PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Sheraton in Anaheim

CoasterChickie
09-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I've driven past the Sheraton on each trip so I know where it is located. But I'm wondering if anyone who has stayed there knows if it's faster to walk or take the shuttle to DL. If you walk would you go down Disneyland Dr. and into DTD or would you go a different way? I'm in good shape so I don't mind walking if it's under 30 minutes, but at the end of the day when my feet are killing me I might want to take the shuttle.

DisneylandForever
09-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm in good shape so I don't mind walking if it's under 30 minutes, but at the end of the day when my feet are killing me I might want to take the shuttle.

Um, I'm an athlete (and in pretty good shape myself), and I wouldn't even think about walking 29 minutes to my hotel after walking around DL all day! LOL

You so crazy chickie

Take the shuttle! Do it!

Or just stay on the strip right across the street. That's my advice!

CoasterChickie
09-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Um, I'm an athlete (and in pretty good shape myself), and I wouldn't even think about walking 29 minutes to my hotel after walking around DL all day! LOL

You so crazy chickie

Take the shuttle! Do it!

Or just stay on the strip right across the street. That's my advice!

I don't mind the shuttle. I just like walking better, especially through DTD. And I have reward points to stay at the Sheraton for free so I'm not switching hotels.

Opus1guy
09-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Yes. You would stroll down Disneyland Drive to Downtown Disney.

I've stayed at this hotel countless times over the decades and already 8 times in 2004. It's actually a lovely stroll on a setback sidewalk/path past some really nicely landscaped areas (you walk along the Disneyland side of the street, not the Mickey & Friends Parking Lot side, which has no sidewalk I believe).

I'd say if you walk normal it would take you about 10 minutes. 15 tops if your pace is slow.

I hardly ever take the shuttle from the Sheraton and much prefer walking. It's a nice quiet walk and you'll likely be the only one on the path! Beats the madhouse of Harbor too, IMHO. Their shuttle is fine and punctual, but I don't like waiting for it and it's usually packed with screaming families and such.

I've "beaten" the shuttle (and friends who took it) by walking on many occasions, depending on timing of course. So for me...walking has usually been faster than taking the shuttle.

I also think the walk "sets the stage" much better than the madhouse of Harbor. Because of the landscaping it's more like an extension of the Park similar to what you'd experience at Walt Disney World. IMHO, staying and strolling from the Sheraton, is the next best Disney-type "experience" than staying at one of the Disney properties. The poor man's Disney hotel, as it were. ;)

But if your dogs are really tired, you can always hoof over to the shuttle area and just take it back.

Here's an existing thread on the hotel and a post by me that comments on this walk.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=27928

DisneylandForever
09-20-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't mind the shuttle. I just like walking better, especially through DTD. And I have reward points to stay at the Sheraton for free so I'm not switching hotels.

Well then!

I just mapped the hotel from DL, and it's barely a mile away. The average human walks between 2 to 3 miles per hour. Since you're in such good shape, we'll give you the high end, 3. That means it would take you roughly 20 minutes to walk if you just went at an average pace. 15 if you walk a little faster.

I have never stayed at the Sheraton, but I can't imagine the shuttle taking more than 20 minutes to get 1 mile, even with the stoplights and traffic. Take it, and save your tootsies for the Park! JMO

CoasterChickie
09-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info Opus1 Guy. We really need to go low budget on this trip and I feel like we made a good choice based on the info I'm reading at this board.

Disneyland Forever...thanks for your concern. Remember, I always have Javanod to give me a piggy back ride if my feet get tired!! Ha Ha just kidding. I'll probably walk over in the morning ...I love DTD when it's waking up and all the music is playing. But at the end of the night I'll probably take the shuttle!

Opus1guy
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
From departing the Sheraton, I'd say the shuttle only takes 5 to 8 minutes to get to the park. It just bips down Ball and turns right on Harbor. Very short drive.

Only problem is that it runs twice an hour in each direction. So if you "just missed" the last one...you're talking roughly 30 minute wait for the next plus the travel time.

FYI, the shuttle (still on my last visit) ran to Disneyland on the hour and half hour, and from Disneyland at 18 and 48 past the hour.

DisneylandForever
09-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Disneyland Forever...thanks for your concern. Remember, I always have Javanod to give me a piggy back ride if my feet get tired!! Ha Ha just kidding. I'll probably walk over in the morning ...I love DTD when it's waking up and all the music is playing. But at the end of the night I'll probably take the shuttle!

That sounds like a good plan. Get your legs warmed up for the day, and let 'em rest after it's over! I have never been to DTD as it was opening. Maybe I'll give it a walk-thru one of these days...

Niwel
09-20-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm very silly when it comes to transportation. I love the Sheraton -- but I have a parking pass to Mickey and Friends -- so when I stay there, I DRIVE my car across the street.
I like not having to worry about catching/missing a shuttle.
Fear not, they do stick pretty close to the schedule.
Once, when I stayed for two nights we drove the car in the morning, took the shuttle back to the hotel in the afternoon, took a nap, took the shuttle to Disneyland and - at the end of the night -- went back to the car.
The walk is not bad -- I believe there is a sidewalk near mickey and friends (stay to the left when you cross Ball) and it will take you past the parking structure to a gated area in Downtown Disney -- then you'll walk along the tram path. Not too bad in the morning, but when you are tired I wouldn't suggest it.

BTW CC ... if you are planning on staying there before MA I wouldn't walk in the morning -- you'll be doing PLENTY of that. :)

cstephens
09-20-2004, 06:04 PM
I stayed at the Sheraton this past July and really liked it. The room was very nice, and the proximity to where I needed to be couldn't be beat. We checked in and then took the shuttle over to the resort and then took the opportunity to stay late on Sunday night and then just took the shuttle back to the hotel in the evening without having to worry about someone having to drive. I also took the shuttle back to the resort the next afternoon. The walk would have definitely been much more than I could handle, so having the shuttle handy was very convenient. I would agree that Disneyland Drive would be a better way to go than Ball/Harbor if you do want to walk though.

I hope I have a reason to stay at the Sheraton again...