PDA

View Full Version : Little bit of nostalgia... [PotC queue]

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
09-18-2004, 08:57 AM
on my last visit to DLR we were headed towards POTC and realized that the fast past was closed and they were using both sides for the stand by line.

i know its nothing major but it made me smile and kinda think about how it usedto be like that...i know i know...im lame :geek:

Susan L
09-18-2004, 10:30 AM
on my last visit to DLR we were headed towards POTC and realized that the fast past was closed and they were using both sides for the stand by line.

i know its nothing major but it made me smile and kinda think about how it usedto be like that...i know i know...im lame :geek:

Your not lame, I can remember when there were A, B, C, D, and Etickets to get on the rides and usually you only got to ride them once, unless mom and dad had extra cash and could afford to buy an extra ticket book, no fastpass in those days. You would chat with the people in line and the CM's would entertain you if the lines were to long.

disneyperson
09-18-2004, 10:47 AM
I remember that the Jungle Cruize guys were very proud of their e ticket status. The whole time we'd wait in line, they'd be calling out, "Yes, folks, this an E ticket attraction! The world famous Jungle Cruize right here! Have those E tickets out and waiting! Yesiree, E tickets for the most amazing attraction in DL...." pretty funny.

Opus1guy
09-18-2004, 10:57 AM
"Yes, folks, this an E ticket attraction! The world famous Jungle Cruize right here! Have those E tickets out and waiting! Yesiree, E tickets for the most amazing attraction in DL...."

"...That's E as in Exceptionally Excited Elephant!" Yep. I remember those spiels. :)

I also remember when Pirates didn't have the bridge in front of it or the stairs leading up to the Disney Gallery. Just flat pavement right up to the front door.

Main Street Magic
09-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Opus - I believe that the quote should be "Please Remove your E Coupon.....That's E as in Extremely Excited Elephant Eating Eggplant Every Easter Evening!............" :D

DisneylandForever
09-18-2004, 01:03 PM
I also remember when Pirates didn't have the bridge in front of it or the stairs leading up to the Disney Gallery. Just flat pavement right up to the front door.

I remember that too. I also remember when the Penny Arcade actually had video games! And that shop in Frontierland (can't remember its name, nowadays it's called the Pioneer Mercantile) used to have a row of shooting bear games, like the ones Dudley Moore played in "Arthur."

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
09-19-2004, 06:57 AM
i was also listening to vision fantasmic or something like that...

and the pirates ride came on, and as i was listening to it there seemed to be more pirates talking during the "cantina" and "captain quarters" area, anyone else ever notice that either?

D-lander 1956
09-19-2004, 07:04 AM
And does anyone else pine for the original "not politically correct" scenes? :eek:

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
09-19-2004, 07:04 AM
I Dooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! :p

SCUBAbe
09-19-2004, 08:50 AM
And does anyone else pine for the original "not politically correct" scenes? :eek:
yes, how is it not ok to chase women, but it's ok to sell them??? Geezz...just out the ride back to the original way. I also think it looks wrong the way it is now. The men are chasing the food and the plump woman is chasing food...thats just wrong...

missm
09-19-2004, 11:26 AM
yes, how is it not ok to chase women, but it's ok to sell them??? Geezz...just out the ride back to the original way. I also think it looks wrong the way it is now. The men are chasing the food and the plump woman is chasing food...thats just wrong...

My mom and I laughed about the heavy lady chasing the food last time we rode! Don't the men have her food and she is chasing them? It's been awhile since I've been so my memory could be fuzzy. Men chasing women is more realistic then women chasing after food.

tahnok100
09-19-2004, 11:35 AM
I think Walt said it best in an interview right before the ride opened, "Pirates will be pirates". That is what pirates are and do, there is no changing that. Something in history may be morally wrong, but you can not try to change history.

Disney Vault
09-19-2004, 11:37 AM
That is a great quote. I had never heard (read) that one before.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-19-2004, 01:07 PM
My mom HAS some tickets from DL she saved them. May be worth something some day.

I am glad they got rid of the fastpass there. I am not a fastpass fan.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
09-19-2004, 01:12 PM
I think Walt said it best in an interview right before the ride opened, "Pirates will be pirates". That is what pirates are and do, there is no changing that. Something in history may be morally wrong, but you can not try to change history.

thank you so much for putting that quote up... very well said

ModHatter
09-19-2004, 09:58 PM
People make the same argument about Gone With The Wind and some of its depictions. Let's face it, it's a movie made in 1939, about the Civil War era. There are certain truths about those times that we can't politically correct.

Yes, maybe the chase scene, while accurate, is something we shouldn't try to make light of and take entertainment in. But, as SCUBA pointed out, it's okay to not only sell them, but call them Wenches? Let's pick a standard and stick to it. And if we PC it, what will that scene become? Women carrying picnic baskets like that auction scene in Oklahoma? Instead of "Buy a wench for a bride," it'll be "buy a womyn for her baked goods..." Nutty.

I went to a dinnershow in England once, and to get seconds or anything, you had to shout out "Yo, wench!" At first, it was weird for a white bread bleeding heart liberal like me to do it. But after a while, I understood the SPIRIT of the thing, and it was easy to go along with it. Doing the Bunny Hop at a medieval dinner was still weird, even if the person in front of me was cute.

BTW... has anyone listenned to the talking pirate on the ride soundtrack? The un-PC version WAS pretty salty. Not that I ever knew that as a kid, mind you.

tahnok100
09-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks, I heard it on the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD. If you go into the special features there is an old show about the development and opening of the ride. Walt says that (Not sure if that is the exact wording) when the host asks him about that very scene! If you own the movie on DVD I recommend taking a look, it's a great documentary!

AlxVision360
09-20-2004, 07:56 AM
I also wish they would go back to the original "non-PC" version.

Seen through the eyes of a child the pirates are merely playing tag with the women. Why else would they want to catch an "icky" girl? :p

ModHatter
09-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Besides, my favorite used to be the girl in the barrel. Wasn't it Red in our version? She's still there in WDW, but she's a blonde. I always thought it was Red on ours, and that it was kinda funny that she was the one being all flrity, but then when she say the slob that actually bought her, she was the first to hide. But yeah, the cat they put in to replace her is barely visible. I wish they would de-PC it, or think of a better way to overhaul the scene completely. (Leaning very heavily towards option A)

DISNEYloon
09-20-2004, 12:27 PM
My mom HAS some tickets from DL she saved them. May be worth something some day.

I am glad they got rid of the fastpass there. I am not a fastpass fan.

Last time I was at DL was December 03, they don't have FastPass at DL anylonger?

ModHatter
09-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Fastpass is rapidly disappearing. Most noticeably in New Orleans Square.

However, I'd like to see it instituted here and there. Peter Pan... does the line really have to be that long? And of course, if the Subs come back, there was never enough queue area. Maybe they could devise a fastpass-only system. None of this "your fastpass says between noon and 1, but we'll let you on any time after noon" business.

Fastpass was a good idea, but poorly executed. It'd be silly to get rid of it completely.

sediment
09-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah. No way that plump woman can run for that long. Every few laps or so, she should stop, bend slightly, hands on knees, and breathe heavily.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
09-21-2004, 08:27 AM
fast passes will still be kept for:

space mountain
splash mountain
indiana jones
and haunted mansion (to be used for the holiday season only)

other than those i think most of them are going to be shut down

ModHatter
09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Just curious... what about Car Toon Spin? I thought I heard that would be around a while.

And what about iasw holiday?