PDA

View Full Version : Fruit trees in DCA and Massive oranges!

Hakuna Makarla
09-19-2004, 05:57 AM
While walking in DCa we came apon a small grove of tree's that had these massive oranges ( I think they were oranges !) and we thought they were the biggest oranges we had ever seen! When we walked past the next day there was a huge orange laying out side the fence so we picked it up and took it with us. It was green so we took it home with us and I finally opened it up 3 weeks later only to find it very dry and not to tasty. It was aparently an orange but really, I had never seen an orange that big in my life! It looked like some one crossed an orangwe with a grapefruit.
Also in this orchard was limes and such, what do they grow the fruit for? I was thinking maybe ther resturants there for garnisment since we did get orange slices with breakfast and dinner.
You californians must get some great fruits there! I envy thopse who can grow fruits, here we have to fight to get concord grapes( we can not find them here so we ordered them and had them sent here) and of course avacodo's! we pay up to 1.50 for one. If we could grow them I would have several tree's! Oh the joys of living some where warm!

CoasterChickie
09-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Maybe they're just there for decoration. You were in Orange County after all!! Gnuck Gnuck!! :~D Isn't Florida where the best oranges for eating come from? You can come visit me if you want the best artichokes and strawberries!! :)

Javanod
09-19-2004, 07:43 AM
Isn't Florida where the best oranges for eating come from?

Watch out there, Chickie, or the Governator is gonna come by and revoke your Kali-forniah card
:eek:

Our oranges here are just fine, thank you! I think more orange juice from U.S. oranges comes from Florida sources, but I'm thinking California grows some nice eatin' oranges too - just not in paved amusement parks! :D

Hakuna Makarla
09-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Maybe they're just there for decoration. You were in Orange County after all!! Gnuck Gnuck!! :~D Isn't Florida where the best oranges for eating come from? You can come visit me if you want the best artichokes and strawberries!! :)
LOL! cute girl!
say I have never eaten a artichoke, but hear there tasty! And a strawberry, boy you have it good there LOL! here I was lucky and got 12 tomatoes and 2 squash, I planted 8 tomato plants and 1 squash, and 6 green peppers and 4 chili pepper plants, got some chili's but my green peppers got frosted already :( so my growing is not to good here. My tomatoes were very small and for some reason began to rot on the bottoms before they even turned red. I guess I just do not have a green thumb. and the growning season here is real short. 20 miles from my place they have a better time growing, its our location, we are in the mountains and it gets colder then the rest of montana ( except glacier park and yellowstone park, boy its down right bad there brrrrrr !

SCUBAbe
09-19-2004, 08:03 AM
those tress are in the farm area. They are displaying the different types of food that grows in california. They had avacoda trees there two. At least two different types. I love that area. They use to have crops and change them with the season. that must have been a PITA because now they just have regular flowers and such growing there. If the orange was green it probably wasn't clost to being rpe yet. Maybe thats why it was dry inside. California does grow really good oranges, but for some reason the last ornages I bought in the store were from africa??

I finally have a small avocado tree. Well, I hope it grows inot a tree. Right now it's only aboyt 4 inches tall, but there are leaves on it. I have high hopes. The seed came from an avocado from my grandmothers tree in Downey. She has so many they fallon the ground and this one seed had alreday started to root. So, I planted it. I'm hoping t does well. :)

Hakuna Makarla
09-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Scubabe, maybe your grandmother can sell the avacodo's? Ok we would gladly buy them from her every year ok ! seriously, we have always loved them, but when I was growing up my mom used to buy one once in a great while as a treat. She loved them as I do and we just could not afford them. I guess if one could buy them back then, they would not have been forbidden fruit right LOL! It always tastes better when you can not have it ha ha ha and I could not have it when I was a kid! Isn't it funny about child hood memories, if there was something you liked and could not have it when you grow up you have to have it all the more. I still will not pay there prices for them, so I just enjoy once in a while. I hope your tree grows big and strong SCuBabe!!

Drince88
09-19-2004, 08:14 AM
My tomatoes were very small and for some reason began to rot on the bottoms before they even turned red. I guess I just do not have a green thumb. and the growning season here is real short. 20 miles from my place they have a better time growing, its our location, we are in the mountains and it gets colder then the rest of montana ( except glacier park and yellowstone park, boy its down right bad there brrrrrr !

I think what you had is blossom end-rot. I seem to recall it was a mineral deficiency (calcium?)- or it could be a water-related problem.

The key to growing veggies in short-growing-seasons is to A-start the plants indoors (don't plant seeds outside) or else buy seedlings from the store and B- make sure you get varieties with really short maturation cycles -early girl tomatoes and the like.

Susan L
09-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Watch out there, Chickie, or the Governator is gonna come by and revoke your Kali-forniah card
:eek:

Our oranges here are just fine, thank you! I think more orange juice from U.S. oranges comes from Florida sources, but I'm thinking California grows some nice eatin' oranges too - just not in paved amusement parks! :D

That's right, when I was a little girl most of Southern California was all orange groves. We use to go to the little farmers markets on the sides of the road and get huge bags of them, and they were very yummy. As a matter of fact there were lots of different crops grown there. In Torrance where I grew up we had a huge dairy that surrounding our neighbor. We also had these Japanese nurseries that grew just about everything. That was back in the late 50 early 60's, then the city bought up all the property and built more track homes.

