PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Memories

ModHatter
09-19-2004, 01:33 AM
A few things... With all the pin trading going on, I can't help but remember my 1984 Olympics pins, featuring Disney characters doing the sports. And then I wonder, where the heck did these come from? I was never that into pins, and at that time, I was only going once a year, so if anyone has a clue about them, fill me in.

I also remember, probably around the same era, going to Thumper's Easter Egg Hunt or something like that, and getting a button for it. I haven't read anything about this on the forums, so I assume this is something that isn't done anymore. Was it a one-time thing?

Finally, I sort of have it in my head that this may be related to the Easter thing, but I remember going to the park at least once and there being all sorts of midway games set along some of the walkways. I can't think of any locations with enough space, but I seem to recall they were maybe on the way back towards iasw. This would have been between 1976 and 1990, but again, I'm thinking it was around 1984. Did this actually take place, and if so, what was it for? Aside from Paradise Pier, this seems very unDisney to me.

Tigertail777
09-19-2004, 05:22 AM
Cant help you on the other stuff, but the pins I know exactly where those came from. Mcdonalds and Disney had this tie in thing for the olympics that year, where you could buy pins at Mcdonalds (I think you had to buy some kind of meal to get them). My dad still has some somewhere, and his hat that goes with them from when he worked at Mcdonalds. Most of the pins, hats etc featured sam the eagle (from America Sings), I guess he was the unofficial mascot chosen for the games, I always found it kinda odd myself.

Oh and the midaway games were probably for the "state fair" theme they tried out once, if memory serves they had a ferris wheel in the hub for that, and lots of carnival themed stuff.

SarahShep
09-19-2004, 04:48 PM
I think they did the Disneyland State Fair thing more than once, as it's a recurrin g memory of mine from childhood. I remember going to the pig races more than once, but it would have been in different years since we never went more than once a year. I'm curious as to how many times they did this...Anyone know? That's gotta be what midway games you are remembering...My aunt won me a frog from the frog-flipping-thing one of the years, so I know they were in existance.

And they did have a giant ferris wheel...I definitely remember that!

splashmtngurl
09-19-2004, 04:59 PM
So does anyone know if ModHatters pin is valuable? ModHatter is there anyway you could get a picture of the pin for us?

ModHatter
09-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I will see if I can locate the pins. I know where they USED to be, but my family are all packrats, and my efforts to organize backfired in a big way. I also have a VAGUE notion that there was some haunted Disney button from the same era, and I'm picturing it as orange and purple, with a white ghosty thing, but that was an even fuzzier memory and may have nothing whatsoever to do with Dland.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the help so far. I definitely have more leads to follow.

experiment626
09-20-2004, 11:13 AM
I remember something about an egg hunt too and getting to pick ONE egg and getting a prize.

Tref
09-20-2004, 11:57 AM
I remember something about an egg hunt too and getting to pick ONE egg and getting a prize.

Yes, I seem to recall something about finding an egg, too. And also a slice of bacon. Though I wasn't given a prize per se, though I was handed something called "a bill" and I was instructed to "pay it."

I have a few more fuzzy memories -- I seem to remember walking through DL with a distinct limp -- now, who this distinct limp was I never knew, though much later I noticed that I had forgotten to remove the shoe horn from my boot.

I also remember being at the park once during something they called, "the day" that later turned into something equally puzzling called, "the night." Then we were told to exit the park and return to our "automobiles." Whereupon two consanguineous authority figures took me and my sister "home." Maybe somebody with a keener knowledgeable of DL history can tell me when that occured.

I also remember something about a big mountain and a sugar stick called a "churo"

I remain,

Forbin
09-20-2004, 12:08 PM
I remember one time I was one of the last people to leave disneyland and the Tram guy took us DIRECTLY to my car. He was like, well there is only one car in this lot no one here right? Then I waved and he dropped us off right in front of it. Ahh memories.

Of course my car was parked about the same spot where Grizzly Rapids is now in DCA :)

ModHatter
09-20-2004, 12:29 PM
So okay, I found a bit of info on the thumper Easter Egg Hunt. I guess this started in 82:
http://www.perry.com/disney/cards/card28.html

But the pin I have matches the 83 button seen here:
http://www.fantasiescometrue.com/BUTTONS/teeh83but.htm

Sounds like one mystery down at least.

rentayenta
09-20-2004, 07:36 PM
I have a real fuzzy memory. When I was 4 my babysitter worked at the Silohuette shop on Main Street. I remember that she would take me to work with her and going back stage to some sort of *daycare* area. I remember that a CM (wearing a plaid skirt and some sort of hat) would walk with us around the park to ride the rides. This was in the early 1970s.

rentayenta
09-22-2004, 11:19 AM
can anyone confirm this behind the scenes babysitting area that I remember?