PDA

View Full Version : Are we getting the polar opposite of Cynthia?

Tigertail777
09-17-2004, 12:35 AM
I just cant help but wonder.... Cynthia Harriss and her crew cared little for the attractions, and put large emphasis on events and stage entertainment. Is Matt the complete opposite? Is he putting large emphasis on attractions, and dumping events and entertainment?

Does ANYONE in upper management realize that Disneyland is not all about one or the other? Does anyone up there "get" that the magic comes from all the combination of details from ALL the different things to do at Disneyland? Do they understand at all that variety they have always offered is what has always set them apart from the competition?

I hope all this "laying off" of entertainment is temporary just to get cash to fix things up again, but I fear they are trying to kill the golden goose again with yet more axeing of traditions and favorite things to do. What is New Orleans Square without live musicians??? You cannot possibly ever get the same feeling from canned recorded music. New Orleans square of the past with live music, mime(s), sketch artists, etc that all added up to a real ambience was a attraction all by itself. Main street would be a lot less of a experience without live performers like barbershop quartettes.

I really hope this is a temporary solution to get liquid cash, because its unthinkable for it to be a long term solution. Why do we always have to have polarized solutions like this, we dont need another version of Cynthia, I really hope that this isnt what Matt truly stands for.

sdfilmcritic
09-17-2004, 12:59 AM
I agree with you about having an equal balance in the park. But it is a
"prime and ripe for the picking" time to get all the attractions up to par and going strong. The idea of loosing staff to cutbacks is terrible, because those jobs are a healthy flow of income for those workers. However, I am assuming CM Matt is taking advantage of the off season to get rid of temporary workers and expendible entertainment to redirect funds to maintenance and construction for a fast track scheduling. Since the crowd numbers are severly lower during the off season there isn't a dire need to have as much street entertainment as required during peak season. This extra money for labor can be redirected to park improvements.

Just continue crossing your fingers hoping that when the construction and maintenance is starting to complete is schedule early next year there will be a flow of funds back toward the entertainment for the peak season. To me it appears to be a matter of priorities meeting a realistic budget at a time when the advantage of gain is at it's peak without too high of a risk or opportunity cost. (Note: Are there any Economics teachers out there to clarify that my last statement makes logical sense?)

BJW
09-17-2004, 01:55 AM
One thing that could be happening is that he is trying to win popular opinion. If this is the case maybe he's focusing his energies on attractions because more complaints were coming regarding that department. Entertainment probably had very few complaints because people were satisfied with it. I agree with Al's approach to send the letter to the entertainment department complaining about the cutbacks. (He has some kind of form letter on his site right now that can be sent in to help the mime.)

I say, don't fix a machine that isn't broke. If people like the entertainment it should be left as is. I guess those compliments at city hall might mean more than we thought. I suppose we should even compliment the "small details" like a mime in New Orleans Square, which is something that contributes to making our day special, even if we only see it when we stop for a few minutes on our way to the Haunted Mansion.

Disney Vault
09-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I have to disagee that one is as important as the other. Attractions are way more important. I am not saying the entertainment isnt important is just isnt as important imo.

olegc
09-17-2004, 03:26 PM
I think it depends on your level of perception or age group. As a little kid - just all the sites and sounds were important. As a teen, rides only (how fast can you run). Theme? What's that? Back Story or Storlyline? Who cares.

As an adult with 4 kids, and now havign immersed myself in Disney theme-park design ideas, I get it when it comes to the "whole package" and making sure that there was something for everyone. It adds to the whole idea of the "land" and escaping from the outside world (well, except DCA). I can't see a 70 year old grandma on an outing with her young grandchildren getting in line for Tower of Terror (it could happen, but not often or not likely).

If you look at a lot of the concept art and paintings by Herb Ryman he's always got stuff in there from the idea stage - and what it means to be in older New Orleans (when it had a lot of French/Creole influence) or in Frontierland. Mind you - the All American College Band is not part of the theme of Main Street as the Dapper Dans - but it all is part of the larger scope of things.. A theme park is supposed to be immersive - sights, sounds, people, things to do, ride, eat, explore. That's what has made Disneyland different.

Otherwise all you need is square buildings with rides inside, some churro and popcorn carts, and the souvenir store on the way out.. Oh, wait, that's just up the 5 freeway at Beach Blvd. (just kidding)...

But - back to the topic - I have to agree with a couple of folks that they are making tough decisions right now. If they need money to do a project so it's not delayed before the 50th, and there is no free cash, it's got to come from somewhere - and people/entertainment are easier to cut than rides/food. I don't like it but it's a reality.

SallySkellington
09-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree that different people love rides and theming to different degrees. My mom and brother always want to stroll around and just look at everything, but I'm getting off a ride and wanting to go on another one.

The problem is, I'm always stuck with one of them. ;)

Disneyfreak
09-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Stop freaking out, this is only temporary because they have a tight budget all due to Eisner and his Penny pinchers. They have to focus all funds toward attractions and the park right now because the park is in such a sad state. Once they get everything running money will be put back into entertainment. Dont forget we are getting a huge new parade next year and will make up for this. So dont worry the entertainment shortage is only temporary.

adriennek
09-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Stop freaking out,

This sounds a tad harsh to me. I don't see people "Freaking out" but expressing a concern.

Of course, I have said it before and I'll say it again: I don't get the Cast Member Matt Worshipping thing. I remember when people thought Cynthia Harriss was the cats meow, then suddenly she was considered evil. I'm not saying let's not be optimistic, I'm just saying, I'm going to give the guy a chance to do his job before I put him on any pedestal.

Adrienne

Disneyfreak
09-17-2004, 04:29 PM
He has done a awesome job. For being a million times better then the former management he deserves it. I saw a immediate difference for the good when he stepped in.

sediment
09-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Of course, I have said it before and I'll say it again: I don't get the Cast Member Matt Worshipping thing.
Adrienne
[Sob]It's like I don't even KNOW you. [honnnk, wipe]

sediment
09-17-2004, 05:36 PM
It's also possible that he's feeling the "end of the fiscal year pinch."

BJW
09-18-2004, 02:08 AM
This sounds a tad harsh to me. I don't see people "Freaking out" but expressing a concern.

Of course, I have said it before and I'll say it again: I don't get the Cast Member Matt Worshipping thing. I remember when people thought Cynthia Harriss was the cats meow, then suddenly she was considered evil. I'm not saying let's not be optimistic, I'm just saying, I'm going to give the guy a chance to do his job before I put him on any pedestal.

AdrienneAdriennek, well put. I even remember at one time an author on another site said she thought that Paul Pressler was "charming." We can't even imagine someone saying that today. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think he deserves a chance to prove that his current decisions work well in the long-term. It will be interesting to see how the parks are doing a few years from now.

Morrigoon
09-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Still, better he should cut, say, Aladdin, or Snow White, than Lagniappe. He's one of the few walkarounds left who can still create "magic", especially since the proliferation of autograph books have ruined the rubberheads' ability to do so.

adriennek
09-18-2004, 09:23 AM
He has done a awesome job. For being a million times better then the former management he deserves it. I saw a immediate difference for the good when he stepped in.

I'm sure you did. I just think there's a reason it's called a "honeymoon" period.

I'm going to wait for the romance of the honeymoon to be over.

Adrienne