PDA

View Full Version : Character Dining Changes

Fozzie
09-16-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure if this is old news, but today I learned about a few confirmed changes to DL/DCA character breakfasts. The changes are going to take place sometime next year.

Ariel's Grotto is going to change to a Mickey theme, and Mickey will appear for the first time ever at a breakfast/dinner.

Plaza Inn is going to drop the Pooh characters and change over to a Princess theme. Several Princess face characters will appear together each day.

Paradise Pier Hotel is going to drop Max in favor of a new TBD character for the PCH Grill.

;)

TP2000
09-16-2004, 11:09 PM
These all seem to be good decisions.

The Ariel thing always seemed so forced. That restaurant was wonderful when Wolfgang Puck ran it for the first 9 months of '01. But when DCA fell flat on it's face and Puck retreated to The Block and West LA, it really devolved into horrible food and lackluster service with a side dish of "DISNEY CHARACTERS!". Ariel seems to have been chosed just because they were too afraid to stray far from the forced and weak ocean theme of the nearby Paradise Pier rides. I bet Mickey will pack them in, where Ariel had been just a minor draw.

The Princesses replacing Pooh seems a natural. Although I hope they could offer something for the boys too, so they don't feel left out when their sisters go into cardiac arrest over their scrambled eggs at the sight of Cinderella.

And if PPH really does drop Max, then that will be the smartest move of them all. I have never understood Max. And with his mutant hair and facial features, he really just sort of creeped me out and reminded me of a genetic mistake rather than something loveable or fun.

These would all be very smart moves if they come true. TDA would be very smart to tweak and change all of these current "Character" offerings.

CoasterChickie
09-17-2004, 06:17 AM
These all sound like good changes to me too. I like all the characters at the various breakfasts now, but there's nothing wrong with rotating in new characters. Maybe they should have the princes and the princesses at the Plaza Inn. Max IS strange....and no one seems to know who his mother is!!

dlandnut
09-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Definitely time for a change. I remember the good old days when you used to go to the character breakfast at the tomorrowland terrace and there were TONS of characters. Not quite to many now, but then again, my kids are grown and no longer care about "meeting Buzz or Mickey", but care more about getting to Splash Mountain or some other place, lol. :)

cstephens
09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Fozzie - can you tell us where you got this information from? Just curious. Thanks.

Dlandmom
09-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Maybe they should have the princes and the princesses at the Plaza Inn.

Yep, we need some more characters for the boys. I hardly see Peter Pan anymore.

mystycalchyk
09-17-2004, 10:42 AM
[snip]

Mickey will appear for the first time ever at a breakfast/dinner.

[nitpick]

actually It wont be the first time ever.....proof (http://www.mystrealm.com/user/mystycalchyk/109-0901_IMG.JPG) <---- my honey with Mickey while having a scrumptious Sunday brunch at Club 33 :fez:

Arnie
09-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Yep, we need some more characters for the boys. I hardly see Peter Pan anymore.
We saw Peter Pan on this past Saturday and Sunday Morning as we entered DL when it opened. I think he was out on Friday morning too, been a few days and I forgot already.

sami869
09-17-2004, 11:05 AM
actually It wont be the first time ever.....proof (http://www.mystrealm.com/user/mystycalchyk/109-0901_IMG.JPG) <---- my honey with Mickey while having a scrumptious Sunday brunch at Club 33 :fez:
Well most of us are not lucky/rich enough to be able to enjoy a meal at club 33. Not that I'm bitter or jealous or anything... :)

mystycalchyk
09-17-2004, 11:10 AM
not rich...for sure...but lucky, yes.

it was a fluke. one of those a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend things.

kisroo
09-17-2004, 12:44 PM
I like the change proposals~is this rumor or fact?

I actually never understood why the GC character bfast wasn't a Pooh & Friends theme...seems perfect to me. Don't get the Chip and Dale allure at all.

Interesting about the princesses at Plaza. I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestions to add some of the "adventure" boy characters would be fun, too. Not really enough of that for those who are more interested in that-boys or adventurous girls alike!

We may have to change our reservs from Goofy's to Plaza if our niece gets ahold of this info prior to our March trip! :eek: (shhhhhhh.....Aunti and Uncle prefer Goofys....) ;)

~kisroo :)

ChipmunkStar
09-17-2004, 05:38 PM
I double checked the info with a few folks today. It's all apparently still in the planning stage, but I don't know when it will be totally green lighted.

Fozzie
09-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Fozzie - can you tell us where you got this information from? Just curious. Thanks.

The info came from a character meeting I attended last week.... :)

Wendi
09-18-2004, 11:42 AM
It all sounds great to me... any idea when these changes will take place?

Hakuna Makarla
09-18-2004, 12:32 PM
[snip]

[nitpick]

Great photo, and nice looking hubby mystycalchyk.

mystycalchyk
09-18-2004, 12:56 PM
*gushes with googly love*

yeah....he is the cuuuuuutest ever :fez:

CoasterChickie
09-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Mystycalchky....you have great taste in men....Blue eyed blondes with mustaches rule!!! :)

Fozzie
09-18-2004, 06:12 PM
Oops, I forgot about Club 33.... :eek:

ChipmunkStar
09-18-2004, 11:04 PM
See here's my thing about people nitpicking about Mickey being at Club 33 Brunch. He's not advertised to the non-club members, therefore, it is not technically a character meal to me. Had it been advertised to one and all that they may come on up to Club 33 to visit with Mickey as they dine, then it would be a character meal. However it is not, and therefore it is not. Nya.

shaydie
09-19-2004, 12:03 PM
I ate at the PCH Grill Breakfast with Minnie Friday and wasn't too pleased.

First of all, the whole reason I came to eat there was to see Daisy. I saw Donald once from afar in DCA during my three day trip and that was it! I got Daisy to sign my Daisy Duck telephone, and that was awesome. (The Disney Ducks are my favorites.)

A couple of kids were having birthday parties and we were mainly ignored for them. Part of me understands, but part of me thinks, "Well, my birthday is Sept. 22, and daughter couldn't be here on hers, and we paid a lot of money to fly out here..." We basically had to get up from our table and chase them down except for Pluto, and a very brief visit from Minnie. I feel like the devil or something for complaining about Disney characters, as I love them so much, and they always have that big plastered smile on their faces, but we felt pretty ignored.

We got there a few minutes late, and left about ten minutes after most of the people dining with us seemed to leave, and finally Daisy popped up. I'm so glad I was running late or we wouldn't have even seen her at all!!

I don't know that I'd do another character meal. The best part was the food! It was great. The people working there weren't as friendly as your usual Disneyland park peeps.

Fozzie
09-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Daisy has a tough time - she's a popular character, and she doesn't have a double at PCH. Characters do 30 minute "sets" - so they'll be on for 30 minutes, and then off for 30 minutes. Generally, that leaves them only a half hour to try to get around an entire room. If it's busy, it can be a challenge. Also, the PCH staff requires the characters to help with birthdays, so that (along with breaking for the dance "moment") can also dominate their time - and there is nothing the performer can do about it.

Once in a great while, you'll encounter a performer who isn't doing the best job. But nine times out of ten, they're doing everything they can to visit all the tables.... ;)

DopeyWife
09-19-2004, 05:09 PM
I ate at the PCH Grill Breakfast with Minnie Friday and wasn't too pleased.

We ate there once, and weren't too pleased either. We did really like Ariel's Grotto though. The characters there did try to make it every table and spend time with everyone. We do want to try Goofy's Kitchen and the Plaza with the Pooh characters.