PDA

View Full Version : Genie's Jokes

Pages : [1] 2 3

sdfilmcritic
09-21-2004, 12:03 AM
The guy playing the Genie in DCA's Aladdin show always cracks me up. I saw the show on Sunday (9/19) and he's up there doing a Govenor Arnold impersation to get Aladdin to grant him the freedom he's looking for.

Genie in an Ahnuld voice.... "Do it! Do it now! (tilts his head back and throws his arms around) Argh, ahh, arggh, (incoherent loud mumbling)!"

AlohaJulie
09-21-2004, 01:17 PM
I always laugh when he says, "Don't go away...there's going to be samiches (as in sandwiches) !" Or "Didn't work for Martha Stewart, won't work for you"

TikiGeek
09-21-2004, 01:41 PM
When he's flying on the carpet he says "look at me - I'm soar'in over California!" I know it's dumb but it cracks me up :D

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-21-2004, 04:04 PM
He was hilarious when we saw him in May. I can't wait to see the show again. I was also amazed at how much his voice sounded like Robin Williams! He was terrific!
I was lauging so hard when he came out with his suitcase and said, I'm going to DL!

Biscuit
09-21-2004, 04:34 PM
I'll always remember the "smurf with a thyroid problem" line! LMAO :D

nightdesigns
09-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but on a related note, who is Jasmine played by? When I saw it, she was Asian, and looked really familiar, like from a TV show or something.

-ja

AliciasMom
09-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but on a related note, who is Jasmine played by? When I saw it, she was Asian, and looked really familiar, like from a TV show or something.

-ja

She was on the NBC sitcom California Dreams. It came on after Saved By the Bell.

AVP
09-21-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm not overly thrilled with the topical jokes the Genie does. I guess it's just me.

AVP

AlohaJulie
09-21-2004, 05:37 PM
She was on the NBC sitcom California Dreams. It came on after Saved By the Bell.

I haven't been keeping up with the show much lately, but I remember they used to post the actors in the day's performances outside the doors to the Hyperion and one of the names listed for Jasmine was Dee Dee Mango (or is it Magno, I can't remember) who used to be on the Mickey Mouse Club.

Tutter
09-21-2004, 05:40 PM
When I saw this show two weeks ago i was impressed by it all - including the genie - but I wasn't sure Aladdin looked right - a minor point which doesn't marr the show - but we all commented on it afterwards.

ChipmunkStar
09-21-2004, 05:53 PM
The girl from California Dreams was named Jennie Kwan.

soccerlady16
09-21-2004, 05:56 PM
I thought it was her!

AliciasMom
09-21-2004, 06:10 PM
I thought it was her!

I wasn't sure if it was her until I did some googling and found a fan website dedicated to Jennie Kwan and she said her latest job is as Jasmine.

ModHatter
09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
I've only seen the stage show once, but yeah, I came away thinking that Genie was hilarious, and made for a show somepne could see over and over and not get bored, which is something many Disney attractions don't seem to plan ahead for.

I also came away thinking I had to stalk someone in front of me, but that's beside the point... I said it then and I say it now, the current regime seems to do its best not with long, target marketed, researched attractions, but these spontaneous entertainments where someone just asks "What can we do fast that will be fun?"

olegc
09-21-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm not overly thrilled with the topical jokes the Genie does. I guess it's just me.

AVP

Om a tanget - what cracks me up even more is when radio stations do remotes, and they "interview" Mickey and Goofy , etc. and as such the characters have to respond to certain "modern" questions while maintaining their Disney family persona. Always makes me a snicker.

shaydie
09-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Om a tanget - what cracks me up even more is when radio stations do remotes, and they "interview" Mickey and Goofy , etc. and as such the characters have to respond to certain "modern" questions while maintaining their Disney family persona. Always makes me a snicker.
That's something I'd love to hear! :D

I was saying this morning that the best part of my three day trip last weekend was the Aladdin show. (And best ride was Grizzly River Run, but that's beside the point. :cool: ) It was fantastic. The genie was great. Can you believe I haven't seen the movie? I only know the story from seeing Disney on Ice, the one about the princesses. I must see this movie now.