SCUBAbe
09-19-2004, 08:19 AM
Scubabe, maybe your grandmother can sell the avacodo's? Ok we would gladly buy them from her every year ok
next time you come I'll bring some to you. They seem to be on her tree all the time. They are not the hass(sp?) variety (my favorite), but they are still good. I would ship you some, but they have this law that we can't ship produce out of the state. :(

Hakuna Makarla
09-19-2004, 08:25 AM
you can not ship out of state? wow thats terrible. I remember when I went into california when I was 18 they said we could not bring in fruit or vegtables, so I had to dump my fruit out. but I did not know you can not ship out. BUMMER!

SCUBAbe
09-19-2004, 08:43 AM
you can not ship out of state? wow thats terrible. I remember when I went into california when I was 18 they said we could not bring in fruit or vegtables, so I had to dump my fruit out. but I did not know you can not ship out. BUMMER!
maybe I have it backwards?? ...yep, I just asked my BF. We can ship out, but not bring fruit in unless it is inpected....the blonde attack strikes again...LOL. I'll see if she has any next time we go for a visit..:)

CoasterChickie
09-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Karla-Right now it's pears, pears, and more pears. I wish I could ship them all to you. In the spring I'll ship you some artichokes with exact directions of how to prepare and cook them. The last time I sent artichokes to someone out of state, she put them in a food processer before she boiled them!!! Then she wondered why anyone would like such a "stringy" vegetable. Another gal put the leaves down her garbage disposal and killed it!!

SCUBABe-I saw those trees and plants in DCA. Unfortunately, most of them were wilting from the Labor day weekend heat!! I like spring when all the orange blossoms smell really good!! :)

SCUBAbe
09-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Karla-Right now it's pears, pears, and more pears. I wish I could ship them all to you. In the spring I'll ship you some artichokes with exact directions of how to prepare and cook them.

:)
I've had an artichike plant for years and then last summer it just died. I planted a new one and it seems to be doing good. Have you ever let the artichoke flower? Mine made a huge purple flower once :)

DopeyWife
09-19-2004, 05:22 PM
I finally have a small avocado tree. Well, I hope it grows inot a tree. Right now it's only aboyt 4 inches tall, but there are leaves on it. I have high hopes. The seed came from an avocado from my grandmothers tree in Downey. She has so many they fallon the ground and this one seed had alreday started to root. So, I planted it. I'm hoping t does well. :)

I would love to have an avocado tree! I told my husband that when we buy a house, I am totally going to plant one in the backyard. :)

Hakuna Makarla
09-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Dopyswife, you can always plant one now in a pot and replant it when you get your new home! that way it will be pretty nice sized once you move into your new home and you will have avacodo's much sooner :)

DopeyWife
09-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Yeah, but I don't know when we will be getting a house, and I don't know how long it takes the trees to grow. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Thanks for the idea though!

ModHatter
09-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Man, we have an avocado tree that produces, but I cannot get any others to grow. And it would so help block out the neighbors. At my height, a cinder block wall just doesn't git er done.

Meanwhile, are the apples in Tomorrowland real? I figured probably not, but I was told the Agrifuture plants by the Depot are real, so I'm not sure.

Tigertail777
09-19-2004, 11:33 PM
nope they are AA's... they play fruit music every hour, and then transform into cute fruit dolls.

LOL couldnt help it sorry.

artichokes are yummy when we can afford to get them. Havnt had one in eons. MMM makes the mouth water....

ModHatter
09-19-2004, 11:45 PM
nope they are AA's... they play fruit music every hour, and then transform into cute fruit dolls.

Now, if only the trees would come to life and say something like, "How would you like it if I picked something off of YOU?"

Tigertail777
09-20-2004, 12:24 AM
LOL!!!! great Wizard of Oz ref mod!!! That would be hilarious... can you imagine a kid reacting to that???

CoasterChickie
09-20-2004, 01:19 PM
I am SO glad that they sell fresh fruit in DL at several locations throughout the park. I was at another amusement park once and everywhere they sold fruit it was covered in sugar or heavy whip cream. I just wanted a plain apple or banana. I finally saw a basket of fruit so I ran over to it...turned out to be a display of plastic fruit!!

ModHatter
09-20-2004, 01:38 PM
I am SO glad that they sell fresh fruit in DL at several locations throughout the park. I was at another amusement park once and everywhere they sold fruit it was covered in sugar or heavy whip cream. I just wanted a plain apple or banana. I finally saw a basket of fruit so I ran over to it...turned out to be a display of plastic fruit!!

I had the same experience... only it was a funnel cake with a mountain of whipped cream and sprinkles...

Speaking of dessert, will they EVER have the Crispitas open again at Paradise Pier? These weren't just the apple nachos, these were like freaky good sounding treats.