PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? [ToT concepts]

englishdisneylandfan
09-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I don't know whether this has been discussed before but im gonna say it anyway. I had an idea after seeing a picture on miceage. Do you think the disney imagineers had planned a tower of terror for dca from the beginning but with a new story. Because when you stand in condor flats the runway points directly at tower of terror, and i think the new story would have been a plane crashed into the hotel when taking off, or something similar. Of course after 9/11 this story would have been totally inappropriate, but do you think this may have been disneys plan. This would have given tot more of a place in the park.
What do you think????

Disney Vault
09-18-2004, 11:10 AM
I dont think this was planned out to have the runway pointed at ToT and i think people who get offended by this need to take a chill pill. :D

TP2000
09-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Previous to DCA's opening in February, 2001 there had never been any hint as to what major new attractions were coming next. The only thing rumored to be up next for DCA, three years after it was built, was an Ursula spinner ride in the eastern helix of Screamin'.

Remember, DCA was going to coast for three full years before it needed something new. That's how super-confident the TDA execs of the era were about the new park.

But, as we all know, the story panned out radically differently once the place opened. They scrambled to rush the Electrical Parade back into production, they slapped Millionaire into a temporary building, they took ten bucks off the ticket prices for adults and let kids in for "FREE!", they rushed to get some kiddie rides built for Bug's Land, they shuttered a major theme restaurant and shoehorned in a kiddy show..... and they greenlighted Tower of Terror.

It was all a very frenzied and panicky time for TDA as DCA fell flat on it's face and became a laughingstock with no crowds. I don't think they had given much thought to a Tower of Terror placement until after the park opened. And I truly believe the juxtaposition of the Tower at the end of the Condor Flats runway was simply a coincidence.