ModHatter
09-21-2004, 09:36 PM
It was a fun movie, back in that era when Disney was at peak form again. Supposedly that started with Mermaid, but I still detest that film, having grown up with the REAL story. But you had films like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and... stuff. I'm sure there was at least one more. Plus Lion King, which I didn't join the bandwagon on. On the other hand, despite a few too many critters, I loved Pocahontas, when many people don't seem to care much for it.

But, yeah, it IS weird that, of all the movies being forced on rides and overlays, Aladdin pops up in the places it does. A Dumbo clone? WDW Tiki Room? Storybookland made sense, and definitely the live show. But, definitely, if you liked the show, you HAVE to see the movie.

sdfilmcritic
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Do you mean this girl? http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorsK/P00009666.HTML

nintendestined
09-21-2004, 11:42 PM
The guy playing the Genie in DCA's Aladdin show always cracks me up. I saw the show on Sunday (9/19) and he's up there doing a Govenor Arnold impersation to get Aladdin to grant him the freedom he's looking for.

Genie in an Ahnuld voice.... "Do it! Do it now! (tilts his head back and throws his arms around) Argh, ahh, arggh, (incoherent loud mumbling)!"

Sounds like a Predator reference, methinks. In the movie, Arnold says the same thing to the Predator to lure it into his trap. I dunno, I'm sure it's referencing that. o_o;
Anywho, I saw the Aladdin show for the first time back in June, and I thought it was pretty funny(mostly thanks to the Genie). I remember the line that had me cracking up the most was his:
"Do you know how bad it is being stuck in that lamp?! It's like standing in line outside for The Tower of Terror! And nobody's wearing deoderant!"
:D

nightdesigns
09-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Do you mean this girl? http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorsK/P00009666.HTML

I think that was her, hard to tell though, I was up in the mezzaine. If i heard the voice I'd know immediately. Her voice seemed really familiar though, more recent than 1997 when that show went off the air (and I never watched it anyway).

-ja

sdfilmcritic
09-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Here's the answer (sort of) at IMDB. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0477075/otherworks

Her regular resume list is at http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0477075/

sami869
09-22-2004, 08:04 AM
I love the Aladdin show. The Genie and the carpet make me laugh everytime I see it. The only thing that I don't like is that Abu isn't in it.

danyoung
09-22-2004, 12:48 PM
...the current regime seems to do its best not with long, target marketed, researched attractions, but these spontaneous entertainments where someone just asks "What can we do fast that will be fun?"

While I generally agree with your point, I'm not sure I'd apply it to the Aladdin show. This was produced by the Disney Entertainment division, and involved Broadway caliber talent. A lot of time and thought went into the production of this show, and it really shows!

ModHatter
09-22-2004, 01:24 PM
While I generally agree with your point, I'm not sure I'd apply it to the Aladdin show. This was produced by the Disney Entertainment division, and involved Broadway caliber talent. A lot of time and thought went into the production of this show, and it really shows!

On time, thought, and talent, I agree. However, it was my understanding that that venue was supposed to hold shows like Power of Blast or whatever. An Aladdin show was not part of the original strategy for the Hyperion. But as DCA struggled, they threw out the original strategy and quickly pitched Aladdin. The though and planning went into the production itself, not whether it should be done at all, and what would the focus groups say, and all the corporate hemming and hawing that has been taking place, say, at my sub lagoon for six years.

tod
09-22-2004, 03:37 PM

I don't even think Aladdin is a show. It's just a collection of greatest hits from the movie. The Genie is hit and miss for me: sometimes the topical stuff hits, sometimes it doesn't, I don't go in for that laughter-of-recognition that often follows "I just saved a lot of money on my car insurance" or other lines that are familiar but not funny. They overused the flying gag -- once was plenty, twice is overdoing it -- and it just doesn't work as a whole show. A theme park diversion, yeah, but it's never gonna get any closer to Broadway than Harbor Boulevard.

Then again, I remember the guy who was putting the "Snow White" show together saying that he re-imagined "The Silly Song" as taking place indoors. Nobody told him that his great big creative breakthrough brainstorm was exactly like they did it in the movie.

If, as Al Lutz says on Mice Age, Entertainment is going to get taken down a peg, it couldn't happen to a more deserving group of people.

--t