PDA

View Full Version : Are you an official DLR tour guide?

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-20-2004, 07:10 AM
When someone in your party has to go to the bathroom, do you know where the bathrooms all are? When someone wants something specific to drink or eat, can you pinpoint the exact square inch the cart is located on in the park? Can you recite the words in each of the rides?

GrumpyUTboi
09-20-2004, 07:24 AM
Restrooms, yes. Drinks or food, yes. The words to all the rides, not quite yet.

Dlandmom
09-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Since I was about 8, no kidding, no joking, really. When I was growing up, I really wanted to be an actual tour guide, but I was so busy with high school that I didn't have time to drive 45 minutes to go to work every day. Then, I had to up and move out of state for college, so I guess that really meant I couldn't make the commute. Oh, well, maybe when my kids are grown...I'll try to become the oldest Disneyland tour guide.

nursemelis374
09-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Yes. My friend's mom recently actually said that I should rent myself out because I saved them so much time, knowing which rides to go on and when, the best seats, food, and best use of fastpass.

Mukta
09-20-2004, 08:57 AM
I have been doing tours since I was six years old. I have always had a good sense of direction, so when I was young I easily memorized the layout. When people come from India to visit us, I do tours for them in their our native language. I also know where we can get vegetarian meals. When I was little, they used to buy my ticket and a souvenier to say thank you. I was always happy to take someone and show them why I love the park so much. Now I only do tours 3 or 4 times a year. I also have a guide that I wrote in case I am not available to go.

sdfilmcritic
09-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Only when I want to be helpful or want to show off like a smarty pants. :)

squuggy
09-20-2004, 03:57 PM
I find myself exactly in the position of being the DL tour guide for my upcoming trip. (16 days... I can hardly wait!) My best friend and I are going, and he has never been. Somehow or other he has placed complete faith in me to act as tour guide and select our entire itinerary. Thanks to the heads-up on the www.oitc.com site I feel like I can be truly knowledgeable and prepared. I have always had a head for trivia and should be able to spout off facts like the professionals in plaid. 16 days and counting: :D

splashmtngurl
09-20-2004, 04:06 PM
I am only 14 years old but know where all the attractions are, where certain resteraunts are, where you can buy certain souveniers or food and i even know where select statues and lanscape icons are. I love disneyland and like i've said before i dont get to visit enough!!!!! when i am in college (i intend on going to ucla academy of fine arts where i want to study to be an imagineer) i want to work at DL in the summer, perhaps as a tour guide. You know i have read so many DL toure guide books i think i could write one myself ;)

SCUBAbe
09-20-2004, 05:10 PM
restrooms yes, food probably not it's not my top concern on any trip, recite the words to rides? absolutly not. I ahve never had the desire to memorize them and I usually tune them out. Just recently I have tried listening for them more, but I still end up tuning them out...LOL

I have taken many new bees to DCA and shown them around, I sure felt like a tour guide..LOL..I also once took about 15 people down to the boiler room of the Queen Mary at 10:30pm. They asked if I worked there...LOL..I was telling them all what use to be there..:)..then we went up to lok at the public rooms..:)

mjformenotyou
09-20-2004, 06:46 PM
when i am in college (i intend on going to ucla academy of fine arts where i want to study to be an imagineer) i want to work at DL in the summer, perhaps as a tour guide. You know i have read so many DL toure guide books i think i could write one myself ;)

I extend my wholehearted good luck to that! :) :)
I applied to the same program at UCLA and was incredibly surprised with the application process (and how unappropriate it was in comparison to other art school applications). 4 slides only. FOUR! Any more, any less, they throw out your application (FYI, an average art school portfolio usually has anywhere from 15-20 slides of artwork). Also an essay, which isn't required in the UC application process. This was all in addition to the general UC(LA) application.
The acceptance rate to the art program is 12%. They only take in 24 new students per year. I was not accepted, but was guarenteed a transfer acceptance (which may be only in regards to my California resident status, not sure), but I instead opted to go to my school where I am at now.
Probably didn't help that when I was applying, UCLA was projected to be the hardest school to be accepted into, heh. :rolleyes:

SoCalDude
09-20-2004, 06:57 PM
My wife is getting pretty good at most of that - but only in DL, as we do not wast.. err spend that much time in CA.

Now Legoland - I am the man :geek: I know more about that place than the workers at times. :geek: :geek:

Mermaid
09-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Yes, I know where all the bathrooms are, but for different reasons! When I was a kid we went to DL every 1-2 years. My mom has to go to the bathroom ALL the time. It was sooo annoying to want to run to the next ride but have to stop at the bathroom. I think we stopped after every ride. BUT, that torture has been benifcial b/c I know where every bathroom is and I can get in and out quickly to continue my day!!

Pirate Girl
09-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Definatly! To the point where I have trained my brothers not to use park maps (they make you look like a tourist :geek: ), not only do I know which rides are crowded and when, but which gift shops, bathrooms, restuarants, ticket booths, walkways, ODV carts. I also completely freaked my friends out by taking them into DL via the monorail the other day and bypassing the mega long lines out front. (Apparently, they didn't know you can do this.)

Being a tour guide is my hobby. :D

sdfilmcritic
09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
My wife is getting pretty good at most of that - but only in DL, as we do not wast.. err spend that much time in CA.

Now Legoland - I am the man :geek: I know more about that place than the workers at times. :geek: :geek:
Testing the waters of your knowledge.....

Where can the "yellow diamondback" black snake be found at LLC?

What is the name of the big red dino with the waterhose?

Where can you find the LEGO company's founder Ole Kirk Christensen?

Who is the sleeping bald man wearing the Hawaiian shirt (the name is not important as much as his relation to LLC)? (Note: the same bald man can be seen in front of the LEGO store in Downtown Disney)

Name all the Fairy Tales seen in Fairy Tale Brook.

(Unless he's been moved since the last time I saw him) Where can you find Elvis Pressley?

What's the expected capacity of Coast Cruise? (Even though the unnofficial record is at 53 people in one boat)

Where can the Saint Louis archway be found?

Are the bricks used for the Taj Mahal and the Eiffel Tower curved or straight?

When the park opens which attraction's queue line fills up with guests quicker than any other ride in the park?

tlovesdis
09-21-2004, 06:47 AM
My family calls me the Disney Tour Coordinator! I make all of the plans for our trips, including reservations for dinners and stuff! I am obsessed, but I love it!!!

rentayenta
09-21-2004, 07:10 AM
I am the tour guide but I also like the kids to guide us. When we get there, DH gets his assignment for getting Fastpasses but after that he's home free. I will take the reigns if we see a princess with hardly any line or a short line for a ride but for the most part I just give helpful suggestions.

I do know where the pottys are. Good thing because we are almost finshed potty training DS. I am so close to being able to burn the diaper bag :D

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
09-21-2004, 08:12 AM
i am the greatest tour guide alive!!!!! muhahahaha :D

you need to know, i got the 4-1-1 on it!