TT, how much more time and money would passport guests and AP's spend in the park? How much would it increase the viability of Adventureland as a vacation destination unto itself? How many new guests can we bring in by promoting the new TT? (For our family, NOS/Critter Country/Frontierland/Rivers of America would still be a vacation destination even if it weren't connected to Main Street, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Toontown, DCA and the rest of the DLR.)