PDA

View Full Version : space mountain

yasudab
09-19-2004, 07:06 AM
Why does it take 2 years to rebuild space mountain and buzz light year, when Disneyland was build in 1 year?? Is it that they are just taking time and not concentrating on it?

D-lander 1956
09-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Good question . . . I think we would all like to know that answer!

Especially since the claim is the that the SM track will remain the same!?!

Disneyfreak
09-19-2004, 07:14 AM
The foundation had to be completely rebuilt in the attraction. That is why it is taking so long to rebuild. Not to mention that the system and effects are going to be state of the art which take a very long time to do.

Dlandmom
09-19-2004, 07:32 AM
Plus, they they had to dismantle the ride first before they could rebuild it.

Leap for Joy
09-19-2004, 07:57 AM
And, they're not working with an empty site. They have to build within the constraint of having the building in place.

SCUBAbe
09-19-2004, 08:06 AM
also, when DL first opened there were no roller coasters. Alot of the first rides use the same type of track. It would not take long to just duplicate the same thing over and over. :)

DisneylandForever
09-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Why does it take 2 years to rebuild space mountain and buzz light year, when Disneyland was build in 1 year?? Is it that they are just taking time and not concentrating on it?

Um, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that back in '54-'55, some guy named "Walt" was overseeing the project. ;)

Disney Vault
09-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Um, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that back in '54-'55, some guy named "Walt" was overseeing the project. ;)
Those were the days. (even though i wasnt born yet)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-19-2004, 01:09 PM
I agree with what everyone else said. I also doubt it is being worked on 24/7

King of the Frogs
09-19-2004, 02:20 PM
In 1995, there were probably 2 inches on the bookshelf of rules, laws, regulations and engineering requirements. Not to mention about 3 agencies that had to review and approve things.

Now, there are (don't doubt me on this - I'm looking at them) - about 180 inches (that's 15 feet) of regulations, etc. pertaining to design, engineering, architecture, electrical, systems, safety, etc., etc. I count 17 different regulatory and review bodies on the first 3 shelves.

To just design, engineer and draw a single attraction these days would take 10 people literally months. The engineering review, another month at least. The final working drawings and agency review, another 2-3 months.

Then you have to start building the beast - consider that the typical E/D -ticket attaction (such as a dark ride) is comprised of at least 3 or 4 different major elements (site & building, ride mechanicals, infrastructure to support it all, and reconfiguring the surrounding park areas) you can understand the complexity.

Probably at least 100 different vendors/contractors involved, given the sheer magnitude of systems involved. Think they all work weekends and evenings?

Anyway, you get the idea - 95% of what was built originally has been redesigned and rebuilt to keep up with modern standards. If you were to build the park today from scratch (assuming you had a few billion in cash), it would probably be a 8 to 10 year project from land purchase and initial approvals to opening the gates.

Regards; KotF

TempoNZ
09-19-2004, 03:52 PM
With all that in mind have things improved?

Most of the regulations were put in place for safty and environmental reasons I presume. Now I guess environmental standards have improved but has all the regulation actually made things safer? I guess these days rides are of the type that are more likely to cause injury but still. Luckily in NZ we don't have the "Se everythign that moves" mentality that seems to be the case inthe US so Lawyers are kept out of the equation which I presume adds a lot to the regulations. (Here we don't sue for Accident Compensation instead the state pays for any accident costs etc which means no cout cases in most cases.

On poblem I see is we make things "safer" but all we are doing is making it so if you do something stupid you don't get hurt. What this does is ncourages people to be stupid because it is safe to do so. For example when I was young I could ride at th back of the train in the open air. There was a little platform there with rails. Now this area (f there art all) is fully enclosed incase someone jumps off or falls etc. As long as I held on and didn't jump I was safe, basically I could be stupid. It seem that we a dumbing down people to me.

I would be intereted to know how long Hong Kong Disny is taking from start to finish. From what I saw when they built their new airport they will work 24 hours a day7days a week and be very very very organised about it. Everyone tries and does the best job they can and everyone is more interested in the output of the project and that it is done correctly than about how things could be better for them etc. I work there for 6 months doing some work on the IT stuff and was highly impressed with their skill level, commitment and resourcefulness (Considering they had to build an island to put the airort on and high speed train links etc they did very very very well.). It'll be intereting to see how they put this project together.

King of the Frogs
09-20-2004, 05:40 AM
Your points are well taken, especially regarding attorneys (the bane of modern existance). Take note, however, that a lot of the HK Disney attractions and ride vehicles are actually being built here.

For example, the Jungle Cruise boats are built in Costa Mesa, California, shipped to DLR Anaheim, then themed and finished off there. Eventually, they ship to HK. Guess some things are just too important to be left to the "locals", heh?

Regards; KotF

sediment
09-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Yes, I think it's the building. It's also a one-of-a-kind (until HK park is finished). The track isn't simply ready to be replaced at any given time.
Anyone recall the order in which DL's Space Mountain was first built?
Here's my guess:
1. Dig hole.
2. Pour foundation with track footprints.
3. Build building, no top. (easier to put track in place with crane).
4. Put track together.
5. Put top on.